First Post, First Mountain

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

future46chick

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to this site and from what I can tell you all seem like helpful people, and that's what I need! My boyfriend and I are starting the 46 peaks this summer in the ADK's and I was hoping you all had some information on how to find the trails and such. Any helpful books you've read or website information would be very much appreciated! Oh yeah, what would be a good mountain to start on?

the most helpful book of course would have to be the Adirondack Mountain club's Guide to the High Peaks. You are in luck because the office is Lake George. Why the ADK's guide rather than McMartin's guide? In my opinion because of the excellent map and detailed distance and ascent information in the text. The ADK guide also stays away from giving you their opinion and stays with simple straight line info.
A first peak? The usual first hikes are Cascade and Porter, they come in a pair, Phelps or even Algonquin. I would suggest you get the guide browse through it and pick something you feel is within your ability. My first was Algonquin and 46th was Skylight. One of the first questions asked of a 46r after "what's your number?" is "which peak did you finish on?" So save a good one to finish on. Ideally it is one that has a good view and is rather easy so you can invite friends to celebrate with you. It can be difficult to get a group meeting on Couch. Good luck and stick with it you will get there with persistance. The satisfaction of completing the 46 is one that will stay with you forever.

Mark got there first in recommending Adirondack Journey, so I'll suggest you check the Member Roster on the Forty-Sixers' own Web site:

http://www.adk46r.org/

It lists all 5536 registered climbers and their 1st and 46th peaks. If you look over the list, you may be inspired to try something unusual, rather than what everyone else (seemingly) has done.

Have fun! It's a great adventure.

(Number 4987)

forestnome said:

(Nice Moon shot! I saw the Moon Tuesday this week, when it was just 24 hours old! Amazingly slim. Anyway, back to the thread...)

Whiteface is a great place to finish, since there is an auto road to the top, so just about anyone can meet you there. My parents were able to meet me at the top this way, and join the celebration.

I'd also recommend reading the "It's hot..." thread.

There is a VFTT Gathering in the ADKs this summer, see:

http://vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5106

for details.

As Grace would say, "Good climbing!".

One thing to keep in mind, and it may be covered by one of the resources referred to here, is that the 46'er club wants you to sign up with your first peak. It's not a "do them all then send in one big lump of paperwork" type of organization. You'll get assigned a correspondent and after each peak (or trip) you should write up your accomplishment and send it to them.

MichaelJ said:
One thing to keep in mind, and it may be covered by one of the resources referred to here, is that the 46'er club wants you to sign up with your first peak. It's not a "do them all then send in one big lump of paperwork" type of organization. You'll get assigned a correspondent and after each peak (or trip) you should write up your accomplishment and send it to them.

I used to send in my climbs in batches. I don't think you need to write every time, but do send in the first few soon, and then around 30.

They have writing guidelines here : http://www.adk46r.org/climbingf.html

Welcome to VFTT and the Adirondacks. As posted earlier the Adirondack Mountain Club (ADK) guide books are great (you can get them at Barnes and Nobles and look for the High Peaks volume). Get several good maps (The ADK guide book has a good one and the Nat'l Geographic Trails Illustrated maps are SUPER (they have mileage marked right on them). Another book that you may want to consider is James Burnside's "Exploring the 46 High Peaks". Some of the descriptions on trails are outdated but it provides a lot of insight into the background of hiking the ADK High Peaks and the High Peaks region. Enjoy!...it's a great adventure.

Pat

Welcome to the board.

Make sure you peak your head into www.adkforum.com as well. The 'dax have a lot to offer in addition to the high peaks.

As for your first peak. If you are really going for it, I would totally emerse myself in the High Peaks for a weekend, and see how you like it. That is, if you have the equipment for backpacking. Johns Brook Lodge area makes for a good campsite, with options for paid lodging, tenting, and staying at a leanto. There are many peaks over 4000 nearby, all have great views. Big Slide is a good starter peak, and if (and only if) you have some mountain experience, you may give Gothics a try. Marcy is not out of the question from JBL, and many people choose her as their first.

If you don't want an overnighter, most people choose Cascade and Porter for their firsts. Wright and Algonquin also make good first summits, as does Phelps, although Phelps has a long lead-up.

Whatever you do, make it YOUR hike! There are infinite possibilities for your adventure. Enjoy!

-percious