Foiled on Abraham(Lincoln), 1/20

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pamola

Reaction score
This is my first TR in quite a while, and unfortunately it will be a short one.

So I rolled out of bed at 5:30 on Saturday morning in the pitch black. Hopped in the car, and after a quick breakfast at Crossroads Cafe in WRJ I headed up toward Warren, VT and the two fine 4000 footers it hosts.

My plan was fairly simple: hit two peaks in the winter and snowboard down. I was going to hike up the ski trails, drop pack and hit Abraham, then go over the ridge on the long trail to Ellen, pop on the snowboard boots and head down. After a beer catch the bus back over to the other parking lot. I was hiking the ski trails because it would be slightly easier and I have found through experience that hiking with skis or a board on regualr trails, depending on the trail, can be a serious pain in the butt. Sounds easy.

When I stepped out of my car once I had reached Sugarbush the wind blasted me. Gusts of about 40-50 mph were going to make the day interesting. Laden down with my board on my pack, boots in them, crampons, extra clothing, etc, I starting snowshoeing up the hill. In most places the snow wasn't deeper than 8-10 inches but there were a couple times i fell into a powder pit easily up to my waist. With all the weight on my back, i must have looked like a turtle, an upended turtle with snowshoes anyways. The skiers who passed me were friendly, per usual. That much powder can put anyone in a good mood. Well, almost anyone.

About a third of the way up a ski patroller cruised up to me. No hi, hello, howya doin. The first thing out of his mouth was, "Do you have an area use pass?" My answer was fairly immediate, "What the h*ll is an area use pass?" He goes on to tell me that one needs to pay to hike the trails and what I was doing is a misdemeanor. Either I could keep going and risk running into a patroller with more of an urge to prosecute or turn around, go down, and buy a pass. He skied away leaving me dumbfounded and in a conundrum. Did I keep going? I wanted to. Did I go down and buy a pass? No way that was happening. So eventually I sat down in the foot of powder and proceeded to change boots. I wasn't going to risk it. The 5-minute trip down was wonderful, conditions perfect, but I wasn't going to buy either kind of pass from them at that point. I went straight to my car and drove home.

Epilogue and poll:
This experience left a very bad taste in my mouth regarding Sugarbush. I understand it's private land and it's their right to charge whatever they want for whichever activity they want. I have hiked multiple ski mountains (Sugarloaf, Saddleback) in winter and the only thing I was ever told by patrollers was, "Have fun and stay to the side so you don't get mowed over". I know that booth creek resorts (Loon, Cranmore, WV) has no rule regarding hiking on their trails. I know that Cannon allows no hiking on the trails at any time and sells no pass to do so due to environmental and bear concerns. These are obviously different to the corporate policy of Sugarbush and I find it very disappointing. No, that's too mild. I was really, really angry. Who agrees with me? Who feels differently and wants to stop me before I rant to their PR department over the phone?

Hey Pamola,

I was just over that way last weekend and did a lot of hiking on the ski trails. We did the Abe and Ellen and came down one of the trails. We actually were invited into the lift operators hut to warm up. He was really nice and told us the best way down. We saw one other group hiking the trails as well. None of us were stopped or spoken to at all....even when we took the fast way down on the cafeteria tray. We also hiked Killington via the ski trails and were passed by several ski patrol people and again no one said boo to us about hiking the trails. I agree, I'd be angry too.

-MEB

You were heading up the ski trails openly carrying your snowboard; I'm not surprised you were spoken to. Hiking in the ski area is one thing, but carrying your downhill gear on the ski trails while the ski area is open, it just gives the impression to the patrollers that you're trying to avoid paying the lift ticket.

Also, buying the ticket or area use pass makes the lawyers happy as then you're bound by (some of) what's written on it, and they're (somewhat) indemnified. Sugarbush may have been sued once and now have to be hard about it...

Call em

I've had similiar experience of being treated kindly.

I'd call and talk with a "Boss" type person and very nicely explain what happened, what you've experienced @ other areas, etc.

Shoulda planted that guy upside down in the fluff :eek: :D :p Har, har, har...

I believe its called a lift ticket. I think anyone of us is within their rights to hike up sugarbush. The land is not private it is Part of the Green Mountain National Forest. Sugarbush has a lease to use our land. In my opinion you are entirely within your rights to hike up the ski trails as long as you don't become a hazard to the skiers. Sorry to hear about your experience. Mad River Glen on the other hand is private land and they can make their own rules.

I've hiked plenty of ski trails -- summer, winter, private land, public land -- and never had anyone give me a hard time. Usually the patrollers give a friendly wave. You probably caught the wrong patroller having a bad day. It wouldn't hurt to give them a call and explain the situation and ask for clarification of their actual policy.

Pamola said:
Let the cross-river rivalry begin!

I'm sure you've done Ascutney at least, grouseking!

I have not!!

But I will eventually, I guess.... :)

I'll deal with Vermont eventually. My only interests in VT these days are the Northeast Kingdom.

grouseking