Good Beginner Snowshoe outting...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ski_adk

Reaction score
I'm looking to do a bit of snowshoeing this weekend and was wondering if any of you had any suggestions. Neither one of us have spent a whole lot of time on them, so we're looking for a nice mellow trek, around 4 mi roundtrip with a rewarding view at a lake or something like that. I'm already considering Marcy Dam as a possible destination and would love to hear some recommendations for other hikes, including anything in the Catskills.

Thanks a lot for your input...it's greatly appreciated!

NE111er453 said:
I've done Goodnow twice as a first timer for snowshoers. It's fairly short, not too steep, has a nice mix of terrain and vegetation along the way and a great summit with a tower. On a day with good weather this would be a great hike.

http://www.adk.org/trails/Goodnow_Mt.aspx

Just went there myself. It's about 6 miles round trip and 1100' of climbing as I recall. The trail meanders around the mountain and passes by the old cabin, a stable, a spring, and a false summit, before (finally!) making it to the true summit. There is another building here, restored by SUNY ESF (where my son attends), with artifacts about the days when it was used as an active tower site.

Not quite the Catskills, but I would also suggest Sam's Point Preserve. I went with some friends last year and it was good for snowshoeing (there was a lot of snow on an unbroken trail). The trail to the Verkeerder Kill falls is pretty level and a nice destination.

I don't know where you are coming from, but the eastern side of Lake George has reasonable trails and ponds (Black Mt. Ponds, Lapland Pond, Millman Pond), with the option of doing some small peaks if you feel up to it (Black, Buck, Sleeping Beauty, etc.). Pharaoh Mt. Wilderness has a number of options as well. There are also private areas (fees charged) here. I can't personally vouch for the ones listed on that site. I'll second Tirrell Pond as a nice snowshoe.

I think Marcy Dam would be good. You have good parking, a packed trail, views and a lake.
You don't have to break 18" of powder to get used to snowshoes. Once you're at the dam, you can wander and break some snow.
If you're still feeling good, head up a trail. With any luck, if you get there early, they'll be 6" of powder over the packed trail to the dam.

I think there are 2 separate muscle groups for snowshoes;
The "walking in snowshoes" group and the "breaking fresh snow" group. ;)
Exercise the first one first.

For the Catskills you can't go wrong with Giant Ledge.... easy and great views.

I second Giant Ledge , a great winter hike/views. If you're staying in the area another day, and feel good for another excellent snow shoe hike, try Slide Mtn. Start from Rt.47 and make a loop to the Curtis Ormsbee trail, then up to Slide summit, and back down to Rt.47.

daxs said:
In the Adirondacks Cooper Kiln Pond (its near whiteface) and Tirrell Pond (Blue Mountain Lake area) are easy snowshoes.

I agree with this one. The hike into Cooper Kiln Pond is nice with some elevation, a lean-to to rest in at the pond and just about the distance you want. It is definitely a nice snowshoe hike.

Another one in the same general area is a hike into Copperas Pond. Its a bit shorter and also has a lean-to. There are two trailheads into Copperas. One is short and very steep. The other is longer and flatter. I would suggest the longer trail.

When done with marcy dam, you could add MT Jo to your agenda. Goodnow is great, very gradual climb with great views. My favorite snow shoe is Mt adams just north of goodnow. Dont know were you are driving from but my first snowshoe of the year is always castle rock in blue mt lake. Only 600 feet climb with excellent view of the lake and blue mt. Blue mt is a little bigger climb if you are up to it (1600 feet). I always like to climb Hadley mt (about 1800 feet).

five_head said:
Another one in the same general area is a hike into Copperas Pond. Its a bit shorter and also has a lean-to. There are two trailheads into Copperas. One is short and very steep. The other is longer and flatter. I would suggest the longer trail.

I second this one also, especially the longer trail in, which is quite easy and pleasant. Two lakes for the price of one, as you'll go by Owen Pond on the way in.

Newcomb VIC trails

I highly recommend the easy trails at the Newcomb Visitor Center, just down the road from Goodnow Mtn. Usually great snow cover, views of frozen Rich Lake and Sucker brook, occasional otters, Ravens in the sky, place to warm up, use bathroom, watch birds at bird feeders. Several trails allow one to go out for less than an hour to several hours. Probably not in winter, but in other seasons -occasional moose sightings there!