gear advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scouter Bill

Reaction score
I beg some gear advice, please. I’m using hiking established trails (from the Loj) over Algonquin, Iroquois, and, perhaps, Wright Saturday 13 March, camping by Lake Colden. Which of the following would be useful bring.
- ice axe
- crampons
- StabilIcers
- snowshoes

Mar 13th is still winter, snowshoe rule in the eastern HPs still apply. Bring/use the snowshoes. No "established" trail on Iriquois, it's most likely just follow the track or make your own over Boundary, at least in winter anyway.

No need for an ice axe on those peaks, IMO. and I'm more apt to bring crampons and leave the stabilizers at home, but that might just be me.

Jay

You should definitely include that Dawkins jersey from your avatar with whatever gear you pack!!
Two thumbs up for that!!!!!!!!

In addition to the snowshoes, I would bring some other traction device ('pons/Stablicers), as there are some rocky scrambles as you approach the Iroquois summit that will likely require them, and snowshoes would be too cumbersome/clunky to wear through this section.

When we did Alg/Wright/Iroq in early Oct. '08, there was a few inches of snow up top, though nothing down at Marcy Lake. We had uninsulated hiking boots, which were fine, but there were some icy spots on the rocks where we wished we had brought traction devices. Given that it's the end of winter, I wouldn't be surpised if there was a LOT of ice up on top of Iroquois.

As far as the ice axe, tough call. Personally, I'd prob'ly bring it, just to have additional aids to get through slick spots, but YMMV, of course...

I did Wright-Alg-Iro last Saturday and MSR's were all that was needed. Lot's of nice snow. Also, the route up Iroquois takes a different and very easy path compared to the regular route.

If the wind has hidden the packed trail in the col over to Boundary watch out, the spruce traps are horrendous. As in neck deep.