"Flat" Trails

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trailbiscuit

Reaction score
1,997 - 1,998 - 1,999...; Home: Topshizzum, ME
OK, so I hurt myself again. Sprained ankle while running a couple weeks ago.

Looking to do some kind of backpacking trip over Labor Day weekend. (Because if I don't get out soon I'll go crazy.) Any suggestions for "flat" trails in the Whites? (That's funny.) By "flat", I mean not rough with even footing. Nothing that will stress the ankle or have a high potential for another ankle turn. So, any slides are probably out. TIA!

Old RR bed grades are good (Wilderness Trail, Franconia Brook, Cedar Brook, Hancock Notch, Zealand) and usually offer lots of legal camping opportunities.

Sorry to hear about your injury, hope your healing goes well.

-dave-

trailbiscuit said:
By "flat", I mean not rough with even footing.

I understand; been there; not necessarily level, but with stable footing.

Not without sections needing care, but some of my rehab trails were the Garfield (not Garfield RIDGE) and Osseo (steps are _great_ therapy).

Generally, roots are more of a hazard than the rocks. Also, the railbeds with the wood ties are a disaster: can't get any kind of smooth rhythm and you kick or trip over them. The worst part of the Osseo when I was hobbling was the Wilderness Trail (aka Lincoln Woods) section going in: railroad ties. I worked up a hatred for that stretch that has never left me. I'm one of those people who tends to walk center trail, never using the eroding, trail widening edges, but I did under those circumstances on the Wilderness, whenever possible.

The Cedar Ridge has been suggested. It's relatively level, and there are smooth sections, but I remember it as having rocky sections very unstable, and unsuitable for the purpose we're talking about. It's been a cople of years and I may be misremembering.

I always believed healing proceeded better (e.g. less restricting scar tissue), though not necessarily faster, with challenging exercise. I wish you well.

I was recently out on the Livermore Road in Waterville Valley. It seemed like you could walk it forever but was very pleasant with many side trails (don't know what they were like except for the slide trails) but the road is easy walking and there's probably some nice exploring to do around there.

Wild River Valley - from Wild River Campground out to Spruce Brook Shelter or Perkins Notch.

Flat Mountain Pond - out to the shelter

Thanks for the advice!

We ended going Zealand Trail to the Ethan Pond Trail (AT Northbound) to the Ethan Pond Shelter. It was perfect. I was a little slow in the rough section, but could cruise on the flats...just like a healthy me! Best of all no further damage to the ankle.

Don't tell anyone...but, Ethan Pond is a really nice spot, and, according to the caretaker (Ballpahk), not well traveled.

Danielle posted a trail condition report:
http://www.vftt.org/trail/nh/1942.html

Last edited: