Free Antisnow plates for Petzl crampons

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildPeaks

Reaction score
Not sure if this has been posted already and it's a little early to be thinking about winter gear, but...........
Due to the recall of Montrail's Ice Nine & Khumbu crampons I had to replace them. I chose Petzl Vasak to replace the khumbu. Shortly after that, I read an ad in this July Climbing magazine, an offer to get a better pair of antisnow plates at no cost. This goes for the Irvis & Sarken models as well.
I sent an e-mail & promptly got a response & shortly after that they were at my door. (I wish all things were that easy!)
Send the MODEL, Your NAME, ADDRESS, (no PO Boxes), COUNTRY, & E-MAIL ADDRESS
to this email address: [email protected]

Here is a tel. # as well: 877 807 3805

Enjoy! :cool:

hmm....thanks for reminding me!

I submitted a request in May and they said they'd ship in June....and they still haven't arrived. I'll give that number a try--there's still some time before I'll need them ;)

Problems installing replacement parts...

Hi Gang,
I was wondering if anyone had actually performed the replacement? I can't seem to be able to visualize how the new plates are suppose to fit. Also, those little metal clips they provide seem very flimsy.

Has anyone done the procedure that could perhaps enlighten me (pictures of the results would be awesome!).

Thanks!

Fish

Fish,

I did try them on. They are not the easiest I've installed, and I believe they would stay on without using the wires. A field test will tell all.
Not having used the crampons yet, I'll probably go without any if it's 28 or below, & experiment with the original & these new ones in warmer temps.
All I know is, I've experienced some dangerous situations with snowballing on crampons that had no anti's on them.
But they will most likely go on at home.

I just got mine this week, and had hoped they would be in by late July at the latest. I literally sent off my request the day I heard about it (long ago).

It's good to keep the old pair on days where you expect to have mixed conditions (i.e. rocks). That way you won't ruin the new ones when it's all snow, and they are really needed!

Hi!
I sent an email to Petzl and got a response from Jeremiah, Operations Manager at Petzl America. He gave me clearer instructions, so I thought I'd share:

1. Detach the heal piece from the linking bar and slide the linking bar out of the forefoot. All three components should now be separated.
2. Unscrew the two screws from the top of each plate (total of 8 screws per pair).
3. Remove the rigid orange anti-snow plates (two forefoot pieces and two heal pieces).
4. Re-insert the linking bar into the forefoot
5. Slide the grey rubber front plate onto the linking bar through the slot and pull it tight to the underside of the crampon. (see image attachment)
6. Pull each hook over the edge of the crampon.
7. With the heal piece still separated, put the grey rubber rear plate onto the heal piece and pull the hooks over the edge of the crampon.
8. Slide the linking bar into the slot on the rear plate. The linking bar should be on top of the plate and not exposed underneath. (see image attachment)
9. All three components (forefoot, heal piece, and linking bar) should be re-assembled now. (see image attachment)
10. Follow the instructions on the “Locking System” card that was shipped with your new anti-snow plates and install the wire clips.

I have pictures as well, but I can't attach them to this post. PM me if you'd like to see them.

Fish

Received new antisnow plates for Petzl crampons

By the way, I haven't seen another thread about this so I figured I'd update everyone in case they missed it. I received a new set of antisnow plates from Petzl. These are the "screw in" type and are supposed to be a permanent replacement to the original defective (or temporary effective) parts.

Cheers!

Fish

Yes Fish,

Thanks. I got another free set about 2 weeks ago. Much to my surprise & delight.
Now I have 4 ways of crampon use to pick from: Old - New1 - New2 - None.
Just what I need . Another thing to decide on. :)
These do seem better though.

same with me - they sent me 1 pair of the old ones last year (still in package) and the new ones about 3 weeks ago - I got talking with the guy and the defective thing was over-exaggerated - I still have my original ones, and they got a damn good test on rainier last august in mashed potatoes and worked great - still use them and got 2 pairs of antibotts saved up