flying with gas stoves

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

escapee

Reaction score
Syracuse, NY. Avatar: The Salamander, Glacier N.P.
I'm planning a trip to Montana soon. I've sent brand-new, never used stove & fuel bottles ahead by UPS, but will bring them back in checked luggage. Any suggestions on how to make stove & fuel bottles completely free of fuel residue & fumes?

escapee said:
I'm planning a trip to Montana soon. I've sent brand-new, never used stove & fuel bottles ahead by UPS, but will bring them back in checked luggage. Any suggestions on how to make stove & fuel bottles completely free of fuel residue & fumes?
I suggest you lose the fuel bottles, clean the stove (gasoline should evaporate readily but any cooking stains or burned fat, etc. should be cleaned - hey, use the gasoline to clean the other gunk. Just put out your cigarette first :D). Repackage the stove in its original packaging and hope for the best.

I made the mistake of telling the clerk at Burlington Airport that I had a stove in my pack (it was a pocket Rocket and hardly looked like a stove), and they looked at it and smelled it but wouldn't let it go with my pack. And it would cost more to ship than to buy a new one.

The bottles however may be too much of a stretch if they scan your luggage and may set something off if they have equipment or dogs to sniff for fumes.

The other thing is that security personnel may "improvise" beyond the technicalities of the rules, so even if your airline says something is OK, the guys checking the baggage may not know or care. I guess the reverse can happen. OHS may say yes but Airline says no. What ever you do, DON'T walk in and say "Hey I have a gasoline stove in my luggage!"

Last edited:
I would plan on shipping the equipment back by UPS or DHL. A friend of mine got to pay a fine for trying to check baggage with "clean" stove equipment in it.

They won't allow the bottles on, even if new and squeaky clean.

Papa Bear said:
The other thing is that security personnel may "improvise" beyond the technicalities of the rules, so even if your airline says something is OK, the guys checking the baggage may not know or care. I guess the reverse can happen. OHS may say yes but Airline says no.

This might be the crux of the problem. I've heard about and read about so many stories about flying stoves and fuel bottles and mailing them that it's hard to know what to depend upon. We've read about strict airline regulations which have apparently been ignored in practice. We generally take a conservative approach and mail the stove & bottle to a friend and buy fuel on site. One in our party once mailed a stove to a motel, with excellent results. Mailing home was equally easy. Mailing is cheap (to a friend, campsite, motel, etc.), quick, and for us was worth not having to worry about what would or wouldn't be acceptable on the airlines at the last minute. Some even regard the cost of a fuel bottle as a part of the trip and just buy what they need where they're going and ditch it at the end of the trip. It may not work with everyone's situation, but it is something to consider.

We just returned from Alaska and successfully flew both there and back with my pocket rocket and Brian's alcohol stove in our checked luggage. I have flown with both my pocket rocket and my MSR white gas stove at least a half dozen times with no issues (knock on wood). However, I always know it is a risk, I am just willing to take the risk. Good Luck.

sli74

sli74 said:
We just returned from Alaska and successfully flew both there and back with my pocket rocket and Brian's alcohol stove in our checked luggage. I have flown with both my pocket rocket and my MSR white gas stove at least a half dozen times with no issues (knock on wood). However, I always know it is a risk, I am just willing to take the risk.
The rules in Alaska are different. Particularly for bush planes.

In the ConUS, you risk legal action.

Doug

DougPaul said:
The rules in Alaska are different. Particularly for bush planes.

In the ConUS, you risk legal action.

Doug

I don't think they flew to Alaska in a bush plane ...

:D Well, foolish or not, it is a risk I have taken numerous times and hopefully will continue to have the luck I have had in the past. Buying a new stove everytime I backpack somewhere I have to fly to will get just too expensive for this poor post-doc . . .

I have flown in the continental US with my stove as well, but if you don't want to take the risk of having it confiscated then by all means mail it out or buy a new one when you get out there but for myself it makes good financial sense to take the risk . . . just my 2 foolish cents :D ;)

sli74

I have to agree with Sli. I've flow many times with my stove and fuel bottles in my checked bag. Never had a problem. I always have the cover off the bottles for a time before flying to help cut down on fumes. Not sure that matters, but what the heck, it's worked so far.

I'll add a third.... I've flown with my stove many times and never had a problem (both in continental U.S. flights and international ones.) I just clean it as best I can and place it in my checked baggage. I've never had an issues. I usually fly with my alcohol stove but I've also brought my Primus without a problem.

I don't bring fuel bottles, which I have been under the impression are specifically prohibited.
- Ivy

Thanks to all for your replies. I think as long as my stove & bottles are scrupulously free of all fuel and residue, I should be able to check them without declaring them. I wouldn't want someone making up their own rules and taking the stuff out of my luggage, which I assume will be searched. I'd be interested in hearing of more experiences which other VFFT members may have had. I'm flying Northwestern, whose website says:

"Hazardous and Prohibited Items
Certain items are considered hazardous and are prohibited from air transportation by federal law. You may not travel with these items as checked, cabin-seat, or carry-on luggage. Examples of these items include:

* Flammable Items: fuel, paints, lighter fluid, matches
* Explosive Materials: fireworks, signal flares, sparklers, freon, helium, gunpowder
* Dangerous Chemicals: bleach, adhesives, linseed oil, spray starch, insecticides, cleaners and solvents, wet-cell batteries (except those in wheelchairs), pepper spray
* Pressure Containers: spray cans, butane, fuel, scuba tanks, propane tanks, fire extinguishers, CO2 cartridges, self-inflating rafts

For a complete list of hazardous items that are not accepted for air transportation, visit www.tsa.gov"

Here is what the TSA website http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1187.shtm
says on the subject.

"Traveling with Special Items

Camping

Outdoor enthusiasts should prepare and pack carefully so that they don't have to surrender items at the security checkpoint or have them removed from their checked baggage. A specific list of all permitted and prohibited items is at (link). Below is information specific to camping and outdoor activities:

Camp Stoves - These can travel as carry-on or checked luggage only if they are empty of all fuel and cleaned so that there are no vapors or residue left. Simply emptying the fuel container will leave flammable vapors. We recommend that you ship the fuel containers to your destination ahead of time - passengers frequently have to leave them at the checkpoint because of fuel vapors.

Gasoline - You cannot bring any flammable liquids, including gasoline, in either your carry-on or checked luggage.

Aerosol insecticides - You cannot bring any hazardous aerosols, such as insecticides, in either your carry-on or checked luggage. Personal items like hair sprays and deodorants in limited quantities are allowed.

Compressed Gas Cylinders - If you plan on traveling with a compressed gas cylinder such as carbon-dioxide, please read our information on traveling with these items. Transporting Compressed Gas Cylinders

Lighters and Matches - Lighters are not permitted. You may bring up to four books of matches. Fueled lighters are permitted in checked baggage only, and only if they are empty or meet the DOT exemption. Be sure to read our section on lighters and matches.

Flare Guns - You may pack flare guns in checked baggage, but they MUST be unloaded, packed in a locked hard-sided container, and declared to the airline at check-in. You may not pack these items in your carry-on bag.

Flares - You may not bring flares in either your carry-on bag or checked luggage.

Knives and Tools - You may not bring knives and certain tools in your carry-on luggage. Pack these items in your checked luggage. Please sheath or securely wrap any sharp objects in your checked luggage so that it does not injure baggage handlers and security officers.

Animal Repellants - You can bring chemical repellants in your checked luggage if the volume is less than 4 ounces and its active ingredient is less than 2%. Most bear repellants exceed these limitations. We suggest you buy these items at your destination and leave them behind when your trip is over.

Hunting and Fishing – If you are planning on taking hunting or fishing gear on your trip, please read our information on traveling with this equipment. Traveling with Hunting and Fishing Equipment."

What is almost humorous about the whole convoluted process is that if you take your stove to the USPS and mail it home by priority mail it may very well end up in the same cargo hold as if you had checked it in your luggage. ;)

Postal regs

Which is why USPS regulations are consistent with TSA regs. See 722.3(d) and (f) below:

72 Hazardous Materials: Air Transportation
"722.3 Air Transportation Prohibitions

The following types of hazardous materials are prohibited from transport via aircraft under any circumstances:

a. Explosives other than Division 1.4S, small rocket motors, igniters, and safety fuse.

b. Anything susceptible to damage or that can become harmful because of changes in temperature or atmospheric pressures, unless protected against the effects of such changes.

c. Magnetic material that has a field strength sufficient to cause a compass deviation at a distance of 7 feet or more from any point on the outer packaging.

d. Flammable materials (gases, liquids, and solids).

e. Radioactive materials.

f. Hazardous materials excluded from air shipment by the regulations of 49 CFR 100-185, or by the applicable country or air carrier operator variations."

Some hazardous materials may be shipped by surface mail, subject to restrictions on quantity and requirements for packaging and marking. Here is a link for more info:
http://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c3_003.html

I think that a stove and fuel bottles containing no flammable liquid, no residue and no vapors could be legally shipped by air or surface. Maybe if the package comes from the post office, the TSA is less likely to open it.

One practical problem that I have is that I'll be coming out of the woods late on Saturday afternoon and flying out Sunday morning. The post offices and the UPS Store will all be closed. Under the "Unabomber" regulations, you cannot mail anything weighing more than a pound other than by handing it to a postal worker. So mail or UPS don't seem to be options unless I shorten my hike by a day or change my flights, which I won't do for this.

Dawn dishwashing liquid is pretty good on petroleum. Any other suggestions for clean-up and vapor-freeing?

MSR liquid fuel stove method

I scrub the liquid fuel bottles beforehand, then carry on without the caps. Have done this at least 20 times, but I know it is a risk, and someday will get the 'wrong' screener. The stove itself gets packed in with the crampons.

I specifically bought a propane stove for this purpose, the stove is OK if aired out and I have to buy bottles at Wal-Mart when I get there and find somebody to give them to at the other end - often campground host.

My last 2 flights the bag with the stove was the only one searched, the 2nd time I was smart enough to leave it on top. It travels in its original box which says propane stove. My brother-in-law once disassembled his gas stove into pieces so it would look OK on X-rays, of course that probably also pretty well cleaned out the fuel vapors.

stoves

I've flown at least 30 or 40 flights with my stove in checked baggage, and haven't had a problem yet. I always try to bury it as deeply in my luggage as possible. (If i'm using a bear can, it goes in the bottom of the locked can.) It's not like this will fool anyone who knows what they are looking for, but it keeps the lazy bag screener from wanting to bother to check out what it is if they're unsure. (MSR Pocket Rocket)

Fuel canisters on the other hand are really obvious. STILL, i've checked those twice, half full! just by stupidly not thinking when i'm packing up after a hike. Both times they went through! Not recommending this...