good stuff in utah

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
going to be out there for a work thing in late october - scoping out mt mountains that might try and do while there.

looking at superior and monte cristo - any good?

how would the snow/ice situation be in late oct? I actually hoping there will be snow and ice. Might consider doing a guided thing with exum if its worth it.

any input is welcomed. If anyone wants to met up out there- thats welcomed too!

DougPaul said:
The valleys in Utah are nice too...

Bryce, Zion, Cedar Breaks, Canyonlands, Arches, Capital Reef, Natural Bridges, Grand Staircase/Escalante, Timpanogos Cave, Dinosaur, Glen Canyon, Hovenweep, Rainbow Bridge, etc

http://data2.itc.nps.gov/parksearch/state.cfm?st=ut

There are a number nice state parks too: Goblin Valley , Kodachrome Basin, etc

Doug

I whole-heartedly agree . . . LOVED the Utah Canyons. Kings Peak is a nice area also. Also Paria River Canyon was one of the best trips EVER.

sli74

I lived in SLC in 2000 and have spent some time there since. Working a relaxed 4-day week (and working near Little Cottonwood Canyon to boot) I was fortunate to have the opportunity to explore a number of the Salt Lake canyons' mountains.

If you haven't climbed in an "urban" range before, I'd recommend one of the peaks that has a view down to the city/valley. If you've only climbed our northeastern peaks, you may never have had the opportunity to contemplate a settlement of millions of people three linear miles away and 5000 vertical feet below.

Lake Blanche (best accessed from the Big Cottonwood side; google it) is a beautiful hike. There is an opportunity to press on up Sundial Peak on the far side of the lake for a more mountainous climb. Other interesting shorter-distance lake hikes include the Red and White Pine lakes.

Tanner Gulch in LCC is an interesting off-trail scramble. I found mountain goats (one alive, one dead) up there one morning in June. You can continue on to Dromedary Peak. If there is substantial snow on high, beware avalanches -- a serious issue in winter, but maybe not in October.

Lone Peak a bit farther south is an outstanding (ne)urban wilderness climb. There are big-wall rock routes on the face, but there are also walk-up routes.

As far as snow/ice, as you know the climate is different from ours. Ice is more limited in extent -- less riming. There are notable ice climbs in the SLC canyons, but they are primarily waterfall ice, and are unlikely to be formed so early in season. High altitude snow is more likely; this Halloween was a deep powder ski day at Alta and a number of the other head-of-canyon areas. Down lower (lower summits, or the valley farther down-canyon) are likely to be essentially snow-free.

Another thumbs up for the canyons...Bryce was my favorite. Unworldly rock formations and good trails off the main rim that seem surprisingly uncrowded.

Zion has amazing geography but I thought a lot of the middle of the park hikes (Observation Point, Angel's Landing) were way too crowded/paved for my liking.

Reactions: yam
My favorite slot canyon was Buckskin Draw. It's in the southern part of the state near Page Az. Spectacularly deep, narrow, uncrowded and free compared to nearby Antelope Canyon which the Native Americans charge
$18 for a 1/4 mile walk. Well worth the trip!

--------------------
"Everything's interesting... if your interested."