Getting to know you...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boreal Chickadee...My 1st kayak was a Swifty....
I had never been in a kayak yet my wife bought me one as a birthday surprise a couple of years back when I wasn't able to do any hiking.
I loved it instantly !
I could lift it and paddle it without any discomfort etc...
Within a couple of months I had run class 2+ with it and shortly was Whale watching with it. It is also great for moose country and have had good luck watching Eagles with it as well.
These days I mostly paddle a Eddyline Nighthawk...it's a Touring kayak for Ocean or lakes. It can carry gear for about 3 overnights.
Listed as a "sports car" of a boat...it is a pretty lively boat... often a bit more jittery for me till I get warmed up.
I call it my boat of a "hundred heart attacks"....thats how I felt the 1st time I was out in "confused" seas...off the Isles de Madeline. Thought it was going over all the time but never did....turns out it can take some pretty heavy "lumpy" waters...but it still gives me stomach butterflies in following seas...for that roller coaster effect. (That's still more my need to relax and enjoy them.)
Next boat (or two)... Thinking of getting a used white water for playing around in choppy stuff....However we are mostly looking to get a nice tandem these next couple of years. We have been in a couple rentals and are looking forward to getting one for some heavier expedition camping....as it is now it is really difficult to stay in good communication with each other in windy conditions, which for us is almost always...
......Have my eye on a nice Boreal Design 2 seater for 73 lbs......

bubba said:
Jamie... I'm glad to hear that you kayak. I really can't figure out how you hike or run with only one leg. :eek:

I have a prosthetic, but it fell off just moments before that picture was taken. I actually finished the race on my hands and came in first.

Actually, I thought your nickname was 'pogo'?

Do you work at Ihop? Badumpbump...chee.. I'm here all week! :D

Jay

Just found this forum. Neat!

I've been canoeing all my life, got hooked on sea-kayaking about 6 years ago. My wife and I have matching P&H Capella kayaks. We take them on local rivers, to the North Shore of the Boston area, and to Casco Bay, Maine. At least once a year we take them to the Mount Desert Island (Acadia) area. We are pretty familiar with that area now and can offer tips on places to stay and visit.

Adirondacks and beyond

Just joined here. Glad to see this forum.

I paddle an Impex Outer Island (18 ft.) and for the past two years, 100% use of Greenland paddles. I formerly owned the Impex Montauk. I typically paddle with a couple different upstate NY kayak groups on the larger lakes in the Adirondacks, the mid-Hudson River, and once a year or so, the New England coast.

My favorite kayaking destinations are Lake George, Indian Lake, Lake Champlain, and Little Tupper Lake.

With my wife, we canoe with a Wenonah Adirondack kevlar.

For my nature photography business, I use the Bell Bucktail pack canoe.

The greenland paddle has opened up a whole new world of extended bracing, sculling, and most of the time- rolling. Paddling with a Euro paddle, I felt I was on the water. With the Greenland paddle, I feel like I am one with the water. That of course, means a drysuit anytime now.

Regards,
Adkayaker

Last edited:
adkayaker said:
I paddle an Impex Outer Island (18 ft.) and for the past two years, 100% use of Greenland paddles. I formerly owned the Impex Montauk.
I paddled most of the Impex line at a demo day this year and the Outer Island was by far my favorite, what a sweet boat. Your testimony of Greenland paddles and rolling has me more interested in getting one as my next paddle since I really enjoy my time upside down :D

-Doug

Impex

I also tried and liked the new Impex Force boats. If I did more camping, I would have the Force 4. As mainly a day paddler, I liked the low volume of the OI best.

If the name didn't give it away...yeah..I do a little kayaking. I have resisted my lusting after owning a nice Pintail,so I have but one kayak. And I love it!
I paddle an NDK Explorer from Wales 17'10',21.5 beam-an indestructable beast,built to bash on the rocks in Scotland and Wales. I however,only bash it on the rocks in Maine! This is a rough water expedition boat with wonderful handling.
Mrs KD is paddling a Boreal Design Ellesmere 17'6",22" beam. A lovely blue and white,Greenland hard chine boat,that doesn't handle worth a damn-but she loves it.
We paddle wherever there's water,but coastal Maine is our favorite. We also do Squam and Umbagog most years,and on a slack afternoon,we run to Pavillion Beach in Ipswich. And then there are the strange trips..through the Charles River Locks into the harbor-at night-in November. We ended up with the CG pointing automatic weapons and lights on us-"who...me?..we're just paddlin...really!"
We also use kayaking as an excuse to go fun places. Aialik Bay,Alaska-unbeleiveable! Great Exuma(Bahamas)paddling in"an ocean the color of Bombay Gin"(Outside Magazine). This March will be trip 5-just awesome!The Mount Gay Rum,the conch,the lobster,the ocean,and ya mon-it's "rake N.scrape time".
Off course there are our other afflictions-all of which take time and money. Backpacking,winter camping,snowshoeing,XC skiing....and then ther'es the sailboat. Can't explain sailing-ya just gotta feel it!
So...other than that...not much...how 'bout you? :D

More boats than brains..

Howdy All,

I just discovered this forum after being a lurker on the VFTT for quite a while. As the title says I have more boats than brains.

2 - 1992 Current Designs Solstice ST's (currently residing on the beach)
1- Catalina 310 Sailboat (our main form of transport)
1- Walker Bay Sailing Dinghy
1- AB Rigid Inflatable (like a Zodiac) with outboard motor (transport to & fro the mother ship)

Unfortunately with the sailboat we don't kayak as much as we used to but I may go for a paddle tonight. We live on Casco Bay just north of Portland, ME so some of the best sea kayaking in the US is right out our front door. Sometimes, in the spring when the water is still ice cold, we deflate the inflatable dinghy, throw it in the back of the truck and go gunkholing off of Stonington or points east. Even with a dry suit spring and winter kayaking can be dangerous and my wife is not up to that level of proficiency so the inflatable makes the perfect MITA boat..

If anyone needs local knowledge of the Maine coast feel free to ask as I know it very, very well. I'll try and check the forums a few times a week. Check out my Maine Coast photo galleries at the link below..

-Kaibar

Maine Coast Cruising Photo Galleries
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising

Kaibar,I have enjoyed your photographs for some time. Seems that you are in the backyard of our favorite kayaking area-Harpswell. We have been kayaking there for about 8 years,and last year we had our old sailboat on a mooring at Dolphin. Our new boat,a Macgregor 26M is moored in our backyard-considerably cheaper!
The kayaker problem is one of "uneducated" paddlers. Most new paddlers don't know how to read a line of traps,and so they can't figure out what that lobster boat is doing.Paddling Maine without chart and compass-crazy-but most don't know any better. I have been fogged in offshore several times-once literally in a matter of 60 seconds!
We were going to sail over to the Basin this weekend,but the NOAA afternoon read sounds nasty for both days.
Maybe we will meet up at Little Snow or the Basin sometime.

I used to live in Harpswell...

almost directly across from the Goslings. We liked it there and had a mooring in front of our home but the commute up 123 and then down to Portland in the winter was killing my wife. Unfortunately our boat came out of the water today because I have numerous business meetings in October and a wedding in Colorado so there were no weekends left to use the boat. My fall is swamped with business crap so I'll probably sneak out and paddle when I can. I will however be launching Acoustic agin around April 15th.. What's the name of your McGregor I think we saw you once up in Quahog...

-Kaibar

That drive down 123 is a long one-must be great fun in winter!! Haven't gotten our new boat over to Quahog yet-and it won't happen this weekend either,according to the forecast. We have seen another blue 26M around Potts Harbor. We were over by the Gosslings on one trip,stopped at Allens for lunch. Last trip up was to Cocktail Cove on Jewell. Hoping to get one more trip in,and maybe an overnight paddle to Little Snow.
Our boat is "Spice"
I think I saw your posting on "BoatMaine" a while ago. The site was started by Rick,a member of our sailing club "North East Trailer Sailors".