Glen Ellis Scenic Area Closure

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never understood Glen Boulder as a reasonable option for Isolation. Not sure why you'd want to climb a 1,000 ft+ more than you have to on a really rough trail, give up that gain and then reclimb an extra 1,000+ ft again to descend that rough trail to go back. Just to avoid river crossings? I love ascending or descending Glen Boulder for Slide Peak and the open views heading to Boott Spur. But to climb Isolation? Whatever floats your boat I guess. No thanks.
"I never understood Glen Boulder as a reasonable option for Isolation. Not sure why you'd want to climb a 1,000 ft+ more than you have to on a really rough trail, give up that gain and then reclimb an extra 1,000+ ft again to descend that rough trail to go back. Just to avoid river crossings?"

I agree entirely.

Another vote for Glen Boulder. That’s how I did it. Great views on GB and alpine feel. Just don’t get that going RB. I don’t focus solely on elevation gain or river crossings. To me, it’s about the challenge and interesting features of the route. I’d much prefer something hard and interesting over something easy and boring. I do like whacks though (well, most of the time anyway - some can turn out to be annoying).

Another vote for Glen Boulder. That’s how I did it. Great views on GB and alpine feel. Just don’t get that going RB. I don’t focus solely on elevation gain or river crossings. To me, it’s about the challenge and interesting features of the route. I’d much prefer something hard and interesting over something easy and boring. I do like whacks though (well, most of the time anyway - some can turn out to be annoying).
I agree about the challenge and interesting features angle of hikes. I rarely do the "standard" routes, even in the beginning when I was doing the list. I often don't summit anything on hikes, often just looking for above treeline cruising, rocky moss covered ridges and following streams for miles. I've done some pretty weird routes over the years. I once did Mt Monroe by going up Diretissima>Glen Boulder>Davis Path>Tuckerman Crossover>Crawford Path>Monroe Loop>Crawford Path>Camel Trail>Davis Path>Boot Spur. Can't rationalize that one by mileage or vertical but it was an awesome freakin' hike.

So I get what you're saying. I'm just saying for the typical 4k peakbagger (like the person who asked me to go with her for this peak) the Glen Boulder route just seems weird to me as an option.

I loved the Glen Boulder Trail and always wanted to try hiking over to Isolation from it...but...when I would get to the intersection with the Davis Path and looked at the descent, I would change my mind. Like George Patton...I don't like fighting for the same ground twice...
😉

I loved the Glen Boulder Trail and always wanted to try hiking over to Isolation from it...but...when I would get to the intersection with the Davis Path and looked at the descent, I would change my mind. Like George Patton...I don't like fighting for the same ground twice...
😉
You know when I went down Davis I don't remember it being particularly steep. It seemed more casual than I expected. Same with going back up. Legs were completely shot though when coming down GB. lol.

I agree about the challenge and interesting features angle of hikes. I rarely do the "standard" routes, even in the beginning when I was doing the list. I often don't summit anything on hikes, often just looking for above treeline cruising, rocky moss covered ridges and following streams for miles. I've done some pretty weird routes over the years. I once did Mt Monroe by going up Diretissima>Glen Boulder>Davis Path>Tuckerman Crossover>Crawford Path>Monroe Loop>Crawford Path>Camel Trail>Davis Path>Boot Spur. Can't rationalize that one by mileage or vertical but it was an awesome freakin' hike.

So I get what you're saying. I'm just saying for the typical 4k peakbagger (like the person who asked me to go with her for this peak) the Glen Boulder route just seems weird to me as an option.
I agree with you. If one's goal is just to bag the peak, then those folks usually want the path of least resistance. That is certainly not GB.

I have many 4k ascents, yet I have a short list of one-time ascents. Isolation is on that list. I find it to be more of a shoulder then a peak and while its "view" is certainly nice, none of the routes that go to it have any redeeming qualities to make me want to walk that far. Simply put, there are much more worthwhile walks in that area that outshine Isolation. My one ascent was made via the Dry River valley and the Isolation west trail, this was pre-Irene when the valley and trails were much more user friendly. I spent three days in the valley and ate fish every day that the Dry River provided. To me, the best route to the peak now would be via the Davis path, which I never spent time on until I found the 52wav list, now I absolutely love that area. With my background and history of hiking in the Whites, I have been often asked why I never pursued the "grid", short answer, I do not climb mountains I don't care for. Even on the 52wav list, there is one peak I do not like and always climb a de-listed peak in its place.
Dying of curiosity..... What would that one peak be?

Shelburne Moriah.
What?? Shelbourne Moriah is a great summit. Love all the open ledges, the marshy areas with all the flowers once you get out of the trees, etc. Better peak than Moriah itself in my opinion. I usually do an out and back via Rattle River Trail. Great sunset hike. I haven't done it from the other trails so I can't comment on those.

What?? Shelbourne Moriah is a great summit. Love all the open ledges, the marshy areas with all the flowers once you get out of the trees, etc. Better peak than Moriah itself in my opinion. I usually do an out and back via Rattle River Trail. Great sunset hike. I haven't done it from the other trails so I can't comment on those.
It's a long boring hike to run of the mill tundra surrounded by mud pits. But hey, it's just my 2 cents, mountains are a different experience for everyone.

A vote for Glen Boulder Trail to Rocky Branch. If your A Trailwrights 72 Peakbagger not that far out of the way to pick up Boot Spur. Yea I know why not just go up Boot Spur Trail. But anyway the views on GlennBoulder Trail rate right up there.

It's a long boring hike to run of the mill tundra surrounded by mud pits. But hey, it's just my 2 cents, mountains are a different experience for everyone.
There is definitely a few muddy areas that always irritate me and those wacky side-sloping bog bridges along the ridge are always "fun" but overall I'll take those views.

We liked it. Did it from rt 2 on the Kenduskeag. Watched a video (Laura Soule on YouTube) of the Wild River approach. Her partner stuck his trecking pole as far as it would go in those mud pits - almost disappeared.