First group outing leading advise

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Hi!
I'm organizing a little outing to a small (713m high) mountain in Quebec (Mt Ham for the curious) with some co-workers. Most of them will be their first time snowshoeing. It's a mountain I've done twice (1 summer and 1 winter ascent). What's fun is that it's not too involved of a hike (3-4 hours total), and there is couple of meters to be done above treeline (although there is a summit plateau that is nicely hidden from the wind, which is great to eat lunch). Nice introduction to snowshoeing. Oh, and the mountain is alone in the middle of no-where, so it looks a lot higher than it actually is and the views are amazing.

Obviously, I suggested to bring plenty of food (snacks and a more formal lunch), 2-3L of water (with gatorade if they feel like it), windbreaker, several small layers, good boots, tuque, scarf, mitts (2 pairs), backpack, 2nd pair of socks. I'll be renting some snowshoes at a local store (MEC in Montreal) for everyone. I'll print 1 set of directions for each car.

Anything else I should ask them to bring? Most of them are not avid hikers (yet...lol) and do not have the full blown gear. I offered to lend my 2nd pair of boots if they fit to someone, my 2nd and 3rd pair of gaiters, hiking poles, etc.

Fish

I'd strongly recommend no cotton clothing, and certainly no jeans.

Add flashlights and chemical hand warmers to the list.

Hand warmers
Extra gloves - glove liners because no bare hands should come out
As leader of group like this you want to be a leader but they may mean being last. My experience with first timers is with kids, I prefer being sweep, you need someone who knows where they are going in the back too.

You get to carry extra gear, perhaps even carrying a backpack instead of a daypack.

Fire starter

Good for you helping people get out in winter, this time of year I prefer leading equals with experience so I'm more of a trip coordinator not a leader.

Things nice to have
Gaiors: They can cut off the toes from an old pair of tube socks and pull them up over their boots and pants to form gaitors to keep any deeper snow out of their boots.

A policy - One goes back, they all go back

flashlights and all with spare batteries (check this at the trailhead)

at least one small tube of vaseline lip protection or carmex for the group to share.

50' of rope and a tarp - just in care someone has to lie down for any amount of time.

Extra breadwrappers for their feet, in the event thier boots get wet

an old small pice of carpet in a plastic bag makes a nice seat for sitting down for lunch.
Stainless steel thermos's of soup if they have them

Have fun!!!!

That all sounds good. Just keep the people warm and dry, and they'll seriously consider getting into the hobby. The colder they are, the more likely they'll be miserable and never look back at hiking again.

Don't forget a good first aid kit and a sleeping bag--just in case.

Oh, and you might want to ask anyone who has any type of medical condition to talk with you privately. Sometimes people don't mention things out of embarassment or whatever, and it wouldn't do to have someone develop serious problems from not anticipating what the exercise can do to their condition. You don't want any sudden "issues." If you don't feel comfortable evaluating whether the person has it together enough to do the activity, suggest that they consult their physician.

Years ago I hiked a fair amount with an old AMCer named Paul Wentworth, who was in his late 60s at the time. He was an insulin-dependent diabetic, and he knew more about how to keep his body in balance with food vs. serious hiking than anyone I've ever met. Hiked all over New England in all kinds of conditions, four seasons, including multiple day trips. Even so, his attempt on the AT ended prematurely because that kind of long distance, daily hiking was too much for even his knowledge and experience. Sometimes there's just nothing you can do.

BTW, does anyone here remember Paul? I'm looking back to the early to mid 80's. He lived in Freeport. Amazing guy.

Hi All,
Thanks for the good advise. I had forgotten about the lip balm and the hand warmers (I always carry some in my emergency kit, but didn't occur to me to ask participants to bring their own).

I think proszach hit the spot with his comment!

I'm sure we will all have a good time!

Fish