Gathering 8.5 - narrowing it down

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What is your choice for Gathering 8.5 accommodations?

• White Wolf

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tea Pond Camps

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Cupsuptic Campground

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Go back to the drawing board (i.e. find another region)

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

spencer

Reaction score
Maine Avatar: We could use some snow around here
Now that everyone has cooled off from Gathering 8.0, I figured I'd revisit the issue of our Gathering 8.5 in Maine during the weekend of January 13-16, 2006

In the last poll the consensus was to have it in the Stratton Kingfield area.

The options:

White Wolf Inn ~ $35 person/night (they get premium rates b/c of the snowmobile season)

+ near food, warm, closer to best hiking, the Original leather apron and crappy salad bar
- no common area for carousing, drinking, no bonfires

Tea Pond Camps ~$30 person/night

+ warm cabins, kitchen access (or they might even cook for us if we had enough people), traditional hunting camp feel
- a bit further away, expensive

There are no campgrounds in the area that are open in the winter (I've even pleaded with a couple of places to open just for us)

Cupsuptic Campground in Oquossoc is open ~ $4 person/night

+ CHEAP, real camping, close to Saddleback (ski area and hiking), would love our business and will plow or not plow out tent sites, according to our preferences
- colder, much further from Stratton hiking and supplies

What do you all think?

Last edited:
A winter gathering without the opportunity to "chill" just doesn't feel right. I'd really like to skin up Saddleback and the Horn, and that would be a full weekend for me (unless I also skinned up Sugarloaf!)

BTW, unless something changes soon we will not have the large warming tent that we had in the past.

Incidentally, will the campground have showers?

Gatherings are for camping!!!!!!

Gatherings are for camping!!! No Inns, no cabins! Campground with huge bonfire, lots of beer and burgers. Thats what gatherings are for. I don't care how cold it is. It will still be more fun camping out.

Last edited:
I'd like to camp out and use my new sleeping bag that i bought last year...gotta get my $ worth out of it..

spencer said:
Cupsuptic Campground in Oquossoc is open ~ $4 person/night
<SNIP>
- colder, much further from Stratton hiking and supplies

Cupsuptic (Oquossoc, and my vote) is pretty close to Rangeley, with stores, etc. and to Saddleback. Can't remember if the road to Stratton, up through Dallas, is open in the winter or not. Anyone?

Mad Townie,

I think you are talking about Rt. 16 and yes, it's open in the winter. It's probably around 30 minutes to Stratton from Oquossoc.

Well, good, I'm glad there is finally some response. I'm leaning toward Cupsuptic myself.

Skinning up Saddleback is great fun! Especially, the second time around ;)

spencer

I would maybe go with the flow and change my vote from Tea Pond Camps (can we have a fire there?) to Cupsuptic Campground if I had a winter tent and a winter bag (which I will not be able to afford in time) :eek:. In general, I agree, camping is better than cabins. Those that know me know, I ALWAYS tent in warmer weather. However, I'd rather not catch hypothermia.

That said, when choosing a location, please try to think of those of us who would like to join in the festivities but do not have the resources ($) or equipment to stay at a campground. :(

Really suprised by the negativity... :( :(

Hold the Press!

okay, friend and fellow VFTT member GO (I'll let him release his name when he wants) stepped up and offered his property for the event.

Some of you have been to his awesome house/compound in Kingfield. He has tons of room for tents and a bonfire. He has a small house/cabin available (with 3 beds for those who desparately don't want to tent) which has a kitchen and a bathroom. We might want to think about renting a porta-potty for the weekend, but otherwise, it'll be a perfect venue. He has ski trails right on his property and is only 20 minutes from the Loaf or the Bigelows.

It'll be cheap (housewarming gifts, porta john contributions, pots of gold, etc. would be welcomed, I'm sure) and homey.

GO is a an awesome guy and knows the area's recreation opportunities better than anyone!

What do you all say?

spencer

I say w00t! GO is awesome, I'll vouch for his yard, and we simply need to make sure nobody does any yak imitations (ie, we have to behave). :)

Where would we be able to go for showers? I wouldn't want to use GO's hot water and septic system. Is there anyplace with coin-ops or something similar available?

Last edited:
Thanks Spencer for organizing, and thanks to GO for offering up his property which sounds perfect. I'm all for chipping in to rent a port-o-potty, which seems necessary if there is the same size crowd as last year. Doesn't seem practical to arrange that from down here, but if there is any other task(s) that needs to be done, I'm willing to help out.

Sue

ps I think rolling in the snow is a perfectly good substitute for showers.

Thanks GO, that is so wonderful !!!!! Hope he knows what he is getting himself into ;)

Double Bow, I don't think anyone meant to be negative, I think it is just enthusiasm for camping, not anything negative directed at you per se . . . also in the past, some folks (Audrey,Pat, Littlebear, Teejay, etc) have found a local nearby indoor lodging option and still joined in all the fun and that might be something you can also consider . . . email or PM them to find out their plans.

sli74