Flags on the 48 - Mt Liberty and Mt Flume

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OldMan

Reaction score
I wasn't signed up for any peaks but decided to visit Mt Liberty and Mt Flume to see the flags. The day looked pretty good when I arrived in the notch around 9:00 but as I hiked up the Liberty Springs Trail the clouds had rolled in over most of the summits. Mt Liberty was not too bad when I arrived around 11:30. I passed two families on the way up and didn't realize they were carrying the cleverly engineered pvc flag pole in 8 screw together sections. They arrived shortly after me and started setting up the flag. By 12:00 noon the flag was hanging but no breeze to show its glory. Finally a short gust of wind opened her up for a nice picture.

Owls Head was in and out of the clouds so I tried to locate it's flag with my 15-45x spotting scope but no luck. Perhaps the pole was not tall enough for the flag to clear the trees? Lincoln, Cannon, and Garfield remained in the clouds the whole time so no chance to spot them. Mt Flume however did come out of the clouds a few times so I was able to see the flag there in my scope. It was nearing 12:30 so I decided to head over to Flume to visit the flag in person. I must have passed the flag raisers on the way over because I arrived on Flume to have the summit to myself, the flag still up.

Rather than head back I decided to try the Flume Slide Trail down. It certainly is steep. The loose rock sections are not nearly as bad as the steep slabs.

A big Thanks to the folks who raised the flags on Mt Liberty and Mt Flume for everyone to see!