Fun with Poison Ivy

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artex

Reaction score
As much as I like the VFTT'er by the same name, I'm talking about the rash you get from the plant. Is it just me, or does running scorching hot water over a poison ivy rash feel really good? I actually look forward to it. Why is that so, or am I just a freak?

I am going to vote for freak. But hey, it takes one to know one. You should really check out salmonella poisoning, that is a boat load of fun! I have had it twice, and if you like projectile vomiting, man you are gonna love this one!

Artex said:
As much as I like the VFTT'er by the same name, I'm talking about the rash you get from the plant.

I share your admiration for the former and dislike for the rash. I'm highly allergic to the stuff and had horrible, elephant-man eruptions as a youth. I still get it, but not so badly. "Ick" loves river-banks, so they are my biggest danger-zone. I got a bad case from a canoe race on the Charles in late April, about five years ago.

I would never think of running hot water on it - de gustibus.... Cool baths with an oatmeal compound used to help a little. Nowadays, I am partial to the calamine powder that sprays on - Caladryl is the brand name, I think.

Gotta put in a plug for jewelweed as a means of prevention. Pick it, split the stem, rub it all over. Repeat as necessary. Worked on the ivy infested sections of the AT for us, when others were itchy, rashy...and worse. We would pick it whenever we found it, and save it for the end of the day. So, I followed this for over 1,000 miles:
Image-4C788E986AB211DA.jpg

If you are, then so am I. My theory, based on nothing scientific whatsoever, is that the hot water stimulates the nerve endings, giving the same sort of input as scratching, but without the physical contact.

For me, OTC hydrocortisone cream is the way to go.

una_dogger said:
I was about to agree that you were a freak.. :D .and then it dawned on me..how the heck did you get poison ivy this time of year??
You can get the oil on you from the stems any time of year--not terribly likely in winter, but still possible.

Doug

Jewel weed is indeed an amazing plant. In addition to trail biscuit's suggestion, you can use it to prvent the awful stinging of stinging nettles. If you rub against stinging nettles, pick jewel weed, crush it and rub it over the stingy parts and you will fell better immediately. Tried and tested on my LT thruhike.

sli74

What is it about jewelweed that makes it such a great thing? I've never heard of it...then again I'm not allergic to poison ivy

yet

I know this because I remember eating it when I was 3 or 4 years old....yes eating it. I distinctly remember my mother freaking out and calling the poison control. All I know is, nothing happened to me. Maybe it was all the grass and other leaves I was eating that day..... ;) Ahh to be 4 again.

grouseking

DougPaul said:
You can get the oil on you from the stems any time of year--not terribly likely in winter, but still possible.

Doug

True, I had it one winter because the wood I was using for my stove had some Poison Ivy vines on it....but this was just a good opening to call Artex a freak.......so............ :D

una_dogger said:
True, I had it one winter because the wood I was using for my stove had some Poison Ivy vines on it....but this was just a good opening to call Artex a freak.......so............ :D

Well, I often do elicit strange looks from folks during conversation for some reason. :cool:

FWIW, it might have been poison sumac, but from what I understand, the irritant is similar if not identical to poison ivy. Got it either while fly fishing the other day at a local river or during a trail run.

Dugan - glad to hear I'm not the only one.
One of us, one of us...

Artex said:
:D Great way to start the day ! Couldn't make that movie today.

Googled "poison ivy hot water" and you're not alone. Lots of recommendations about nearly scalding water. Nerve confusion or some such. As long as you don't progress to hot wax and whips, I think it's okay.
Heck, even if you do, it's probably better than scratchin'.

A.K.A. "Touch Me Nots"

sli74 said:
Jewel weed is indeed an amazing plant. In addition to trail biscuit's suggestion, you can use it to prvent the awful stinging of stinging nettles. If you rub against stinging nettles, pick jewel weed, crush it and rub it over the stingy parts and you will fell better immediately. Tried and tested on my LT thruhike.

sli74

Jewel weed also provides endless trail entertainment late in the summer. It has little green seed pods about 1/2" long or so. When they get really fat and bursty looking you can gently squeeze the bulbous middle between your fingers and the pod will explode (not like a James Cameron movie explosion or anything...but..). The fatter the pod the burst-ier the response when touched.

Seed pod

Also, if you pick a leaf off of the plant and hold it under the water it turns a beautiful metallic silver "color". It's sort of mesmerizing.

So, as you can see, I'm very easily entertained. But next time you run across some Jewel weed/touch-me-not...stop and have some fun with it even if you're not rolling around in that nasty poison ivy stuff!

Having had over 50 cases of poison ivy, some incredibly severe, I know the relief that very hot water provides.

I don't have the same 'fun' as my 1-2 cases per year each year has been reduced to 1 very mild case every 3-5 years...once I found the secret neutralizer. It works so well that I was even brazen enough to dive into an ivy patch near my back yard with some nitrile gloves and rip it out by hand to eliminate the possibility of it spreading to my yard.

Oh, by the way, the secret is gojo waterless hand cleaner applied liberally to every exposed surface at the end of the day. Walk thru the ivy in shorts without fear as long as you lather up with the gojo, goop, or even generic within 8-10 hours... just before hopping in the shower.

My son picked some up last week when we were out bouldering on the nearby ridge. I did not get it, but I don't get much of an allergic reaction to it. So, it's not too early in the season to get it.

And Artex, not only are you a freak, you are also a DORK!

-percious

sli74 said:
What is gojo waterless cleanser? Where do you buy this stuff?

sli74

Its a "grease" type cleaner. You'll see it in auto shops like a mechanic uses it after a day in grease working on your car..grab a glop of it from the jug and rub like washing hands...rinse with water...clean hands. Doesnt smell all that good, but not bad either.

I'd suggest any auto parts store (napa, pep boys, auto zone, etc) or the soap section of your local grocery might even have it.

Didn't ever know it has use as a poison ivy repellent, learn something new everyday.

M

Tecnu is a brand of clenser for the poison ivy oil, urushiol. (I think there is another brand, but I can't think of it right now...) http://www.rei.com/online/Search.do?vcat=REI_SEARCH&vcat=REI_SEARCH&query=poison+ivy&x=0&y=0

There are also some products that are applied before exposure to coat the ski with a protective barrier.

There is a whole bunch of info in the rec.backcountry distilled wisdom (posted periodically). A copy (with an added header) can be found here: http://www.patc.net/resources/florafauna/pois_ivy.html or http://groups.google.com/group/rec....read/thread/141be68dd57e6df3/1e61767f3c957958

If you have really serious problems, it is possible to get allergy shots to reduce your sensitivity.

Best is to avoid it: "Leaves of three, let it be".

Doug

Last edited:
I'm just going to let King Tut do all my postings from now on!! His head is always in the same place as mine! :eek:

I've never been poisoned by the weed, even after being out in the woods with others that did get infected. I guess that there is a personal level of tolerance built into each of us - and I've gathered support of that from this post. Great info all about the jewelweed - never knew anything about it.

Now, about Artex, a freak AND a dork!! Who'd-a guessed?? Does he hike in running shoes??

Artex said:
As much as I like the VFTT'er by the same name, I'm talking about the rash you get from the plant. Is it just me, or does running scorching hot water over a poison ivy rash feel really good? I actually look forward to it. Why is that so, or am I just a freak?

Much to my suprise, I had that same experience. It was an amazing thing!