Giant Ledge and Panther - 2/19/09

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catskillhiker

Reaction score
Sheba (my dog) and I started at the old logging road near Winisook Lake after a local snowfall of about 4 to 6 inches. Wore my Atlas 12 snowshoes the whole hike. Snow was "sticky" since the temperatures was just above freezing. This made for a difficult go by myself. Many of the ice flows were covered by the snow.

I felt warm hiking even when there was some wind. The weather kept changing from dark skies to periods of sun. This made for some interesting pictures of the Burroughs Range from Giant Ledge. Some icy patches on the steeper parts of Panther were interesting. By the time we got to the summit of Panther, it was snowing and the views were limited. On the way back the snow intensified and mixed with some sleet. We were glad when we got back to the car.

The trail is broken from Winisook to Panther until the next snow. The trail from the main parking area should be OK with or without snowshoes since it was completely packed on Sunday. My suggestion would be to wear the snowshoes as they provide better traction in these conditions. The MUCH lower temperatures today will firm up the snow.