Finding an outdoor knowledgeable doctor

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warren

Reaction score
L: Portland, OR A: snowfield below Rainier
My doctor just closed his practice so I'm looking for a new general practitioner.

In the past, when I've gone to the doctor I've found myself having to educate them on the circumstances a backpacker may find themselves in. Some examples:

Explaining a kidney stone attack that occurred in the backwoods I found myself being interrupted several times with "why didn't you go to the emergency room", the Doctor not understanding "I was 10 miles from road or Ranger".

After treating a puncture wound in buddy's leg I questioned the Doctor about the best way to treat a more than minor laceration when you have to be active for some time to self evacuate. I was advised to use butterfly sutures. Some time after I sliced my hand open and found the sutures to be pretty useless and got the impression on a more suture friendly portion of the anatomy like a forearm they would still not really do the job. I don't think the doctor understood the reality of traveling in the backwoods.

Ultimately I'm going to want to be traveling in remote areas, possibly solo for a week or more at a time, I'd like a Doctor that can understand the issues that may be involved.

Anyone have any ideas on how to find a Doctor knowledgeable in such things or does anyone have any experience in trying to communicate these issues to a Doctor?

I did the SOLO course a few years back (I do need to get re-certified) it was helpful- though the course is designed around the idea of being 2 hours from help and focused on stabilizing with that intent. First responder training will likely cover more of what I'm looking for and I hope to take that when I can spare the two weeks to do so.

What I'm looking for is more of a Doctor who would understand that in the backwoods an ambulance call is sometimes not an option. I'd like to able to have a dialog on these matters with a physician with out having to start out by explaining what backpacking is. Especially if I'm looking at spending several weeks in the Alaskan backcountry.

Wm. Fogey in "Wilderness Medicine", for instance, recommends several Rx only medications to carry, something I thought excessive until I got my second (non wilderness) kidney stone attack and realized that if that happened aways from civilization I would have been in gross danger of dehydration as for a period of several weeks I couldn't keep food or water down.

Being in Brooklyn is double edge sword for this. There's a lot of doctors, one them has to have some sort of background in the outdoors. But finding that one....

I am waiting word back on a job prospect in Burlington VT if that happens or when I do head off someplace for an extended trip (not this year) I may be asking about the internist.

Check with your local/area search and rescue unit and ask if the have a medical dorector. Some do and some don't. There are some doctors that have taken the Wilderness EMT class and know what you need. If that doesn't work, try and explain your situation to them before you need any treatment so they have a better idea what you do. Hope this helps.

When I took my wilderness first responder course, there was a Dr. that also took it. She lives in Boston though. There has to be an outdoorsy Doc in the area of the city. I would check with the American Alpine Club, or maybe email a guide service, and find out who they use, then call that Doc and see if he has any associates in the city.

WFR

Warren,

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are looking for.
Is it a doctor to understand why you couldn't seek medical attention for a week when you come back with a problem? Or someone to teach you long term first aid for backcountry travel? Or maybe some kind of expedition-ship's surgeon like Shackleton had?

I highly recommend WFR training. While the core curriculm is consistent, the courses will differ a bit in focus (winter vs. summer etc.). Maybe you can find one focused on 'long term' trips?

Unless you are using a medical clinic at Everest base camp, I think it is always going to be to your advantages to expain your particular circustances to anyone providing you care.

- Tramper Al, MD & WFR

Sorry I haven't pursued this thread as thoroughly as I would have liked, my net connection has been dead.

For emergency treatment and long term treatment in the back country WFR seems to be the best way to go. For those that suggested talking to an EMT I suspected that would be the best route but I wasn't sure.

Hillman, the American Alpine Club suggestion is excellent.

Tramper Al, I'm looking, primarily for two things: 1. Some help in long term first aid ( I think this answered at this point) and a GP who has an understanding of what backpacking/backcountry travel is.

I realize that I will have to explain the circumstances and specifics involved in a situation but to date my experience has been one of "they don't get it". That is, using the example of the kidney stone attack for simplicity I had to explain several times that walking out from Panther Gorge to Elk Lake or to the interior outpost did not really appear to be a practical option, let alone getting to an emergency room. When asked what to do "next time" I got "go to an emergency room". Some day I'd love to be flown to the Brooks range and dropped off for several weeks and "go to an emergency room" isn't all that helpful. So, I'm looking for a GP to build a relationship that may be more equipped to understand these things. AAC right now seems to be the best option.

Incidentally a nurse did give me some practical advice on the kidney stone: Drink lots of Gatorade. Another Doctor during a later attack made a point to mention that nothing really kills the pain involved and that the "traditional" treatment was... Beer! With enough it kills the pain and makes you pee. So if you see me in the backcountry toting a case on my back...

Warren,

I have several doctors as clients. None of them would fit the what you are looking for, bu they may know of a GP who would. Over the next few weeks, I will make inquiries and let you know if I find anyone.

Steve

I would think that your best bet in finding a doctor that understands all the hiking-related issues that can come up is to look in an area where there's lots of hikers, but since you live in the 'urban jungle', I would think you're less likely to find someone local to you who can help.

Just a few ideas though. Some doctors list themselves under 'Sports Medicine'. While most of them deal with injuries related to sports, you might want to try calling some of their offices and asking if they can recommend anybody. I'm sure you have doctors in NYC that specialize in Sports Medicine.

Also, if you have access to a teaching hospital's library, you might be able to stop by and do a search and see who's done research on the topic. Some doctors are active in their publishing and research and if they are, they are willing to expand their knowledge and would likely welcome a new patient that has concerns related to their research interests.