Good Hike To Do w/ My 9-Year Old Son

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushwacked

Reaction score
First "real" backpacking in a couple weeks and looking for a couple suggestions. I'd like to get him to a "wow" location and a nice tent site w/o killing him. Somewhere that has a swimming hole nearby would also be an attraction but not a requirement. We'll be in NH so NH Whites would be a preference but other NH or ME locations considered. Going to stay out at least one night, maybe two depending on loop possibilities. I've got a few ideas but from my hikes in NH but anxiously await the expertise here. Thanks.

I'd vote for 13 Falls. It's a long hike in - 8.2 miles from Lincoln Woods - but there's very little elevation gain along the way (book time is just under 5 hours). I don't have children myself, but from the number of kids I've seen there, I think it's pretty doable.

Lots of streams along the way, and some pretty spectacular swimming holes once you get there. If you wanted to add an extra night, you could hike up to Galehead on the middle day.

Unknown Pond

It involves a longish drive, but Unknown Pond tent site from Mill Brook Road (west side) is a fairly easy hike (not too steep, ~ 2.3 miles). You could set up camp there, and then hike Horn with light packs, or even do a loop with a return to the pond for a nice swim.

Photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/32876400@N08/sets/72157624564550383/

Last edited:
Another vote for #13 Falls! It's 8-miles in, but very easy.

Send me a PM with your email and I"ll send you directions, trail info, description, etc. of that waterfall and all its swimming holes. Here are the basics:
http://www.newenglandwaterfalls.com/waterfall.php?name=Thirteen Falls

You could also do Dry River Falls. Great campsites near there and some OK swimming holes (not nearly as tempting as #13 Falsl though).

About 11 years ago, I took my then 9 year old son to Mount Washington summit via Hermit Lake shelters, then Lakes of the Clouds hut, then down Ammo trail (3 days, two nights). For a one nighter, you could stay at the Hermit Lakes shelters, then Lion Head trail (if the weather is good) or go back down to Pinkham Notch.

I also brought a 100 ft rope (yachting braid) and attached him to it on the steeper sections.:D This was also helpful on the summit cone in dense fog, where I could send him ahead in search of the next cairn, and reel him back in if needed.

Mascot Pond off the Mahoosuc Trail in Gorham, you can do it via the railroad trestle from RT 16 which adds some flat walking but interesting things to look at, or drive up the Hogan road and pick up the trail from there (just past the hydro station). The water source at the pond is marginal but there is a good stream back at the junction with the spur path. There are usually some "rock hounds" digging in the old mine tailing pile. The walk up to the viewpoint via the Mahoosuc Trail isnt that tough for a day hike and the walk down the slope from the viewpoint isnt bad if you keep to your right in the woods. There are a couple of campsites near the base of the tailings pile and there are usually a moose or two in the pond at some point during the day. I expect someone could swim in the pond but am not sure of the "leech" factor.

Get to the sites at "the Bluff" via the Great Gulf trail, 2.7 miles in from Rt. 16 trailhead...climb on the big boulder for a view...and the west branch of the Peabody River has plenty of swimming holes.. it would most likley be an out and back...another nice loop but only one viewpoint (on nearby Basin Rim Trail, getting grown in) is the Basin Trail-Black Angel Trail-Wild River Trail in Wild River (you could camp at the campground) with tentsite at the former Blue Brook shelter.. just really one climb after the tentsite...enjoy!!

Thanks

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I'll let you know where I end up.

I've been to the beautiful 13 Falls via Garfield>Twin Brook and hiked out Lincoln Woods. I'm afraid the 8 mile in/out (especially out) on Lincoln won't be quite exciting enough for my kid...it was kind of a boring hike out for me. In the running:
Hiking into Wachipauka Pond
Liberty Springs tent site to play up on Garfield and Franconia Ridge
Osgood (or Great Gulf sites as mentioned) and try for Madison and West Peabody sitzbath.
Checking out the pond sites mentioned Mascot and Unknown.

He fractured his ankle skateboarding in April...healed but I need to make sure he comes out of this thinking it was absolutely great versus limping and beat up!

Thanks again.

I'll second the Great Gulf suggestion. Go in, set up a good clean backcountry LNT site for two nights, and take the middle day to go up high with light packs. Use the Sphinx to go up Clay, for instance.

My kids (6 and almost 8) hike and backpack with me quite a bit, and two things they love are swimming holes and steep scrambly alpine stuff. Not having the full overnight pack on makes the latter much better.

+1 for getting your kid out in the wilds. We don't see nearly enough of this.