Flags on the 48 - 9/11/2005

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Flags on the 48 event is looking for someone to sign up for Mt. Washington. Wildcat D and Cannon Mt. do have persons signed up for them but it does not reflect that on the website. Persons may hike or ride up the Auto Road in order to participate. Flags will fly September 11th from noontime until 2 p.m.. Please PM me if you wish to sign up. Thanks.

The Flags site has been updated, We need some help on Washington, Owl's Head and South Carter. If anyone is interested, please either sign up or drop me a PM. If you signed up to help on one peak and would like to transfer to one of these, please contact me as well. Thanks

Is there a cairn pile on N. Twin? We are bringing a flag up there and I wonder if I will be able to 'plant' it in the cairn, or should I bring ropes, etc. ?

N. Kinsman

Does anyone know who is in charge of the N. Kinsman hike? I signed up to go along but I cannot get a hold of the peak coordinator. Any help is appreciated :)

Try sending an email to [email protected] asking that they foreward your email to MtnClimber. Stephen as everyones email address so should be able to do so if he his back from vacation.

You could also try posting something on the Flags website.

Tom, on the outlook on North Twin, there are lots of loose rock lying about to help support a base. Check out last year's North Twin summit photos in the Flags gallery.

Jessbee, I sent your a pm through the Flags website that should help you out.

BobandGeri, Thanks for helping out, I know you guys will be back next year. I'm sure that Sapblatt and Double Bow will do Liberty proud!

Still looking for folks to take Washington and South Carter.

Last edited:
Tom,
I did N Twin last year. There is no cairn to support the flag. There are a few crevasses to support the base, but you will need to bring a bunch of rope to support the top of the flag, especially if it is windy.

Dogs are certainly welcome. I know of a dog that has done the event several times now.

As for which groups to join, I am unsure on that. If you know someone on the peaks list, drop them an e-mail and ask to join them. We do have two peaks still available in South Carter and Washington. Your also welcome to join my crew on Moosilauke. Drop me a PM if you are interested.

SilentCal and Tmax

Hi,
Sorry to get back to you both late on this...my sister lives/lived in New Orleans and its been a sad and scary week for my family, she's safe in Houston since Thursday, thankfully. In any case, I'm very happy to have heard from you both, and hope its not to late to sign up!
I've only just recently begun hiking in the Whites, so I'm not familiar with either Mt Mousilakee or Madison; in your opinion, is either one less doggable (containing ladders or lots of cliff face that would require lifting?)
Thanks,
Sabrina

First off, Glad to hear that everything is well with your family.

As MtnMagic said both peaks are dog-friendly. Tmax has stated on the Flags site that he is ascending via the Pine Link Trail. About 3.8 miles one way with 4150 feet of elevation gain. My group is taking the Gorge Brook trail up Moosilauke. It's about 3.7 miles to the summit with an elevation gain of 2550 feet. Both summits are above treeline and have great views. From Madison, you'll perhaps be able to see some other flags, especially on Adams. Unless we have some exceptional binoculars, we won't be able to see any from Moosilauke. I plan to be at the trailhead on Ravine Lodge road around 8:00 and start heading up at 8:30. Again your more than welcome to join the crew.

Would it be appropriate?

As I was thinking about this upcoming event, in which I will not be able to particpate :(, I had a thought. And wondered if it would dilute the message or be a worthy cause. Of course it's probably way too late to do anything with it now, but I'll throw it out there just in case.
Thinking about the more recent tragedy (of natural origin), I thought it might be cool to include flags from the states of Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama (and Florida?) in this year's display. You could look at it as symbolically lifting them to higher ground (or you could tell me that this is the corniest thing you've ever heard and that I really should have gone to bed three hours ago :eek: ).
It'd be especially cool if we could get Louisiana on Jefferson, Mississippi on Jackson and Alabama on Washington or Monroe but it's gotta be way too late for that kind of planning.

If my order comes in today's mail, I will be bringing a Louisiana state flag to whatever peak I visit (as floater or as fill-in leader) to fly with (below, as etiquette dictates) the US flag. I was going to keep it a surprise just in case it didn't get delivered in time.

We have always encouraged flags of other nations, since people from around the globe were killed on 9/11, and we have never had issue with other flags, such as the pow/mia flag, so I think that it is okay to note this enormous tragedy while memorializing a different one.

I'm sure everyone will have their own opinions, but right now, with events still unfolding, I think it's a good idea and I certainly plan to do it. If the flag's in my mailbox this afternoon.

Great minds think alike.
:)

Not a corny idea at all! This event was founded because of a national tragedy and the focus of people coming together to help those who need it and honor those that have fallen because of it. Katrina is no different a crisis. I have a laminated cover sheet that I attach to my flagpole. I'm going to ammend it this year to include something about what has happened on the Gulf Coast. I'm sure many other folks plan to do the same or something similar. Any flags are welcome for the event.

Sabrina: I'm sorry to hear of all your family's worries and hope they will all be okay in time.

The ascent of Madison from the hut is rocky and steep in a few places. From your picture, it looks like you have a small herding dog. I'm sure as long as he/she doesn't mind being lifted a few times, you'd do fine. Heck, I watched Brutus the Wonder Newfoundland bound up that trail! Also, friends of mine did Moosilauke via Gorge Brook with a Labrador. I don't remember their having a problem.

As for the state flags, I had thought of that as well. Members of our families are originally from Mississippi and my husband was born in Alabama. If I could have gotten them, I would have tried to fly all three. Then again, I'm going to be on Washington and could have ended up parasailing into a ravine. I'll try to come up with something before I leave today. Speaking of which, I'm outta here!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
I am as well - good luck to all participants in this year's Flags on the 48! I'll see you at the KOA, on the peaks, or maybe at the Mooseland afterward. I won't be online again until Sunday.

State Flags, really nice touch

Hi
Thanks to everyone who commented on doggable trails; I had posted earlier on one of the many 48 threads, I won't be able to participate this year due to gas prices and I need to be back in NY for a five am rotation starting on monday.
But I'll be with you all in spirit!

How about a big round of applause for the participants AND the organizers!!!

Yay