Glencliff Trail - Water Crossings - 1/12/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

p2piper

Reaction score
We are thinking about climbing Mt Moussilauke on Saturday (1/12) via the Glencliff Trail. I don't know the trail at all and wonder if there are any major stream crossings. With all the melting and more rain tomrorow, I don't feel like going for a swim. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Pat

If memory serves, the only water crossing is in the beginning and it is a non issue.

There are a few minor crossings, which are usually just wet spots in the trail, but nothing like having to rock-hop a stream, except, as noted, the one near the bottom. It's hard to say with all this warm weather, but I'm guessing it shouldn't be that bad.

Stream crossings will not be a problem, but the entire trail (any trail, after the current weather) may be a stream (I have not hiked since Tuesday, when the snow was still holding up pretty well).

There's a flood watch in effect for this area, No. Grafton County, until Friday afternoon. This weekend, the high temps will hover around 32F, with freezing overnight. You may want some traction like stabilicers if those wet trails form an ice skim. Next week, with colder temps and a little snow arriving, wet trails will be ice-bound.

stay home and watch the Pats :) ...It's a mess out there :mad:

For future reference, some times the minor stream crossings about half way up become incredible ice flows down the trail, but apparently this has not been a problem this winter.

Dr. D. (volunteer trail adopter with Steve Martin)