Good Luck, Ted!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beverly

Reaction score
Ted "Cave Dog" Keizer is setting out tomorrow for his epic, Bob Marshall-inspired journey to hike 50 kilometers in 50 states in 100 days. He begins tomorrow in Oregon and finishes in the Adirondacks on November 29th (a Tuesday).

You can learn about the adventure at Dog Team Website The duofold.com website also has information.

To those who may have formed an opinion of Ted sight unseen and wonder what the heck this guy is all about - find out yourself by meeting up with him on the trail. Join him for a hike - or part of it. I did last year after reading about his exploits (i.e. record setting hikes for the Colorado 14ers and the Adirondack 46ers to name two). I met him and the Dog Team for the first time two days before he set off to beat the Long Trail record.

After spending the week as a part of the Dog team, I got to know him a little bit by hiking with him, supplying him with food, clothes and a fresh camelback at supply points along the way, massaging his feet with vaseline and powdering his bottom with Gold Bond! I held his head in my lap and force fed him GU when he collapsed near the end with only Night Dog and me within barking distance. Sleep deprivation can do very strange things to a person! We gave him encouragement to get up and head to the finish line, despite his insistence that we bring the finish line to him. :p He is a one-of-a-kind, incredibly determined and focused individual and I wish him well on this new adventure.
The Oregonian
did a story on him today:
Keizer had long been intrigued by Marshall's work as founder of the Wilderness Society and a pioneer of the national park system. So he suggested the 50-kilometer project, which Marshall could not finish before he died.Keizer set ground rules: A 100-day limit. Only new-to-him hikes. Each would make a statement about geography and culture.

Like his other expeditions, Keizer says, this will be a group effort.

During past treks, members of the so-called Dog Team have navigated complicated driving instructions and made portable meals by wrapping spaghetti or mashed potatoes in tortillas. As a doctor, Rad Dog determined which sports drink took longest to become rancid and has tended his brother's blisters during 90-minute catnaps. One helper surprised Keizer by stuffing a baggie of toilet paper with a note, "Proudly packed by Alpine Summit Dog." Keizer walked with a light step all night.
Keizer's journey -- sponsored by athletic-wear maker Duofold -- will take him across America's most treasured places, from Alaska's Iditarod Trail to Florida swamps. He's planned his hikes as statements about the natural world, partly in tribute to environmental cult hero Bob Marshall.Keizer's expedition is a little bit Forrest Gump, too. He wants people to join him along the way, for a few miles, a few hours or more.
I hope to join Ted for a part of his Bob Marshall hike in the ADKs. When I tried to remind him of the very real possibility of snow, ice and winter conditions and asked him to think about an alternative - given the time of year - he said he knows it will be an epic hike even in the best of conditions, and will attempt to do it, "even if there is a remote possibility of completing the Bob Marshall 14 route. I will go for it. It is one of the hikes that I am looking forward to the most."

Live the Dream

Solstice Dog

Last edited:
SD- thanks for the reminder... Good luck for sure, Ted!!!

This is a wonderful opportunity to be part of the tour and help Cave Dog in his feat. If we can't be part of it, let's keep him in our thoughts and send him strong vibes so that he gets throught this in fine shape!!