Glacier Advice

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all,
My brother in law and I are setting out to Glacier this summer, either first or second week of August.
The goal is to do a multi-day backpacking trip (5-7 days) with some down time to exploit the fishing opportunities.
The goal is peace, quiet, and scenery (read: no front-loading car campgrounds with screaming demons... I mean children).

The agenda I'm going to submit for permit is the Kintla-Hole-Bowman loop. I've heard amazing things about Hole in the Wall and Boulder pass.

Aside from that, I know some of you guys have been to Glacier, so I'm curious if you have any advice to offer. I know our hike will fit the bill as far as what we're seeking, but is it the best? Assuming you could get permits for any of the multi-day glacier hikes and can car spot, what would be your agenda? I've seen lots of people rave about the Northern Traverse, how does that compare with the Kintla/Bowman loop? Anything I'd be remiss in neglecting to visit?

Thanks in advance.

I feel pretty confident in saying you can't go wrong in the Glacier backcountry. It's ALL spectacular.

My wife and I did the northern traverse in 2004, before we knew there was such a thing as the northern traverse. I just looked at a map and thought that would be a pretty cool itinerary, so we did it. We had intended to start at Kintla lake, but there was bear activity up there and the trail was closed. So we had to go in at Bowman lake. Bowman was gorgeous. Azure blue water that you can swim in. Amazing. But we never got to see Kintla, regrettably.

What I'm about to say next is important.
Seriously, this next part is really, really important, do not forget it.
DO NOT CAMP AT BROWN PASS.
Unless you are a bat. For you will find more mosquitoes than you thought possible within the laws of physics. It is a horrible, horrible hell hole.

If you do the northern travers, you also get Lake Francis, which in my opinion is the most beautiful place on earth. Goat Haunt is not that awesome, but Stoney Indian pass, Glenns lake, and Cosley lake are ridiculously awesome. Absolutely stunning. We encountered bear activity again at ptarmigan tunnel and had to detour north for a 22 mile final day to Red Gap pass, which ended up being spectacular as well.

Jesus, I really can't wait to go back.

If it were me, I'd do the northern pass. Though again, the loop describe will be amazing. We did the northern traverse over 9 days, which put our daily average mileage at like 7 miles. We were often done our day's hiking by noon so we'd sit by the lake, read a book, swim, marvel at how ridiculously f***ing amazing our lives were. Like, every single day. The miles pass really easily. I'd estimate that miles in Glacier are half as much effort as miles in the Whites. So you could easily do the northern traverse in 4 or 5 days. The nice thing about an extended itinerary (in addition to having a lot time to chill) is it's easier to get the spots you want in the backcountry. As long as you can get your spots at Kintla or Bowman for the first night or two, few people are out longer than that, so you'd have first chance for the walk in spots in the entire rest of the park.

Whoa man, you're in for a treat.

Only been once, and we were in and around the GTTSR (multi-day through Sperry and Gunsight area, day hikes at the Garden Wall, and Iceberg Lake...), but I will say that there are probably no bad hikes in Glacier.

Also, this message board is a tremendous resource: http://www.glacier.nationalparkschat.com/phpBB3/index.php

Lots of helpful posters (PeteE, who used to go by pocketlint, in particular was generous with his time and knowledge) great info on hike options, not to mention how to get your permits and/or work with the rangers if you don't get the permits you one on the first try.