Flowed Lands Freezing Over

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbrown

Reaction score
This may be a dumb question, but what the heck, I'll plow ahead and ask anyway.

In the summer, I have bushwacked across Flowed Lands, following the trail around the west/northwest side by the lovely rock wall. (There's a great picture of this on Mavs00's website...don't have the link, maybe he'll read this and post it.) :) I was hoping to use this route in mid/late february as an easier approach to Lake Colden.

My question is this: can anyone tell me from experience how well this area freezes over? Additionally, how much easier is the approach to Lake Colden, possibly bushwacking on the water all the way?

Thanks in advance for any help! (I really should think of all my questions at once and post them together, but I'm not that organized...)

Later,

Josh

This One?????

IMG_0743.sized.jpg

I've done that route a bunch of times in winter and always found it frozen. It does tend to be pretty windy and cold out in the open there

I think it's a much easier route to the Lake Colden area than the summer trail (no ups and downs) as well as very scenic.

Last edited:
JBrown -
If you are speaking of shooting a diagonal across from Calamity Lean-Tos to Flowed Land Lean-tos, then yes, I have done it several times in the winter - I think many others have as well, as I followed tracks and I have seen others cross - It is the easiest way to get to FL. (or back to Calamity) - It certainly beats the ups and downs and winding of taking the trail up and over.

I do recall the only spot I was a ever a little worried was one day in late March just out in front of the Calamity LTs, but it was thick ice - The layer of slush on top of it had me a bit worried, but otherwise I relaxed realizing the rest of it isn't that deep (if the ice were ever to break).

The views up the shoulder of Algonquin are great from there as well, as it is not typically a view of the peak that one sees.

I crossed that way on 1/9. Followed the ranger's ski tracks so assumed it was safe. This cold makes me think it is probably pretty solid. Nice pic Mavs.

Awesome info, everyone! Going from Calamity Lean-Tos to Flowed Land Lean-tos is exactly what I was talking about, but did not articulate very well (I wrote the post late at night...) Thanks again for the help!

Josh

We crossed it a few weeks ago when we did redfield. It was a sunny bluebird day on the trip back with tremendous views in every direction.