Gear Help for my Dad

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Artex

Reaction score
My father is considering segment hiking the Appalachian Trail, but doing so in large chunks and he's asked for my help in picking out equipment. However, I am quite out of the loop with gear and was hoping some of you could help me.

Important to note: My father is in his early 60s and is in the early stages of Parkinson's Disease, so the easier the set-up, the better. PD aside, my dad is also one of the most mechanically declined people you'll ever meet.
However, he is otherwise in great shape and continues to run ultramarathons, and he's fit for the task.

Specifically, I need help picking out a lightweight tent, backpack and sleeping bag. Any recommendations are appreciated. Thanks.

Pack: GG vapor trail
Tent: SD Clip 1 (or whatever the single one is called)

Can't go wrong w/ those two

Bag: depends entirely upon where and where

Footwear: will be much more critical me thinks

best of luck :D

Artex, depending on the degree of PD he has, I think the stove might be the biggest issue. My guess is he'll need something pretty solid, not something like the Whisperlite. As for tents, those clip thingies that Sierra Designs uses make things much easier.

Michelle said:
I am sure there are many good options for him there.

I have never done a through hike.

The Golite "Dawn" is another very light backpack.

In early September of 1998, I was on an overnight at the Guyot shelter and met a through hiker who went by the trailname "Model T". He was 62 and on his third through hike. He wore Limmer boots. He did mention that his pack averaged about 16 lbs for most of the trip. The best description for it would be a set of canvas bags attached to a rack. We did not discuss the pack because to me it looked silly. I thought those bags would be constantly banging up against the rack. But how do you argue with success? He said he did not need a tent. Some things to consider.

The DVD "Trek" is very entertaining and was available at the Crawford Notch hut when I was there. It is sort of like "Warren Miller does a through hike". Those guys were aged twenty something bucks when they did the hike.

Last edited:
Tent: Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight, 4 lbs. small for 2, perfect for 1, easy to setup.
Pack: Osprey Eeither 70, very light and comfortable.
Bag: I really like the EMS Velocity 35, packs super small and is synthetic.
Stove: Jetboil PCS, great little stove.

You should have titled this thread "Can of Worms." :D You're going to get a different opinion from everyone because what works for one person may not work for another.

I would second the opinion from the "mystery person" who suggests whiteblaze.net. But, with a caveat: patience. There is a lot of...well...crap...on WhiteBlaze that gets in the way of the information. Use the search function, and you can find the good stuff. (If you want to see how well this site is moderated, read that site for a while.)

The advantage that your father has is that he will be able to hike the Trail in select weather. Thruhikers have to deal with the weather as it comes, so their gear advice might be different from what a section hiker needs. Just something to keep in mind.

As far as gear suggestions, I think it's been stated here before, but definitely buy the pack last. You don't want him to get a lightweight, 3200 cu. in. pack, and then find out his gear weighs 35 pounds without food and water. With regards to the other gear, your father will need to make the classic weight vs. comfort decisions. In my experience, I've seen that most older hikers want a thicker sleeping pad.

As far as other things, I would highly recommend a sleeping bag from Western Mountaineering. I have the UltraLite Super 20 Degree . It's a great, great bag.

For shelter, I would stay away from hammocks, even though they're light. If you're worried about your father's PD, this may be more hassle than it's worth. That brings you to tents. In my opinion, he has two choices the MSR Hubba or the Sierra Designs Baku . My wife and I use the Sierra Designs Lightning, and it's a fantastic 2-person tent.

Once you've figured our the gear situation, weigh it all. Very important. As a section hiker, don't plan on carrying more than 5 days of food. You won't need more than that. If your base weight, i.e without food and water, is under 17 pounds or so take a look at these two packs: ULA Catalyst or the Six Moon Designs Starlite. I have the Starlite. It's awesome. If the base weight is heavier, look at Osprey or Granite Gear.

There's more, but that should be enough to keep you busy for a while. :D Good luck!

Tent: Big Agnes seedhouse SL1 or 2
or SD Lightning (2 person)

The SD Lightyear (1 person) and the SD Clipflashlight (2 person) are nice (I have them both), but neither are freestanding - that's why I'd go with the former two.
All these tents are double wall too - I despise single walled tents in real rainy weather, and it's bound to happen.

Bag: 2nd vote for the EMS Velocity 35 - very compressible, light, synthetic, and warm enough for summer use. It has a 3/4 zipper, so not good if you like to stick your feet out.

Pack: Kind of too personal since you really have to try it on to see what fits, but I've been using Golite packs and love em.

Last edited:
Great responses so far, thank you as it is much appreciated. I'll check out the suggestions so far and recommend to my dad which ones I think are best. Keep'em coming if you feel inclined to do so.

-Jamie

tent

Artex - you can't go wrong w/ a Sierra Designs tent whicever model you choose- light, built to last, easy to set up, affordable and treated with an anti-mildew agent... ;)