For the climbers out there!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hikingfish

Reaction score
Montreal, Qc, Canada Avatar: Top of Gothics, Adk
Howdy folks,
I've been researching how one could build a wooden climbing boulder. Specifically, I was looking at making something which looks like this:

Xbol1.jpg

I've found several articles about how to create hand made handholds, however I haven't found anything about creating a rough surface over the plywood. I was thinking of simply putting some glue on the plywood and then putting some sand over it (which would hopefully stick to the plywood).

Has anyone ever heard of another (better) technique for doing this?

Fish

I would think you would need something more substantial then just plain glue. Besides the weight of you, you'd have the weight of whatever you're using to create the form, plaster, concrete. I would think you'd put like metal rebar through the square wooden structure and then use that to strengthen whatever you use to make form... Some kind of rebar and/or a metal 'chicken wire' like frame would be used to give strength. Of course, if you have welding skills and access to a welder, you can do that yourself.

jay

Hi Jay,
I've seen a lot of climbing walls made of wood. They had several trusts and support beams and what not, but they were all constructed with wood. I wanted to cover up the support structure with some thick plywood to make up the actual walls. I wanted it to have a rough surface though and not a (possibly slippery if wet) surface of simply wood.

Fish

I've had something similar on the drawing board for a while now. I've decided a structure with several painted, angled faces and commercially available hand holds is sufficient for my purposes. The "real" ones, like what you've pictured, are fiberglass over mesh over substructure I believe. I might be able to construct one, but the cost and inconvenience for the small aesthetic bonus doesn't seem worth it to me.

They have a special paint that is made specifically for climbing walls it is a little pricey. I think most people just get granite or red rock colored paint and add sand to the mix. It takes a few coats to get the effect but works quite well.
They also use a deck paint that has a non-slip texture already in it..options!

I got my climbing holds pretty cheap on ebay(years ago), it's the screws and nut sets that are costly.

wall surface

get creative and experimental you are not making a violin.
I used a hodgepodge mix of left over oil and acrylic paints with paint sand in it. The oil and acrylic paints don't mix so you get strange random patterns when it rolls on and the sand comes off but most remains. I have used and re-used the panels in attic, basements and outdoors overhanging a pool for 11+ years.Consider multifaceted angles- framing doesn't have to be exact if using 3/4 ply. Consider edges, laybacks and ledges that are built in. There is also a cheap concrete waterproof paint available a a powder-5gal name something like Sun...
go nuts :)

Darl58 said:
They have a special paint that is made specifically for climbing walls it is a little pricey. I think most people just get granite or red rock colored paint and add sand to the mix. It takes a few coats to get the effect but works quite well.
They also use a deck paint that has a non-slip texture already in it..options!

I got my climbing holds pretty cheap on ebay(years ago), it's the screws and nut sets that are costly.

I think for paint, the DIY route seems best, I checked out Nif's links there and there are some recipes in there.

You can buy textured garage epoxy paint but it's expensive and even then I'd think you'd still would want to customize it, at which point you might as well start from scratch.

Jay

adhesive backed grip tape used for skateboards, stairs, etc may be an option for spot use but may be uneconomical for a whole wall.

How about Gunite sprayed over reinforcing secured to the plywood? You could leave it "natural" colored or paint it afterward. That's where I would start exploring if I was interested in a wall. After research, I might want to move on to fiberglas - think of the fumes you could generate! Just a thought.