Galehead, Twins, Bonds Saturday Dec 3rd

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucky Laura

Reaction score
Gale River Road still open as of 12/4. First time up the new reroute of Gale River Trail. It was nice to not only avoid the stream crossings but the trail is beautifully laid out, from what I could see by headlamp.

Trail grew slightly icy and then very icy just before Galehead Hut. Managed without microspikes but probably would have moved better with them. An undercast lay at hut level so limited views from summit of Galehead. Finally discarded the headlamp here.

Put on microspikes for climb up S. Twin. The climb was not too bad and might have been manageable by bare boot for some. Extraordinary views on S. Twin in all directions of other mountain tops rising above the sea of clouds in the early sunrise. Could make out the spine of the Green Mountains clearly. Very icy on most of the N Twin spur-traction most helpful. Ledges were thickly coated up final climb to N. Twin.

Back on S. Twin, initial descent a little icy and tedious but then Twinway was easy going after that all the way to Bondcliff Trail. Bondcliff Trail was also mostly free of ice, save for steep section down Bond. Surprisingly few people out. Only saw 7 people between W. Bond and Bondcliff, including Emerel and Georgia, who were enjoying the summit and smelling the krumholz!

Had blown out my North Face boots the day before coming off Passaconway and only had my plastic Koflach Arctic Expes with me. Pretty heavy for a long day but feet did not suffer too much till the last mile to Lincoln Woods. Heavenly day to be out on a nice long walk.