Gore Mt reroute....

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MtLady

Reaction score
Can someone give me info on this new trail? I read about it but doesn't give much more info than that. How long, how steep, approximate hiking time? :confused:

The reroute is only really at the bottom and at the top of the trail. The basic mileage and elevation stats stay the same. 4-5 miles and about 2600' of vertical. The start is now at the town beach near the ski bowl (to move it out of the construction area ). At the top, sections of the trail were eliminated by the construction of the "Ruby Run" ski trail a few years ago; now the trail follows work roads to the summit.

I think the trail is not recommended for travel during ski season.

If this is the "schaffer" trail (excuse my spelling) than it is very hard to follow. The last time I did it 2 years ago it was very overgrown. After the bridge crossing over the creek I finally just followed the road to the top. Maybe in the snow with the grass covered over it is easier to follow.

The Burnt Ridge Leanto burned down a couple years ago.

This is a pretty good update:

http://www.adk.org/Hikes/documents/GCRGoreMtTrail.pdf

Although there are several new ski lifts not shown on that map, and, of course, the map shows the LT that no longer exists.

We hiked the original Schaefer Trail the first year it opened, and it was in pretty good shape, but it deteriorated. I haven't hiked the new Schaefer Trail.

The Burnt Ridge Leanto burned down a couple years ago.

This is a pretty good update:

http://www.adk.org/Hikes/documents/GCRGoreMtTrail.pdf

Although there are several new ski lifts not shown on that map, and, of course, the map shows the LT that no longer exists.

We hiked the original Schaefer Trail the first year it opened, and it was in pretty good shape, but it deteriorated. I haven't hiked the new Schaefer Trail.

Thanks. Judging from the map in that update, the new trail doesn't even go near where the lean-to used to be.

I went to school with a member of the Schaefer family. We've always talked about hiking the trail together, but haven't done it yet.

Thanks everyone. I was on the trail yesterday and turned around at the waterfalls. A nice trail but didn't feel comfortable hiking there solo. Very good information TCD.