First post

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taconic

Reaction score
I've been lurking here for a long time and had no idea that this subforum even existed until I got an account. :p

Here are a few things I shot last year. If you've ever run into somebody in the Whites with a red REI pack with a tripod lashed to it, that was probably me.

C&C welcome.

IMG_4531-IMG_4543.jpg

King Ravine dawn pano

IMG_5086-IMG_5095.jpg

Carrigain pano

IMG_5430.jpg

Dawn on South Baldface

All from this autumn.

Very nice shots. I especially like the 1st one as that rock protruding over King Ravine is one of favorite places to sit and soak up the sun and the views.
Your picture shows it in a different perspective from the ones that I've taken.

Thanks.

Yeah, that rock caught my eye. I took my first break of the day on it. It's surprisingly comfy if you lean back.

I think the shot was taken partway up the slope that leads down to it, but I'm not certain.

First off, welcome to the forum. And secondly, lovely pictures. They really make me wish for some warmer seasons to start easing in! :)

Great shots! I agree with ADK88 - gives me nostalgia for the past days of autumn!

I really like the Carrigain shot - great subtle autumn hues. Though I probably could figure it out by searching my map, where was it taken from?

That rock on King Ravine gives me the willies! :D

Welcome to the forum. All three are very good photos.

I am perhaps most partial to the last for its great light and nice fall colors. The Carrigain pano also has a very austere, almost unearthly look which I like very much.

I believe the first photo may be the weakest of the three because of the rather flat light. Overcast, even light works well for exposing subtle details in a landscape. However, it is often unflattering in a scene with great depth. The foreground cliff does not stand out against the more distant ridge as well as it would in brighter light. Often there may not be much you can do except to wait for a moment when the clouds break and the sun illuminates the scene a bit more. On some days that just doesn't happen despite your best your best laid plans and efforts to arrive at a great location for what you hope to be a magical moment at dawn. Nonetheless I commend you for your effort to be there. That is at least half the battle in photography.

Last edited:
I really like the Carrigain shot - great subtle autumn hues. Though I probably could figure it out by searching my map, where was it taken from?
It was taken from Zeacliff at the end of a very long out-and-back Bonds traverse.

One of the toughest hikes I've ever done, but definitely one of the best.

Often there may not be much you can do except to wait for a moment when the clouds break and the sun illuminates the scene a bit more. On some days that just doesn't happen despite your best your best laid plans and efforts to arrive at a great location for what you hope to be a magical moment at dawn. Nonetheless I commend you for your effort to be there. That is at least half the battle in photography.
Yeah, tell me about it. The most amazing sunrise I have ever seen happened on the summit of Mt. Liberty one morning. I set up the tripod and framed a very nice shot (with that large rock prow as the subject) and went to turn the camera on...
...and it didn't go on. It was winter and I had forgotten to put the battery in my pocket. It was dead and I didn't have a spare.

And I've never seen a sunrise quite like it again.

Thanks for the comments/welcome.
Maybe I'll dig out some more later.

Zeacliff

Ah! I've been to Zeacliff three times and it has always been socked in with clouds - no wonder I didn't recognize it! Thanks for the information!

Ah! I've been to Zeacliff three times and it has always been socked in with clouds - no wonder I didn't recognize it! Thanks for the information!
Yeah, all of the pictures I had seen from Zeacliff were taken on cloudy days, so I hadn't even been planning to stop there for more than a few minutes to have breakfast. When I got up there as the sun was coming over the horizon, though, I was pleasantly surprised by the view. It certainly makes up for the lack of views at the top of Zealand.

A few more I've dug out:

IMG_3880-IMG_3889.jpg

An unconventionally formatted pano shot from Pierce. I wish I had been able to find something better for foreground interest, but that light was fading fast and I worked with what was there. It had started as brilliant crimson and faded to the ligher orange that by the time I had actually taken my pack off and gotten the gear out.

Picture%207357-Picture%207361.jpg

A pretty old pano of the Franconias. I wish I had bracketed it. Still, I liked the sort of ominous clouds and muted light.

IMG_5051-IMG_5063.jpg

A pano of one of the best views I've seen in the Whites (from Bond.) I hope to shoot it again one day at sunset. As it was, the only reason that I took the time to shoot a large pano was because I thought the cloud shadows added some interest to the landscape.

As an aside, can anyone ID the sharp-ish peak to the left of Willey that is on the horizon? I originally thought it might be Kearsarge North, but it's too far north for that. It also doesn't look like South Baldface to me. Could it be Wildcat maybe?

Welcome! Nice work.

My favorite is the view from Zeacliff. Has me thinking...;)

I agree with Mark Schaefer. Pay attention to his insights (and those of Grumpy)

happy trails :)