Good intro dayhike for a first-timer?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CatskillsYeti

Reaction score
Hello, all. I have taken several first-timers up to the summit of Overlook Mt. in the Cats because it's an easy hike with great rewards at the top. But it's not a really pretty hike on the way up. So I thought the Huckleberry Point hike might be a reasonable alternative, but I've never done it. Those of you who have, please let me know if this is a good choice. I'm planning to do this early to mid-June. Thanks, all.

Huckleberry Point is a about 5 miles RT, is some decent elevation gain even for the short hike but has nice views of the hudson valley.

There is one stream crossing slightly more than halfway out on the spur trail that was uncrossable in heavy rains (without debooting) so just be careful with the weather before your trip or be prepared to deboot and bring dry socks, etc. etc.

Plenty of parking at the LP trailhead, the turnoff is also marked with a wooden sign...

Other than Hunter, the other firetowers in the high peaks are moderate hikes with probably a nicer trail than the road to Overlook (at least from Meads road side). Doing Overlook from Echo Lake is supposedly very nice but longer.

Jay

Another nice beginner hike is is Bash-Bish Falls. It crosses the NY-MA border. I usually park at lot outside the main park entrance (across from the Depot Deli). From there walk through the park and camping area, cross the road, through the parking area for the falls, then the trail (dirt road) parrallels the stream, to the Falls. On the return trip you you can follow the road between the two parking areas and make a side trip to the old Iron Works. This is about a 3-4 mile hike with minimal elevation change.

MA web site

My pictures

Red Hill fire tower would be a good beginner hike......a great reward for a short walk. Ashokan High Point would be another that comes to mind.

Some excellent suggestions here. Pretty much all of them have a more interesting trail than Overlook. I agree w/ Freddy on Ashokan High Point, but I might say that one is more "advanced beginner." It's pretty easy, but the last mile or so is a bit steeper and tougher. I'll also mention Giant Ledge, which is a fairly easy hike to some nice lookouts.

Does the hike have to be in the Catskills? Halite beat me to the punch in suggesting Minnewaska State Park, which is part of the Shawangunks Ridge. There is an entrance fee there, I think $7 per carload. There are easy walks on carriageways, slightly harder foot paths, lakes to swim, waterfalls, etc. If you go up to the Gunks in early to mid June the mountain laurel should be in full bloom. The blueberries peak a little later in the summer. In some parts of the Gunks there are views that rival or better parts of the Catskills.

Other nice places to hike in the Gunks are Sam's Point Preserve and Mohonk Preserve. There are also entry fees at these places, w/ Mohonk Preserve being the most expensive since they charge by the person rather than by the car. If you want more info on the Gunks, post or PM questions.

Matt

Thanks!!

These are all great suggestions, folks. Thanks very much. VFTT has to be the best, friendliest hiker community there is in the NE!

Nope, the hike doesn't have to be in the Cats, and the Lake Minnewaska suggestion is an intriguing one.

P.S. - I also agree with Freddy's assessment of Ashokan HP. It's a great hike, I did it last June and had some great experiences with a wild turkey mom and her brood and a fawn that came stumbling out of the ferns. But it may be a bit much for this lady-friend first-timer, especially as she will be wearing practically brand-new boots.

Last edited:
Favorite beginner hike

My favorite hike for beginners is North Point via the Escarpment and Newman's Ledge up (lots of views of the Hudson), and Ashley Falls trail (lots of water) for the down. Nice loop, no backtracking, and views made memorable by Thomas Cole. The ledges give people a reason to stop and rest if necessary.

I think it's just under 5 miles RT and only 800 ft of elevation gain. Yes, there are short steep sections at the start, at the bog above Newman's Ledge, and just before No. Pt. But in my experience if you take someone on a real easy trail, they comment about it being a walk in the woods. Whereas if there are short scrambles, it does add some thing to talk about later.

Pete, if it doesn't have to be in the catskills, and seeing your from Long Island, you can even do a lot of the parks in the hudson valley, i.e. Schunemunk, Harriman SP, Van Cortland, Ringwood SP, Fahnestock, Black Rock Preserve. I wouldn't do Breakneck Ridge right now (especially after todays storm), but there's a lot of nice shorter hikes near you for beginners and breaking in boots and stuff.

I think Perkin's Tower at Bear Mtn is a very popular hike among the locals, but there are places that are less crowded with good views. Jacky Jones, or even the (active) firetower in Sterling Forest are very nice short hikes. The Ramapo Torne is a nice hike from Reeve's Meadow (aka the Visitor's Center)...

Jay