FOT48: South Twin

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willoughby

Reaction score
I climbed South Twin (via North Twin) to participate in the Flags on the 48 memorial. South Twin has been a difficult peak for me, so I got an early start (about 7:45AM), as the South Twin flag team were assembling at the trailhead. Last time I went up the North Twin trail (with Kerry13) we did the "bushwhack" to avoid the first two river crossings; this time I went over the river and thought that was a faster route. I took my time and hiked my own pace, being passed by the South Twin team and some others. The morning weather was uncooperative - I was climbing in fog and cloud, very damp and chilly, with no views whatsoever from North Twin.

I took a brief pause on North Twin, and admired the summit cairn with the path leading uphill behind it :confused:. Then I headed out the North Twin Spur, and rapidly down into the col. I heard the North Twin flag team arriving behind me as I left the summit.

The skies cleared as I made my way from North Twin over to South Twin, and there was blue sky overhead when I arrived on the ledges below South Twin. I met a nice couple on the ledges and we stood for a while, admiring the South Twin Flag and chatting about Flags on the 48 and various hikes we had done. Eventually we headed up to the summit, where a good crowd had gathered. There were lovely - if limited - views from South Twin: I could see the flags on North Twin, Garfield, Lafayette, Lincoln, Bond, and West Bond, as well as funny shapes that were probably flags on Willey and Eisenhower.

There were lots of people hanging around because of the flags. It was interesting how many of them had no idea in advance that the memorial was taking place, but wanted to stay nearby, and were already planning to hike Flags on the 48 next year. There was also a lot of talk about the meaning of the memorial itself, more so than I remember 2 years ago (the last time I joined).

Eventually it was time to head back. I arrived on North Twin just as that flag team was about to head out; I walked a little way with them and then sat on the ledges to contemplate before heading down. I took the opportunity to thank them, as I had thanked the South Twin team, for their part in organizing the memorial. It's rare to be able to remember that day without being drawn into politics, I treasure FOT48 for its apolitical stance.

Pictures are here.

By the way, South Twin is 39/48 for me.

una_dogger said:
South Twin is such an amazing peak -- good choice!

Which peaks do you have left for your 48?

South Twin was great, I want to go back on a clear day. Also to South Kinsman, Bondcliff, Liberty, Jackson... let's not forget Guyot... really, I'd go back to almost all of them. (Washington on July 5th was probably a mistake.)

I have Carter Dome, Wildcats, Moriah, Jefferson, Madison, Isolation, and Moosilauke to go before I finish on Garfield (if I stick to plan). Not surprisingly, most of them are clustered in the northeast, since I "commute" to the mountains from Lexington MA.

Willoughby said:
I have Carter Dome, Wildcats, Moriah, Jefferson, Madison, Isolation, and Moosilauke to go before I finish on Garfield (if I stick to plan). Not surprisingly, most of them are clustered in the northeast, since I "commute" to the mountains from Lexington MA.

We are in West Acton so I feel your pain! You have some nice peaks left! Bet you could get the Wildcats, Dome and Moriah on a nice overnight backpack -- with the leaves changing -- that would be *sweet*.

I'm right behind you (or is that ahead of you?) with only the Bonds left and plan to finish the 48/67/115 on West Bond in early November before the snow flies.

Looking forward to reading more of your reports!

Sabrina