Full Dryloft or Bivy?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaddock

Reaction score
If you have a winter bag with full dryloft does a lightweight bivy like the "Bibler Winter Bivy" give you much value added?

Would it be better to get a bag with a different finish and then add the bivy on top?

-Shayne

I have heard that you really cut the breathability when you double layer the breathable fabrics. I can't back this up with facts but it makes sense to me.

I use the Winter Bivy and think it really works well. I use it for leantos, tarping and just sleeping under the stars. I wouldn't trust it to keep me dry in the rain and I use a ground cloth.

I have no real experience with dry loft bags, I prefer the dry loft to be in the bivy. Why?

Wider temperature range, on top of bivy to inside bivy.

I buy into that even dryloft inhibits moisture transfer to outside of the bag. Though a bivy can do this as well, though then the moisture migrates to the outside of the sleeping bag for the most part.

Dryloft bags are a pain to compress (from real experience) I've since guessed that packing it inside out may help.

I use down a nylon shelled bag with a bivy, as needed.