Gathering 7.5 Mt Washington Hike 1-15-05

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Washington in Winter!

There's nothing like Washington in Winter...Hey Arm, I tried to get people to moon the cog...they thought I was crazy...I told them you did it...they already know you're crazy.... :p

Thanks Frodo for leading the group. I had a lot of fun, it was a great hike. I really had fun with those 5 Canadian cuties all the way up Lion's Head...wish they would have stopped by the gathering...

Unfortunately I left my camera in the car along with my snacks...I was kindof rushed in the AM as I may have had too much to drink the night before, not sure...

Swamp and I saw the same yellow fox on our way down. It was hugh!

It really was great meeting and hiking with everyone.

Hope to see all on the trails!

TJH said:
Blue Z, where is the picture I took of you between the Lion head rocks and the snow fields on the way down?

Tim, great to hike with you too!!! I agree, Frado is a great team leader ...

this is the picture:
http://juno.bumc.bu.edu/~junyu/album/mtWW/images/IMG_3279_JPG.jpg

This is the picture people were descending lionhead, I can't tell who is who ...
http://juno.bumc.bu.edu/~junyu/album/mtWW/images/IMG_3286_JPG.jpg

BTW, the LCD viewFinder of my camera was frosted when above the treeline ... it is almost not useful.

Just read this:

Yesterday we had a rescue of an individual who fell in to the "fan" rocks due to a slip on the very hard crust we have in many locations. We spent the afternoon lowering the patient to the bottom of the Ravine and down to Pinkham. This accident accentuates how hard conditions are in many places around the mountain. It is highly recommended that if you venture into angled terrain of almost any degree YOU NEED MOUNTAINEERING EQUIPMENT IN THE FORM CRAMPONS AND AN ICE AXE TO TRAVEL SAFELY.

--- Avalanche Advisory for Tuckerman and Huntington Ravines
Posted: 9:07 a.m., Monday, January 17, 2005

Last edited:
From TJH
Jim, TJH = cop from Fairhaven, Ma

Thanks TJH, for some reason I though there was a number before that :eek: sorry, I am bad with names. Good to have your company, this was one of my favorite winter hikes.

From SherpaK
Jim, the priceles shot is... priceless! And yes we were on the Carter's, just a bit North of your shot (Middle and South).

Thanks Sherpa and a BIG THANKS for organizing this event. I wish I could've gone over to Barnes afterward to meet you all.

Hope to hike with you in the future and see many of you on Saturday.

Metsky rocks

Somebody's gotta tell David Metsky they get the joke: Robert Palmer, addicted to Gloves.

Your lights are on, but you're not home
Your mind is not your own
Your heart sweats, your body shakes
Another kiss is what it takes
You can't sleep, you can't eat
There's no doubt, you're in deep
Your throat is tight, you can't breathe
Another kiss is all you need

Whoa, you like to think that you're immune to the stuff, oh yeah
It's closer to the truth to say you can't get enough
You know you're gonna have to face it, you're addicted to love.

How long???

This question is posed on another thread by someone else, but I thought I'd ask it here since you guys just did Washington last weekend (the trip & pics look awesome by the way!!!) How long did it take you all to summit. I tried on Dec. 5th and turned around once I topped the headwall due to temps of zero, 60 - 80mph winds and high avalanche danger warning. Also, I promised my wife & kids I'd start down by 2:00pm no matter where I was, and since I got a late start... that's where I was.

Because I was hiking solo I was overpacked for the climb bringing everything I'd need for an emergency overnight (pack weight about 25 lbs). My parka was way too hot on the climb below treeline, then it got way too heavy with sweat and cold above it. Thank God I had 2 extra dry base layers to change into at the caretakers station before beginning the final climb up Lions Head trail. I should have gone with several fleece layers and a lightweight shell (which I've since bought!).

The climb up took me 4 hours (and that's not even to the summit, just to the top of the wall). I don't really have anyone around here to hike with so it's great to find you guys & gals. I wouldn't want to hold anyone up, and because I won't rush myself beyond my abilities, I'd like to get an Idea of how I stand before I take on a group hike.

Hope to hike with you someday & thanks for the info

MtWashington03_small1.JPG

Peace Out...
Capt. Jim

How long?

Posted by CaptainJim
How long did it take you all to summit

We started at 8am and I (the last of the group to summit) arrived around 12:50. Took me almost 5 hours but I was the slowest, there is 4,300 feet of vertical on Lions head. We had GREAT weather, only some wind just after LH.

So I wasn't too slow then???

Jim lombard said:
Posted by CaptainJim

We started at 8am and I (the last of the group to summit) arrived around 12:50. Took me almost 5 hours but I was the slowest, there is 4,300 feet of vertical on Lions head. We had GREAT weather, only some wind just after LH.

So my 4 hours (or so) to the top of the LH wasn't too bad I guess huh?

Capt. Jim