Garfield on Columbus day a few questions

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

patrickbrusil

Reaction score
These are kind of open ended:

Any clue if it will be very crowded on the monday of columbus day weekend or do most people travel home on that day rather than hike?

Will Columbus day be too late for foliage or is it prime season? I have not been north in about 3 weeks and I don't know how early the season change occurs.

Columbus Day is usually near the end of leaf season. You'll still see color, but it probably won't be peak, especially up high.

I would imagine most people will drive home on Monday. Depending on the weather, many will still be hiking. If you are looking to spend Monday night at the shelter I doubt you will have much company. Bring the big sleeping bag. :)

-dave-

Great Choice for a Fall Hike

I went up Garfield on Columbus Day in 2002. I had the summit to myself. I did see some people on the way down who attempted Lafayette but were turned around by strong winds. It was not busy by any measure. The summit foliage had a light coating of rime ice. South Twin and Lafayette did as well. I just looked at some of my photos from that hike. The views of the foliage in the Pemi were spectacular! That rated as my favorite hike of all time.

Your mileage my vary; It's usually past peak in the Twin Mt area on Columbus Day.

patrickbrusil said:
These are kind of open ended:

Any clue if it will be very crowded on the monday of columbus day weekend or do most people travel home on that day rather than hike?

Will Columbus day be too late for foliage or is it prime season? I have not been north in about 3 weeks and I don't know how early the season change occurs.

As some with a good amount of knowledge of tress. I am guessing foliage season is going ot last a while and be fairly coloreful. unless we get a storm with lots of wind it has been a warm and some what wetter summer so the trees have put a lot of energy into growth. what cuases the chnge in colors is the dimishing daylight along with how much moisture the trees got over the spring and Simmer. . cool weather plays a small part . but is has been warm The best time in Northeren NH is the last week of september or the frist week of October. Unless the weather is bad a lot of people will be out and about ,Garfiled is a fairly easy hike with great views expect lots of company

Last edited: