Fitness Water

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adk_dib

Reaction score
ANYONE TRY "PROPEL" FITNESS WATER FROM GATORAIDE? i GOT IT LAST WEEK JUST TO TRY IT. GATORAIDE WARM CAN TASTE LIKE "%^&$". THIS STUFF CHILLED REALLY QUENCHES YOUR THIRST. CLEAR, CLEAN AND NO AFTERTASTE. IT MAY NOT PROVIDE AS MANY NUTRIANTS AS GATORAIDE, BUT IT HAS TO BE BETTER THAT PLAIN WATER. I KNOW EVRYONE WANTS TO HAVE A ICE COLD BEER AFTER A HIKE ;) , BUT THIS STUFF ICE COLD IS GOOD.

I drink it when I'm working out at the gym, which is quite often. Also have had it on the trails. I think it's good stuff, better than regular bottled water. Though it's refreshing I find it is not quite as thirst quenching as a bottle of Poland Springs. But I like it much better than conventional Gatorade. That stuff just makes me more thirsty.
:)

I got some as a promo, they weren't bad - Berry, I think.
However, I am absolutely opposed (and too damn cheap) to ever buy bottles of water - Especially when it costs more than gasoline. To me, that's retirement money that is going down the drain (Literally and figuretively) :)

I've tried it a few times and think it tastes pretty good, but listen to this. One time I was drinking a 20 oz. lemon lime original gatorade, there was about an inch or two left in the bottom. I filled the bottle to the top with spring water, shook it up and guess what, I had propel fitness water!

I save money when I hike by buying a couple regular 32 oz. gatorade, and when it gets low, I top it off with spring water giving me a couple of bottles of 32 oz. propel fitness water. Give it a try, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. TJH

Is it still OK to drink plain old water acquired straight out of a tap, well or reliably clean spring, or filtered out of a brook?

G. ;)

TJH said:
I save money when I hike by buying a couple regular 32 oz. gatorade, and when it gets low, I top it off with spring water giving me a couple of bottles of 32 oz. propel fitness water. Give it a try, I'm sure you won't be disappointed. TJH
Or buy the powder and make the drink at reduced strength.

Even cheaper, search on "electrolyte drink" for a thread which describes my recipe for homemade electrolyte drink.

Doug

Grumpy said:
Is it still OK to drink plain old water acquired straight out of a tap, well or reliably clean spring, or filtered out of a brook?

G. ;)

Or drinking out of the garden hose then spraying your wife who is weeding a flower bed.

Grumpy said:

G. ;)

You are showing your age. Plain water just isn't hip anymore...

For the most part I drink water that just goes through my Brita filter at home or my Sweetwater pump when I'm backpacking. On the few occasions when I will buy flavored water, I buy it for just that. The flavor. It's better for you than other drinks make from water like soda (saspirilla for you Grumpy) ;)
or coffee (double grande mochafrappacappaduncachino for the hipsters). :cool:

TJH said:
One time I was drinking a 20 oz. lemon lime original gatorade, there was about an inch or two left in the bottom. I filled the bottle to the top with spring water, shook it up and guess what, I had propel fitness water!

Personally, I can't justify the cost of the fitness waters. I buy the powdered Gatorade and make my own, but often only use half of the powder they say to use. Indeed, it is the same. Cheaper too! :D

I must admit I avoid drinking most all tap water, even that from the well here on my property.
Still I wonder if store bought water is as free of contaminates as we might tend to believe.
Somewhat over cautious...perhaps..then again I grew up in a town by the name of Woburn (Mass).
Some may know it by the book or movie.. "A Civil Action" about the deaths of the children from town well water.
Sorry if I drifted off topic...some things I shall never forget.

Other than that I have found the Gatoraide web site to be pretty extensive.
One thing I recall is that Gatoraide is desiged to keep you somewhat thirsty on purpose.

Jasonst said:
You are showing your age. Plain water just isn't hip anymore...

This has been a cool, clear thread.

I got a kick out of the age references to my "plain water" remarks. It's true that I am old and somewhat unreconstructed. My favorite water additives are of the distilled adult beverage variety.

On the trail I like plain old fresh H2O . . . in a Nalgene poly bottle, no less. This isn't an economic choice. Oddly, it actually has to do with taste preferences and that silly old "if it ain't broke, don't fix" idea.

Hike your own hike; drink your own drink. And whatever you do, approach life with a sense of humor and have some fun at it!

G.

I too purchase the large tubs of gatorade and carry small amounts in a ziplock to be added to filtered water. Last month I was very disheartened to hear to report the gatorade is now considered to be much worse for your teeth than soda (regular and/or diet). I think the report said something crazy like 11x's worse for your teeth. Something to think about!

IMHO, propel is nothing more than water with sugar cuhnks in it. Water you can chew at times.

I agree with all of the posts above pertaining to using half the gatoriade mix or refilling the bottle when its all but empty. Its just logical.

As a whole there is a kinf o misnomer with fitness drinks. We drink them for an "energy fix" but in all actuality, by the time your body gets what it needs out of it, its all ready been spent and essentially non effective.

Tim Seaver steered me towards this entirely nasty drink (he said it didn;t taste bad but.. damn!) called accelerade. When I am about to run or have a long day I drink an entire bottle or two at the BEGINNING of the day to increase the glycogen stores in my body, then... by the time that is all used up.. I have been driking gatorade to replace what is used. This way I keep up with my body's requirements.

But then again... I'm sure Guy Waterman, The Crawfords and maybe even Joe Dodge drank JUST WATER. ;)

sj :eek:

funny - I am reading a new mountaineerring handbook by a guy named connelly (which is great) and he says drink from the rivers in the mountains and that the chances of getting sick or so slim that they are totally worth taking. I don't know - I always thought bottled water was a bunch of bull - but I do buy gallons of cheap bottled water sometimes - but do drink from the tap as well - never ever had problems. I go to my inlaws in ireland - i drink that tap water as well - never been sick. I have drank from some streams in the whites - don't make a habit from it - but never had problems -
I am starting not only believe that bottled water is nothing more than a marketing scam - but also that by drinking all this filtered stuff - we are doingmore harm to ourselves by not exposing oourelves to stuff.

We have a newborn that has a soy allergy - so began reading up on it - and do you know that "allergies" are more prevelant in the US than anywhere. One theory is that we are way too clean and filtered that our immune systems suffers. I think there may be some truth to that - but I am no MD.

I have tried it all gatorade, etc - and always find myself going back to just plain water. its the best stuff in the mountains for me.

I was at a work conference and there was some new "high class" bottled water from sweden or something there for 5 bucks a bottle - wish I recalled the name - what a joke. Maybe they should sell it at the highland center (never one to miss an opportunity to take a jab at luxury hotel on 302!!)

what do tim seaver and frodo drink?? - now what they do are proven results!!

Last edited:
Sherpa John said:
IMHO, propel is nothing more than water with sugar cuhnks in it. Water you can chew at times.
Check out the ingredients (available on the web for some brands)--the main ingredients of electrolyte drinks are a sugar (not necessarily sucrose (table sugar)), sodium chloride (table salt), potassium chloride, some flavoring, and some coloring. Oh yes, and some water too.

My homebrewed electolyte drink recipe (search on "electrolyte drink" to find it) just uses table sugar, sodium chloride, and potassium chloride. And some water...

It always amazes me how much people will pay for bottled water when safe tap water is available...

BTW, municipal tap water undergos far more safety inspection than does some bottled water. (In fact, some bottled water is just municpal tap water in a bottle with a fancy label and a fancy price.)

Doug

Sara said:
Last month I was very disheartened to hear to report the gatorade is now considered to be much worse for your teeth than soda (regular and/or diet). I think the report said something crazy like 11x's worse for your teeth.
Do you have a reference? I'd be interested in the details.

The biggest problem I can see for gatorade is the sugar. But soda also tends to contain sugar. Some sodas also contain phosphoric acid which reacts with calcium (think teeth and bones...). Soda consumption has been linked to osteoporosis (Perhaps due to the acid content--just a guess.)

Doug

Last edited:
DougPaul

I tried your eletrolyte drink recipe, adding 1/4 cup of lemon juice. (1 liter of water, a couple of tablespoons of sugar and 1/4 teaspoon of Morton Lite-Salt) Loved it. Hate paying for overpriced fitness drinks if I can plan ahead!