First and last solo!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

coldfeet

Reaction score
Ok, call me what u want i can take it! Went on my first real solo to Blackhead mtn in catskills sat afternoon. I'm trying to skip some details not to bore u..

First..I'm a bad liar, I told my wife the truth that I was going solo..to make her happier i cxled my plans for sleeping in the lean-to and choose to sleep in the car at the trailhead the night before, bad idea!

At the trailhead i was heating up my dinner and someone drove up just to check out who was there. He lived on that road and was just curious, that was all i needed, NYC guys don't trust anyone..he told me he wasn't a hiker just a hunter, oh yea i'm real happy now. He helped push my car off the ice onto the snow..at 7 pm i tried to sleep early but i thought he was going to come back with friends and "Texas chain saw me"..Ready fo this..I took digital pictures of his name and car and hung my camera on the back of the dec sign for someone to find in case you know what happened. I didn't want to get killed on my daughters b day (other story). I decided to split from that spot and drove to windham and slept in the parking lot of a hotel. (that's another story) I went back to the trailhead at 5am and positioned my car for a quick escape just in case, guess what, a car comes around the culdersac looks at me and leaves, here i go again, he's back with a friend! 1 minute later i split (throw hot stove on my fleece) and drive back to windham to stay in front of a store. Now the car shows up there, oh man i'm dead, he slows down in front of me and throws a newspaper out of the window! Ok i feel better, i go back to the trailhead at 7, get my hidden camera and hike, i did think about the hunter for the first mile. as far as the hike goes, I didn't bond with nature, my butt bonded with the ice, so happy i didn't break a leg. I met Lauren (sp) coming down at the 3500 mark, my step in crampon loosened up and came off, that's why i fell, walked back up 15 tired min to find it. Drove 150 miles and sat in traffic on Hutchinson pky, got to soccer tournament, kissed my daughter a happy 9th bday, sat by myself (sweaty/smelly/sleppy) hey 3 s's..her team won the tournament and she scored a few goals. Promised my wife for real that i won't do that again..to many movies for me..but were you ever scared the first time you soloed?

forgot to apologize for not trusting the guy who helped me with my car and the newspaper guy!

Yeah, but how was the summit? ;)

Never say last. Or was that never say never... whichever. I imagine you can't say that you didn't learn quite a bit. Make a list of the 5-10 things you'd do different if you could do it over. That is your education. The stress was your tuition.

Glad you made it back ok! You passed.

Not usually solo hiking, but I have been a rattled a time or two solo camping.

You will get used to it and come to enjoy it... probably. I do.

Just learn to relax a little more. :D

Keith

Coldfeet -- congratulations on your first solo trip! Don't feel bad about being nervous. I've done a lot of solo backpacking trips and still occaisionally get freaked out. It's amazing what your imagination can do to you when you're sitting in the dark, alone in a shelter or tent! In the light of day, they always make for the best stories. :)

You'll gain confidence everytime you go solo & feel better about doing it!

Or you can just hike with folk from VFTT... :)

- Ivy

I soloed my 47th peakbag in NH up Carrigain. I was a bit nervous but eventually loosended up and had a ball. I even met a guy who worked for the defense department... then ran into him again the very next day way over at Madison Hut on #48. :eek:

Quite an adventure though and will enjoy soloing tons this summer.

Sj

My first few times out solo were kind of scary too.....I blame my father for this! He had all my sister and I believing that Bigfoot was real and even though he had not seen one he claimed to hear them all the time.....thanks dad :) Now that I'm a bit older I know he was only kidding but I still get kind of jumpy when I hear a noise or grouse take off....ok, maybe I let out a little yell now and then too. As far as being spooked by people that has not happened yet. I do take notice of my surroundings at the trailhead as this would be the place most likely to have an unfavorable encounter with someone. I would give soloing another chance...but only if you want too.

-MEB

I solo about half the time including an overnight or two. Its just somewhat different from hiking with partners.

When solo, I'm much more aware of my surroundings than with a partner. Fewer human distractions. I also pay more attention to the navigation and my own condition. I'm somewhat more careful solo--if I srew up, there is no one at hand to help. A GPS can be handy as backup navigation (haven't really needed it yet...) Its a lot like hiking with partners, except they aren't there...

BTW, this includes a significant amount of after-dark time. I carry 2 or 3 headlamps: a powerful one and one or two small ones. (A backup or two and light to fix or change the batteries in the other ones. Either is adequate for hiking--need the bright one for skiing (easy trails after dark).) Same animals around after dark as during the day. I sometimes use a light even when there is enough natural light so as not to surprise any animals. (Making human noises would do the same thing, but I get tired of talking to myself...)

So far, no problems with humans. Not much of a problem once you get away from the road.

My biggest problem soloing is convincing myself to get up early enough to drive 2.5-3.5 hrs to the hills...

So, if you are experienced and confident in your skills, go for it! :)

Standard warning: I dis-recommend winter soloing for beginners. A mistake can be far more serious in winter than in summer.

Doug

Last edited:
You Were Probably Safer In The Lean To. Most Of My Trips Are Solo And I Enjoy The Solitude. The Mind Does Play Tricks Though. I Agree That You Should Not Attempt Alone Early On Especially In Winter.

Hi Coldfeet,

Try soloing again on a nice summer weekend, hiking into a leanto or campsite rather than staying at the trailhead. (I agree that the trailhead is probably the creepiest place to sleep when you are all by yourself.)

I did my first solo overnight last summer, hiking into Gill Brook campsite, dropping my pack and then hiking Dial/Nippletop the first day, and Blake/Colvin the second day. There were a couple of men sharing the campsite. They were friendly and seemed harmless, and in the end, my assessment was right. But I was definitely more cautious, sizing people up more than I normally do. In the end, it was a wonderful, confidence building experience.

CM

Hey McRatt

About the summit, no view, windy, took pictures of signs and myself, sunny, some views before the summit through the trees.

I imagined that i was with a group and they were always a turn ahead of me.

I learned
1. Double check all gear.
2. Don't solo as a beginner (I only have maybe 15 hikes in my lifetime)
3. That LSD from the 70's is still in my blood, heard weird sounds.
4. Try to trust more humans.
5. I like company
6. don't rush to do a "list'
7. I hiked it in 4 1/2 hours (-20 min for lost crampon)
8. Solo is not for me (new name?)
9. Keep window open more so not to frost it
10. should have layered off one more piece

What else can i say? To many "creature feature- chiller theatre" movies.

Coldfeet, you're not alone (no pun intended). I'm afraid of the dark, and I see things in the shadows all the time. Besides, I like having someone to talk to, besides myself. Yes, way too many horror movies as a kid. :eek: :eek:

Hey Coldfeet did the same thing last weekend.
I met Funkyfred and Jay H for dinner in Phoenecia after hiking the east half of the DP (solo). They left for VT and I did not feel like hiking up to Diamond Notch Lean to so I slept in the truck at the TH.
I was more scared at the TH than I have ever been in a tent or Lean to.
I don't really know why. The good thing is after all the hiking it took me 60 seconds to fall a sleep.
The full moon did wake me at 2am as it passed over the window my head was under, it was like someone turned on a light.

It does get easier.
It helps that I have only had good experiences with people in the mountains.
Al

Coldfeet, I commend you for your courage. Most hikers slowly build up their solo experiences from a summer day hike up to a winter backpack. You tackled all of the steps at the same time. Like others have said you might want to try again with a solo summer day hike (even a short one). When that goes well - build upon the experience, and your confidence will grow. I agree with John K that you are generally more safe at a lean-to vs. a trailhead, although I have never heard of a problem at a Catskill trailhead. Most mischief makers won't travel far into the woods. Every time I have needed to ask for help with equipment or car problems I have good experiences with the hikers and residents in the Catskills and other mountains of the northeast.

I do most of my hiking and backpacking solo because of an irregular work schedule. I have never had bad or scary experiences - only my share of self inflicted inconveniences. Being able to solo does allow you to hike whenever and wherever you want. It can be very liberating. When solo I usually see more wildlife; a solo hiker can be more quiet than a group. I also tend to notice more details in the landscape when I hike solo.

For me, solo hiking is the best. :) It has done so much for my confidence and to foster my already strong sense of independence. And given the fact that I deal with "problem" people professionally, I need the balance that alone time in the woods gives me! I've only had a couple of those scary moments, one involved coming face-to-face with a guy with a shotgun raised to my head :eek: (my fault, I thought hunting season had ended!) and one time when I was at a lean-to on the Long Trail that was very close to a road. A group of male hikers approached me and the first words I heard was "traveling alone?" I must admit, I lied :( and said my "boyfriend" was right behind. Like folks keep saying, too many Texas chainsaw massacre movies I guess. But I got out of there quick and even bushwacked my way out so I'd be less likely to be followed!

You did fine, Coldfeet. I started solo camping on canoe trips many years ago. It helped having my dog with me for my first solo in the deep dark woods. After several years of solo canoe tripping, I made my first backpack trip as a solo hike in 2000. It gets much better after you get the first couple trips out of the way. Now I solo anywhere, in any season. It's fun, and quite different than going with a friend.

I did the same thing as TMax in Maine . . . when a bunch of semi-toothless ATVers almost ran me over on the AT/logging road in the 100-mile wilderness, they asked me if I was alone and I lied and said that my boyfriend was ahead of me and I better get going or else he is gonna be upset having to come back to find me . . .

I soloed a LOT more back in the day when I still listened to me parents tell me not to meet strangers off the internet and now I hike with "strangers" off the internet and surprisingly enough they are now my friends.

I have also done my fair share of sleeping in my car at the trailheads both in winter and in summer (until Blue put a stop to that nonsense :) ) and I think trailheads are scarier than lean-tos when you are alone.

I still solo but not as frequently. I used to get so scared all by myself when I first started soloing . . . it is a natural response. I didn't trust most of the men on the trail . . . the hunting or the hiking variety :) but with time as it became a hassle to round up non-hiking friends to go hiking with me, I began doing a LOT more by myself. I bet a lot of the "been on here for a while" VFTTers can attest to my initial solo fears. But it has a charm all its own.

I always take a book with me (usually Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy) and read out loud to myself when I find myself at a campsite ALL alone. When I went out West for 2 months this past summer, I did a LOT of talking to myself to keep my mind off the "boogeyman" so don't be ashamed at all, we are all in the same boat, you might end up actually liking going solo once in a while. I am actually planning a solo backpacking trip in the next couple of months just to have some time to myself in the woods . . . we all come a long way with time and experience.

Have fun and if you are feeling up to it, try it again in the summer sometime, you might surprise yourself.

sli74

I had a scary experience in Wyoming once. i was solo (of course) in the Medicine Bow just north of the Colorado border. It's a very remote place, miles and miles from anywhere. Thunderstorms lurked on the horizon all day as I hustled up and down the exposed ridgelines. In the late afternoon I JUST made it into treeline as lightning began pounding the exposed ridge behind me. I was exhausted from the day and fell fast asleep under my tarp. A few hours later, i woke up and RECOILED with the awareness that someone was shining a flashlight on my tarp from VERY close by. My heart missed a full beat, and I hurtled through shock, panic, and fright. My mind raced through the calculus of the situation: person was too close...NOT OK. Fury! I grabbed my multitool and lunged out from under the tarp with a blood-curdling yell to meet whoever it was head-on with the best defense I could muster.

But there was no one there.

The storm had passed, the air was still. A full moon shined brightly in the sky.

And on my tarp.

Last edited:
sli74 said:
I have also done my fair share of sleeping in my car at the trailheads both in winter and in summer (until Blue put a stop to that nonsense :) ) and I think trailheads are scarier than lean-tos when you are alone.
You can try sleeping at rest stops. They're usually well lit. You may have a little extra driving to do but so what.
Coldfeet: if you're hiking in the Catskills & are afraid to sleep at trailheads, there are plenty of nice rest stops along 87!

The only time hiking solo has ever bothered me -- and I've thought about posting this -- is when you don't see a single soul the entire day, not even a car at the trailhead. For some reason, less it makes me feel scared, and more it makes me feel lonely and desolate. I had this experience when hiking Mt. Garfield in the Whites and Mt. Frissell in the Taconics. I enjoy hiking solo but I enjoy seeing people on the trail and chatting for a minute or so. To me, the true definition of hiking solo is seeing nobody on the trails and so far, I've had a little trouble coping.

Regards,

Dr. Wu

My first solo had me waking up every 45 minutes terribly worried about the (had to be rabid) porcupines rubbing up against my tent making barking baby crying noises. I won't even get into how much hearing Johnny Cash before bed wierded me out....

And I'm always more nervous at trailheads than in the backcountry, though I tend to feel pretty secure in the Catskills, now in the Whites I've never slept well at a trailhead.

I'm not sure I would write off soloing I bet you'll probably go back to it.