Getting Isolated 4/17-4/18/11

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dave Bear

Reaction score
Brookline, NH Avatar:Ice Cave on Cascade Brook
Not that I don’t like people and comradery, but sometimes it feels very special to have a mountain or piece of woods to yourself. When you come through some places on the trail as you dayhike its hard to resist a feeling that tells you “What a great place to pitch a tent and enjoy life”! The first time I went to hike Isolation was on a winter attempt that failed to reach the summit but was a complete success in every other aspect. During this hike we floundered in spruce traps and laughed at how close we were to the mountain. Within easy view and perhaps only a half mile away. On the way out I remarked to a friend about how much I enjoyed the birch glades and would love to camp there someday!

After that hike I started to research this little mountain and found its past was full of big adventures. People had teamed up through many winters and followed quite a variety of alphabetized bushwhacks in their quest for the quaint little summit. I have no doubt that some of this team effort matured hiking forums from their infancy as people communicated about the fun adventures. My first successful trip would be by a different route on the 4th of July reaching the summit at sunset. I sat viewing the great silhouettes of the Presidential Range and thinking how much had been given to us by those before us so we could enjoy freedom and liberty to choose our paths. The mountain came to be a place of more patriotic holidays, twice with friends on the Flags on 48 for the victims of 911 then Memorial Day for my daughter Kim’s first trip out. Since my work gives me Patriots Day as a holiday there was a likely choice where I would head. Mountains like Isolation, Owl’s Head and the Bonds give you that sweet release from the hustle bustle of the work week and home life that other mountains fail to deliver. Here the earth owns a piece of your time and makes you happy to be engulfed in it.

Since the days were warm I decided to hike in during the evening on firm snow. As we climbed Engine Hill the moon was a bright orange and the weather looked as though it might clear out some but soon it was fully overcast. The full moon was on Monday and I could picture how that would have been on the night's blanket of snow. My Norwegian Elkhound , Thor and I made camp in the first birch glade on the Engine Hill bushwhack. This area is peaceful and serene beyond belief and should be a destination all its own! This was Thor’s first overnight and first time to sleep in the tent. While I set up he was happy to romp around the glades and nervous when he was first in the tent. Soon he was sound asleep only to wake up scared again when the wind kicked up. It got very windy and he kept looking at me wondering when I was going to be nervous. Not happening though because I love wild weather!

With the wind came some Artic air and the snow developed a nice hard crust that allowed you to go anywhere. We woke at six and headed out early for the peak. The glades make it almost to the crossing and that was a solid snowbridge. Thor is a master of route finding and though I know the way it was fun to let him lead some. We had the mountain to ourselves and summited before too much clearing took place. This was Thor’s NH4K #19! When we headed down I actually contemplated taking one of those bushwhack routes down to the crossing but knew I would never forgive myself if Thor got hurt. Thanks little buddy for keeping me sane!:rolleyes:

We enjoyed the trip out through the glades in sunshine and a restful lunch at our camp. It was a surprise that the night before and at noon I could call from the tent and say hi to my wife. She was nervous about our water crossings and this was the only part of the trip that was unisolated! On the way out less than half a mile from the Jeep we saw a young bull moose. Thor barked some and started toward him so I called him off. Like a good pup he flanked in behind me and hiked past with only a little growly grumbling. Another great day in the woods!;)

Slideshow:
http://good-times.webshots.com/slideshow/580088034huutTh

Last edited:
I was worried about the water crossing too Dave. I'm glad you ended up having such a nice trip. I am jealous of your camp in the glades! Russ and I packed up with that same intention, but never followed through once we got there. On our trip it was just too wet. Thor is quite the hiking companion. Congrats to him on #19! He is adorable in the tent and I love the summit photo of you both!

Dave,
I'm so glad you finally made it back to those glades to backpack! I remember that hike and how beautifull those glades were and after a hard and dissapointing hike were a welcome sight to us!
When I think of spruce traps, I always remember that day when I was over my head in multiple ones...Glad you were there for that hike even if we didn't summit that day!
Awesome pics and glad Thor joinned you!:D

dave i was curious, what kind of dog is that? I have a keeshound and that dog has the same kind of fur, its looks like a cross between a keeshound and a shepard.

Hi Sierra! He is a purebred Norwegian Elkhound. He's about 45 pounds and just over one year. They don't get much bigger than that so not to worry about giving up too much space in the tent. He is a great hiker and his wirey coat sheds off the snow well. No problems with icing between his pads either. His name is Thor for the Norse god of thunder. They are related somewhat to the Keeshound and the Spitz. Known to be a very old breed. Very playful on the trail but can be a little headstrong. The hot months in the summer will be tough on him but are also when I tend to do less or be less aggressive with my itinerary!;)