Given this choice, which peak should I finish my 4000'ers on?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4000'er

Reaction score
What would your top 3 choices on this list be? Thanks.
  • Jefferson
  • Carter Dome
  • Middle Carter
  • South Carter
  • Carrigan
  • Wildcat
  • Wildcat D
  • South Kinsman
  • North Kinsman
  • Willey
  • Cabot
  • Hale
  • Field
  • Tom
  • Moriah
  • Owl's Hwad
  • Waumbek
  • Isolation

After some thought...I came up with my choices for your final 4000'. I would guess that not too many folks would agree with these selections, but I will share my reasons.

#1-Isolation I love this hike (in all seasons). There is a real wilderness feel to the trip in. Rocky Branch Brook accompanies you a good stretch of the way. The trail itself is wonderful hiking. I love the remoteness of the hike. This wondeful trip in ends with a terrific summit. You have a great view of George (a rather unique vantage point). You also have a great view of Monroe, Ike. I have lingered longer on this summit than any of the others.

# 2- Owls Head Many people complain about Owls Head but I truely always enjoy the hike (it was my last 4000' the first time I completed them). It is a wonderful hike in. The hike up the slide is exhilierating....with great, unique views of the Franconia Ridge. It is true that there are no views at the top...the rest of the trip somehow makes up for this.

# 3- Carrigan Really enjoy this hike. It has a great ridge just before the final summit. The summit tower is a great place to spend some celebration time.

All three of these summits are less traveled ones. Finishing the 4000' is an accomplishment and having the "space" to reflect on the journey that has been taken was to me something that I wanted. All three of these trips have large amounts of the elements that draw me out to the Whites.

Good luck....enjoy your remaining trips.

Depends

Jefferson for the feeling of accomplishment, views, etc. or Tom, Field & Willey if you want to complete the last three on a day hike

Unless you are looking to finish up this summer or fall, I would recommend doing Carrigain in the winter, as I did. Sherpa Kroto recommended this to me and it was fabulous advice.

Carrigain is a challenging winter hike, but very rewarding. The views are spectacular and it is very remote and pristine.

Marty

top 3 choices

1.Either Kinsman's (for the spectacular views of Franconia Ridge !)
2. Carrigan (if your into winter hiking the views were breathtaking along signal ridge)

Have fun and keep us posted on your progress :)
kmac

Last edited:
3. Jefferson. Great loop options. Beautiful location too.

2. Isolation. Aptly named peak. Nice open summit.

1. Carrigain. For all the reasons mentioned as well as being able to see 43 of the 47 other 4K's. Great centralized outpost.

I took yor list and broke it into groups of lists. The groups are in decending order, but there is no particular order within each group.

• Jefferson
  • Carrigain
  • Isolation

• Carter Dome
  • Middle Carter
  • South Carter
  • South Kinsman
  • North Kinsman

• Tom

• Wildcat
  • Wildcat D
  • Cabot
  • Moriah
  • Owl's Head
  • Waumbek

• Field
  • Willey
  • Hale

So, Jefferson, Carrigan, and Isolation rose to the top of that list. The top group had 3 peaks by chance and not because you requested 3. Not sure which way I would lean on those 3. It is up to you. You will most likely share the summit on Jefferson + Carrigain. Not sure if that matters to you. Jefferson could be cool because it is a 5k'er. Again, not sure if that matters to you. Anyway, my $0.02.

- darren

Wildcat D= Presi's are right in your face; loved it for my 48th!
Jefferson
South Kinsman

Wildcat A, Carter Dome= Decent, well worth the hike; probably would've been better w/o haze which was there when I bagged them.

North Kinsman= Don't remember, but I think good.
Middle Carter, South Carter= Don't remember, but I think lousy.
Willey = Not terrible, 302 lends scale to photos, but not spectacular
Cabot = Summit itself doesn't have a view; however, just 300 feet south of the summit is a cabin not marked on the AMC map.
Tom= Last June, I didn't see much of a view, but there was one.
Moriah, Carrigan, Isolation = Everyone told me they were great views, but I saw haze/clouds when I bagged them.

Waumbek, Field, Hale= Forget 'em; you're looking at a tree.

Be forewarned that the fever doesn't stop at 48; you'll need to go on to the New England 67, then the Northeast111, then who knows what after that.

1. Isolation (the name says it all) - pseudo remote with great views
2. Jefferson - been on that one more than any other prezzie for a reason
3. Carrigain - a great view but the tower detracts a little

I decided, after about half the NH 4ks, on Carrigain for my final peak. A 360 view and 43 out of 47 peaks visible.

Go out big

Moriah
Middle Carter
South Carter
Carter Dome
Wildcat
Wildcat D

or vice versa. The other way might be the better. Make it a grand weekend.

Hmm, don't know how to give you advice, what are the Criteria:

Views? Mileage? Dayhike? Overnight? Sequence of 1-48? Hiking one at a time? Hiking more than that? Location?

I haven't finished yet myself, but am planning to this summer:

My plans are to finish with a Moriah-Carters-Wildcat traverse, ending on Wildcat D.

my reasons:
1. I wanted a backpack ridge trip, as backpacking trips on the Presidentials and Franconia ridges were when I really started aspiring to attack the list.
2. My first ever 4K was Washington, starting from Pinkham Notch(Lions Head-Tuckerman), This way I will end in Pinkham Notch.

I have once been with someone who finished ther list: Double Bow finished on Carrigain, same place Gator and another friend plan to finish, the thinking behind this peak is that you can see the most 4k's from here

I was Northbounding the Bonds and met people southbounding who were about to end on Bondcliff, not sure how they picked this one, except that its among the best views.

Another friend ended on Moriah, the furthest northeast-Maine's next! The same could work for Moosilauke if Vermont is next.

I also know someone who wants to end on Adams, where her husband started.

VFTTer Eric Savage is the guy you send the application to, he may be able to let you know who has finished where and why.

So as you can see from the large variety of responses people have given, picking based only on listing names to a forum is not the way to go. Maybe if you ask about how each fitsyour criteria, then I can help you.

To quote Southbouders(good movie btw): "Hike your Own Hike"