Flooding this week in the Whites, be careful

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
tornado

We drove up Rte.16 through Ossipee. Just south of the junction of Rte.171 you can see where the twister crossed Rte.16.

The path of destruction is about 150-200 yds. wide and goes for as far as you can see east or west. The tops of very large trees are sheared right off.

The twister went through very near where a microburst hit some years ago, near Ossipee Aggregate. I wonder if there is some lay of the land that causes the wind to funnel through this area?

KDT

I have lived in this area for 27 years and the Tuftonboro/Ossipee area gets more than it's fair share of extra strength storms.. There were 2 very potent "line" storms that went through Tuftonboro area several years ago that leveled countless trees....I guess it must have to do with the Ossipee Mountains mass that combines uplift from storms and channels them as well..
Those were some incredible photos..I watched this storm happen on Doppler..it exploded from a potent line of tstorms to a rotating mass very quickly..This year the storms have come through the Meredith area frequently..in one storm my house was hit by lightning destroying computer and other electronics..another day I had a couple of inches of hail on the ground...it seems the squall line may have shifted a bit to the east..interestingly enough this storm pattern is really a continuation of the winter heavy snows that fell in the Bristol to Ossipee area...
My thoughts are with those in the twister area...incredible stuff for New England...

There were some pretty serious microbursts last year when I was living outside of Rutland, Vermont. Winds came down off Mendon/Killington and leveled trees all throughout the city....I think the governor declared Rutland a State of Emergency.
Crazy weather this summer! Very unstable, seems like there is a major tstorm everyday down here.

Silverfox said:
I watched this storm happen on Doppler..it exploded from a potent line of tstorms to a rotating mass very quickly

I was watching the radar as well (in between dashing back and forth to the basement. :eek: ) I saw two very clear opposing bow echoes approaching Ossipee. FWIW, there's some microburst -- or possible mini tornado -- damage in Brookfield (south of Ossipee and west of Wakefield.)

I was up there yesterday and the rivers have subsided some but they're still a force. A young man from Texas went into the Pemi to wade and was swept away and drowned last Friday and although flows are down since then, I'd continue to err on the side of caution.

Camped next to the Pemi. river (Waterest) and the river had some nice whitecaps. The local paper said a small tornado was confirmed in Deerfield, NH, causing one casualty when a house collapsed on an elderly lady inside at the time :( I think MEB also mentioned at Bearly Live that a tornado was confirmed in Bridgton, ME which Mimi and I drove through on the way to Oxford, ME...

Was in the whites this whole week and despite the heavy rain, not much in the way of local thunderstorms or hail, fortunately, just a lot of instant delluge!

Jay