Flags on the 48: Osceola

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willoughby

Reaction score
There's nothing quite like breaking out from the trees and hearing the snap of a flag over head. Adding to the experience, to the sense of awe almost, is standing near Old Glory on one peak, and spotting the flags that hikers have carried up and are flying from other peaks. We didn't get either experience on Osceola this year, but it was a special day nonetheless.

I arrived on Osceola just as the flag went up at noon. There were about 3 dozen hikers on the peak - plus 2 who had ridden up on their moms' (I assume) backs - and half a dozen or so dogs. The flags were strapped to a firetower footing on the summit ledges, under a windless and cloudy sky. We could see East Osceola (but not its flag), and the slide on North Tri; from the north outlook I could see the Hancock slide but no other peaks. It's the first time I've hiked FOT48 and not seen any other flags.

There was a good VFTT contingent - it was nice to meet and chat with Gram (and Peter), Madman, and M (not sure of your spelling) - apologies to anyone else I forgot. Thanks to the Osceola flag team and to the FOT48 organizers. Maybe next year we'll get the views.

By 1:30 the fog had rolled in, and all the views were gone. I headed back down, and met several more groups still on their way up.

Here's a shot of the summit area with the flags - the larger flag had flown over the US Capitol, and the smaller flag over the US embassy in Kabul. More pictures here.

attachment.php

There was a good VFTT contingent - it was nice to meet and chat with Gram (and Peter), Madman, and M (not sure of your spelling) - apologies to anyone else I forgot.

What a tremendous event! My buddy and I had plans to hike in any event, but it was special running into so many cool people up there. I also enjoyed talking with "dnewk" (http://www.flagsonthe48.org/peaklist.php), who had a cool story about his flag's history and had brought some family/friends, too. There were also a couple of participants ("Chris," "Sean" and their bulldog) on East Peak and they had been doing this for the last five years.

Thanks to everyone who helped make this such a special day! It's a great concept and an even greater execution, a very special way to remember a traumatic event in our history.

--Mike

Very nice meeting you Willoughby! As I only get to the Whites 3-4 times a year I try to avoid crowds, However FOT48 is always a great event. Even though this marks a sad day in history it is hard not to be happy on a peak with other hikers and a common reason for being there.