frozen hydration systems

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
According to FDA guidelines, to qualify as a vodka (made in the USA) the vodka cannot have a taste or smell.

Next thing folks will say works as anti-freeze is to forget about the water, mix the vodka with a little vermouth and an olive.

I stick with water bottles in the winter. and sometimes a thermos

No threads to freeze on a Platypus just a super hefty ziplock. Never had it open by accident even with jamed full pack. With it nestled in its sleeve tight against my back I generate enough heat to keep it warm for a full day of hiking, dawn to dusk if I start with the water warm.

Lot's of good ideas in here. With bottles I don't top 'em off. The sloshing action seems to hold off freezing. Iv used plastic flasks, or a wine blatter (botta) for years under a few layers. A small Platapus is next up. At least when falling on 'em they don't hurt as much. I think booze will end up being dehydrating in the end. Chris

Usually I keep the bladder next to my back relying on my body heat to keep it from freezing. I also thread the tube through my coat and leave the bite valve inside my coat until I need to drink...Blow the excess water in the tube back into the bladder between sips to keep the tube from freezing. Using this technique, Ive never had my hydration system freeze up on me. (Ive been out in -45 degree weather and still been able to drink!)

BirdHead Studios