French Alps! GR5/GR55

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Juniper

Reaction score
Ryan and I recently spent two weeks hiking in the French Alps (with a bit of Switzerland thrown in for good measure) along a portion of the Grande Randonnée #5 (GR5). The route we followed began in St. Gingolph, on the shores of Lake Geneva, and continued south to the small French city of Modane. The weather was generally fantastic, with just enough of the bad stuff to make us appreciate the good. Total mileage covered, according to the guide book we used, was about 215 miles, with roughly 60,000 feet of elevation gain. Along the way we stayed in a combination of mountain refuges and small hotels and we had a chance to try out most of the Savoyard specialities at mealtimes (in other words, we each ate our body weight in cheese). The scenery was varied and wonderful – I highly recommend a visit to this area if you are thinking of doing an Alps hiking trip. However, you might want to go during the true summer season, as we discovered that September is a very quiet time on the trail and in the towns along the way, where food and lodging options were very limited.

The GR5 is one of the many long-distance routes through the Alps, and it technically begins at the North Sea in Holland and finishes at the Mediterranean Sea in Nice, France. As with other long-distance routes of this type, with huts and towns sprinkled along the way, an itinerary can be built to suit any hiker. Not many Americans visit these parts, as was evidenced by the reaction we got from numerous folks we met along the way. You can decide whether this is a plus or not. :rolleyes: It probably did give us a bit of cover for our wacky appearance (relatively small packs, absence of sturdy boots, and of course Farmer’s short shorts).

A brief run-through of the trip follows and pictures are here (new camera, not happy with the outcome). Numbers for each day are estimates of miles/elev gain/elev loss.

Day 1 – Living so close to Europe does have its benefits. We left home early in the morning, and following a subway ride, then plane, train and boat rides, we were on the trail by 3:30pm. We needed to hoof it to our reserved refuge by an unknown dinner time, which was 7.5 miles and 5000ft of climbing away. Excited to finally be underway, and as always motivated by food, I am happy to report that we made it on time to the (very) basic Chalets de Bise. 7.5/5053/1342

1007793953_MSCVh-M.jpg

Day 2 – Nearly died of starvation, and learned that we needed to carry plenty of food with us on the trail since supplies on the ground were very thin. The super cozy Refuge de Chesery won the “best dinner” award (delicious lamb chops, noodles, carrot salad, cheese, choc pudding, and wine). 17/5922/4398

Day 3 – Got an early start since the forecast was for snow. Saw some of the white stuff early on, but then the day cleared up as we ended our brief stay in Switzerland. The descent on the road down to Samoens was not terribly fun, but we managed. And since we hadn’t been through any towns that day where we could get some food supplies, we nearly died of starvation again. Dinner consisted of some regional specialties involving cheese, potatoes, ham, cheese, little pickles and cured meats, bread, wine and, of course, cheese. 16/2400/6565

1007848092_qRXQj-M.jpg

Day 4 – Still able to walk despite the previous night’s dinner, we set out towards what would be the first (IMO) Truly Beautiful section of trail. Following a long flat bit, we began climbing to an impressive roadside waterfall, and then continued to climb until we reached a delightful spot to take in the first views we were getting of snow-covered peaks. We then continued on towards the Col d’Anterne, passing by a lovely lake, with the dramatic Rochers des Fiz nearby. One final climb later and we were treated to views of Mont Blanc and our destination for the day, the Refuge Moede Anterne. The run down from the col was enjoyed by all. 14/5905/1655

1007921803_DiBP2-M.jpg

1007930116_sps9F-M.jpg

Day 5 – Moving on to bigger things, we left the Col D’Anterne behind and made our way up to a new high point, Le Brevent. It was the only real summit our route passed over, and it offered fine views and sunburn opportunities. After a nice lounge and snack on the summit, we made our way down to Chamonix in the valley below. Since it was a nice day and we still had a few hours before dinner, we took a ride on the Téléphérique de l'Aiguille du Midi, which still holds the record as the highest vertical ascent cable car in the world (from 1,035m to 3,842m). 13/3280/6530

Day 6 – After a very leisurely start to the day, which included the trip’s Best Breakfast, we travelled by cable car back up to the Plan de l’Aiguille (2317m) encumbered only by small water bottles. From there we enjoyed a rather leisurely trot across the Grand Balcon Nord trail over to view the Mer de Glace glacier at Montenvers and then made our way back down to Chamonix. Fondue for dinner. 10/1000/5000

Day 7 – Time warp day. Revised endpoint was Les Contamines. There was climbing up a really boring and steep gravel road with no views. We paid $5 (each!) for Cokes, but it was worth it because it was hot. After the Col de Voza we took the variant over to Bionassay where we hoped to get close to the glacier. There were lots of people on the trail. They were hot too. 17.5/5220/4415

Day 8 – We walked through beautiful countryside over the Col du Bonhomme (Danny Daypack was no match for us!) and then enjoyed a great ridge walk at Crete des Gittes followed by the wonderfully-named Col de la Sauce. We had hoped to stay at the refuge at Plan de la Lai, but they had no room for us. We went to the nearby gite at Plan Mya. They had no room for us. But for some reason they took pity (the next refuge was nearly 5 hours away!) and gave us two beds in the little room where their staff slept. Dinner was quite delicious, the company was the most friendly we’d encountered, and we were taught how to play the card game Tarot. 15/5035/2705

1008700336_jLTvd-M.jpg

Day 9 – The day started nice and cool, which was good since most of our climbing came early on. We made our way to the Col du Bresson and then down through a really pretty valley, then made our way over and down to the town of Landry. This was a hot and dry descent, and we were parched and cranky when we made it to town. There we found no businesses open but did finally locate our guest house which was lovely (plug for Maison Caramel). We dined alone at the one and only restaurant in town (more Savoyard specialties!). 18/3525/6955

Day 10 – Today we entered the Parc Nationale de la Vanoise, where we would spend the rest of the trip. Our preference was to end the trip in Modane, so we decided to string together a 5-day combo of the GR55 and GR5 in the Vanoise. We were feeling good and enjoying the scenery, and so decided to cruise on past our intended stopping point at Refuge d’Entre le Lac and on to the highest refuge on the GR5 near the Col du Palet. This place was a gem. 14/5981/850

1008713363_jEZkv-M.jpg

Day 11 – The weather was not great this day, but it didn’t matter because our new modified Vanoise program meant that we only needed to hike about 3 hours over to the ski resort of Val D’Isere in order to set us up for the following two days. We spent the afternoon waiting to have dinner (again) in a town where nothing was open. 8/692/4005

Day 12 – Weather was much better and so were the surroundings. We climbed up to the moon surface that is the Col de l’Iseran, which boasts the highest paved pass in the French Alps. Later on Farmer fought off a mean dog and we made our way across the long traverse above Bonneval sur Arc, through le Villaron and then down to the town of Bessans where we went through the usual routine of trying to find someone, somewhere, who would serve us food. Savoyard specialties were consumed. 15.5/4460/4790

1008726871_e8dni-M.jpg

1008737020_Retvs-M.jpg

Day 13 – This was supposed to be a long day, but it went very quickly. The weather, the views and the trail were fantastic. Clouds eventually rolled in and we got hailed on a bit, but it didn’t really matter because we were nearly at our destination. 18.5/4690/2545

Day 14 – This was pretty much a perma-grin day for me. Col de la Vanoise was one of the many gems on the day’s walk. Our day ended at the posh refuge Roc de la Peche. We had a nice meal with some friendly folks and were fortunate to be able to diversify away from our regular card games since they had a Scrabble board on hand. 18/3115/4910

1008761468_xdVNR-M.jpg

1008766375_hHLe5-M.jpg

Day 15 – This was our last day on the trail, and it was interesting and beautiful and sometimes weird. We crossed the highest point on our trip at the Col de Chaviere and then reluctantly made our way down toward our final destination, Modane. The descent was surprisingly gentle and very scenic. 13/3115/5775

1009833816_wuVzJ-M.jpg

Day 16 – Geneva to London

Last edited:
Fantastic trip report, the photos are spectacular (new camera or not)! Would love to do a hike that someday.

-dave-

how did you like that ride up to aiguille du midi? :D i was light headed for about an hour.. going from 3,300ft to 12,600ft in 20 minutes is quite the ride! needless to say, we had to wait til i was not so dizzy before exiting out into the knife-edge snow ridge. ;)

i hope you stopped to have a beer at the midway station!

sweet pics. it's hard not to have the time of your life over there. thanks for sharing!

"A brief run-through of the trip follows and pictures are here (new camera, not happy with the outcome)."

Hey, Juniper, no sand bagging allowed! I agree with Dave, new camera or not, you have put together a really fine slide show. I think that your photos in the Chamonix area are particularly outstanding. And, the bedrock structures in some of those valleys could be right out of a geology textbook. I cannot wait until next summer when I return to the Alps (Bernese Oberland), but perhaps I will need to stay longer and visit the Chamonix area also, and maybe the Matterhorn, too! Thanks for whetting my appetite.

Great trip report and very nice pictures.

The "crazy field of cairns on the way to the highest point on our trek, Col de Chavière" reminds me of the "cave of cairns" near the end of the slot canyon on the Joint Trail, in the Needles District of Canyonlands.

A neat treat.

Wonderful photos and reports.

One question: I read where you would arrive at a place that was full up. Do people make reservations beforehand? Is that possible?

Awesome pics.....I loved it over there and can't wait to get back.
Looks like you went through some beautifull regions!!!:D

I agree with the others...pics look great!! I know though that the pics can't begin to show the views and depth of the Alps!!!

Looks like you had amazing weather! Greenest of greens and bluest of blues -- love the pictures.

On my bucket list -- thanks for sharing. Must be nice to be so close! Glad to hear you are taking full advantage of your proximity and life is not "all work, no play".

One question: I read where you would arrive at a place that was full up. Do people make reservations beforehand? Is that possible?

Based on my limited experience, reservations are possible, and encouraged. My own general rule of thumb is to reserve a place where you think there's a risk you won't get a spot, or the cost of not doing so would be high (no other options around). Weekends, particularly Saturdays, seem to be busy everywhere and so booking is essential. Huts near a road are also more crowded. The guide book I used last year for the Dolomites was helpful in that it provided capacity detail on each hut along the way, so you could plan a little better. This year's book only had phone numbers. One risk of reserving everything in advance is that it can be hard to know exactly how far you want to travel each day.

The typical practice for people hiking hut to hut is to just call ahead a day or so and let them know your are coming - we were advised to to this since it was a quiet time of the season and the hut caretakers in the more remote spots might not even open up for the night if they didn't know anyone was coming. The hut caretakers are good about helping to make those calls to other huts. We didn't phone ahead on the night I mentioned in the TR, and we knew going into the day that it was a risk. We made an effort to arrive as early in the day as possible so that we could move on to another spot if need be. We got lucky.

Hope this helps.

Rebecca

Wow!

Hi Rebecca!
So that's what you've been up to! Great report! What a trip! Pictures are wonderful as usual.

So you sallied forth, and infiltrated a few places of purveyance to negotiate the vending of some cheesy comestibles did you?
....and pray what varieties did you savour?
Brie, Roquefort, Pol le Veq, Port Salut, Savoy Aire, Saint Paulin, Carrier de lest, Bres Bleu, Bruson perhaps? or maybe a little runny Camenbert? :D It's all good!!

I'lll be over in the UK for a couple of weeks in November.... hope to get up to the peaks and dales! :)

Cheers!
Phil

Reservations for refugi

Ditto what Juniper said.

My experience is limited to the Dolomites. We were told that "most of Europe" goes on holiday during the month of August, so would definitely make reservations during that month. Also, some of the huts close in mid-late Sept; it would be wise to make reservations/call ahead to be assured of both your night's lodging and that day's lunch! :rolleyes: (We ended up buying cheese from a farm one day.)

When we did the AV1 last Sept., we made reservations for each night. Most of the people spoke passable English, and Chris speaks passable German--which is what they mostly speak in the Tyrol (northern Dolomites)--so we got by okay over the phone although one Italian-speaking woman hung up on us!

Can't wait to get back there...

Ditto what Juniper said.

My experience is limited to the Dolomites. We were told that "most of Europe" goes on holiday during the month of August, so would definitely make reservations during that month. Also, some of the huts close in mid-late Sept; it would be wise to make reservations/call ahead to be assured of both your night's lodging and that day's lunch! :rolleyes: (We ended up buying cheese from a farm one day.)

When we did the AV1 last Sept., we made reservations for each night. Most of the people spoke passable English, and Chris speaks passable German--which is what they mostly speak in the Tyrol (northern Dolomites)--so we got by okay over the phone although one Italian-speaking woman hung up on us!

Can't wait to get back there...

My experience was mostly in the Swiss huts....I was early season 1st of July and it was easy to just hike up to the huts and ask if they had room...I was lucky and they had plenty available. The locals told me that normally even if they are full they will try and give you floor space or something, hardly ever turn you away...Again like Juniper said the only one I booked was Hornli hut where it was possible to be full up and I couldn't not get a room that night.....

The hut system in Alps is amazing and comfy with yummy food!!:D

Like Sue I can't wait to get back there and do some more hiking and eating of all the cheeses and breads...yumm I found most of the people spoke English a little, so I got by fine...
Chocolate wasn't so bad either!!:cool:

Great trip Rebecca!! So glad to hear from you again!!