Gotta get'em

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IndianChris

Reaction score
NE hiker here looking for advice on something I am overdo to invest in - crampons. What types do most NE hikers use? Pros, cons, etc...
Thank you.

I think you'll find that most people on this board seem to prefer the Grivel G10's. I own a pair and absolutely love them. Easy to put on and they've just worked really well for me.

-Shayne

Several good brands out there. As Spaddock says, Grivels are probably the most popular. I have a pair of Stubai crampons that work fine on my leather winter boots. I know a couple of people who have Cassins. Points to consider:

-flexable enough for leather boots, if that's what you're putting them on
-easy to use bindings that stay on
-ease of adjustment for the bar, so you can easily fit them to your boot siz

Like everything else, I'd say shop around a bit, check some out/try 'em on at a local store, look for Internet deals (Sierra Trading Post), etc.

Matt

I have the Stubai ultra-lights. They are 10-point and weigh about 20 oz. They are easy on/off, even with gloved hands. They are perfect for all regular climbing in the Northeast. The only thing they're not as good for is vertical ice. Although I have used them for waterfall climbing without a problem, but all the pros tell me I want something a little stronger for that. :)

Strap-on or step-in?

I use AustiaAlpin 10 point strap-on crampons with rubber/leather boots. They're the only ones I've ever used. They work perfectly, and my boots don't slip in the binding at all. No complaints, very happy.

I'll throw my 2 cents in for Black Diamond 10 PtContact Strap Ons. I own both the Contact Strap On's and the 12Pt Sabretooth Pros. I use the Contacts very often depending on where i'm headed. The BD's seem to hold and edge better and the profile will allow plenty of sharpenings. There on and off quickly and i've never had an issue with them.

Points ;) to consider when buying crampons.

Material: steel is heavier than aluminium, but keeps the points better. In the north-east you will encounter a lot of different conditions possibly all in a single day, snow, ie, rocks, mud. It is time consuming to stop and change your footware every 1/2 hr. I recommend steel crampons.

Design: 10 points are the most versitile. 12 points are only needed for vertical ice. Anything thing less could get you in trouble in steep icy mountain conditions. Unless you are using ridgid soled boots, like plastic boots, a flexible bar should be used. (Some designs allow you to chose.)

Bindings: The bindings you chose must work with your boots.
Strap-on bindings will work with almost any boot, but are the most time consuming to put-on.
Step-in bindings are quick, but only work with some boots, ususlly ridgid soles. They are also light and compact.
combination: There are several variations combining the two types above.

I don't think brand is that important as long as it is a reputable manufacturer. All the brands listed so far are good. Look for a good deal, now is a good time of year to get deals.

Personally, I own the Grivel G-10s with new-classic bindings. Good luck!

Last edited:
I own a pair of Grivel 10 pts that I used for years and never had any issues with them, they have taken me all over the Cats, the Daks, NH and Maine. This year I was given a pair of Black Diamond 10 pt Contact Strap and find them to be excellent. Go with 10 pt steel and good straps and take the boots with you to check for a good fit.

The grivel AirTechLites are a whopping 1lb less than the comparable steel G10s. I would just save the airtechlites aluminum for the big mountains and just use the steel G10s around the NE. I used the AirTechs on Rainier and they worked well but the snowpack there is certainly more dependable than here (and of course, this strange winter we're having). Even on the DC route which is a rocky/gravelly mix, the airtechlites held up well for me, however, I wouldn't want to consistently use them on rocks. I believe Guinness bent his AirTechs on Rainier but not sure if that was on the DC...

Jay

strap on or step in???!?

i have the G-10's too and have no complaints, but.......

if you will be mostly using them with plastics, nothing beats step-in cramp-ons. i picked up a pair of BD sabertooths last year and DO NOT miss fiddling with straps when its freakin' cold. i can whip them out and put them on in under two minutes! but they won't fit my leathers like the g-10's

-william

My Petzl Irvis (10 points) works very well for me. The points are more sharp than the Grivel G10, and I think it does make a difference when the trail is very icy. Check out the Vasak model (12 points) if you have bigger feet.

Also good about them : Multiple holes in the centre bar allow precise fitting, and anti-snow plates are included (IMO you definitly need that).

Before buying my own crampons, I rented some many many times, that gave me the chance to try different types and brands. It helped define what you like and what you need as crampons.

Personal Preference - MSR Snowshoes

I almost never use my crampons. My MSRs are more versatile and I take them along even for just traction. I will bring my crampons with me though if I know beforehand that I'm going to descend some horrible snowfield or that there is going to be tons of glaze ice that my snow shoes can't handle. But otherwise I feel more safe and comfortable in my snowshoes. I have G10's and I love them. I don't have any issues with the straps either -- I just learned how put them on fast & they're great.

-Dr. Wu

Hangin' with KenC on this one.
I love my BD contact straps. They did need some readjusting after the first trip, but once they're tuned in, they're excellent. Heavy enough for ice and strong enough that rocks don't bend the points (common problem with the lightweight and aluminum ones)
I was considering both the Grivel 10's and the BD's....final decision was based on the price. The BD's were on sale that week.

Pucknuts61 said:
Hangin' with KenC on this one.
I love my BD contact straps. ...
I was considering both the Grivel 10's and the BD's....final decision was based on the price. The BD's were on sale that week.

I'll second that.

Wow! Lots of great info there. Thanks! ;)
I'm gonna try to get to campmor this week and see if they have any sales. I think I'll look into the Grivels and BDs.
I'll be sure to bring my well-worn pair of Merrell Wilderness.

Jay H said:
The grivel AirTechLites are a whopping 1lb less than the comparable steel G10s. I would just save the airtechlites aluminum for the big mountains and just use the steel G10s around the NE. I used the AirTechs on Rainier and they worked well but the snowpack there is certainly more dependable than here (and of course, this strange winter we're having). Even on the DC route which is a rocky/gravelly mix, the airtechlites held up well for me, however, I wouldn't want to consistently use them on rocks. I believe Guinness bent his AirTechs on Rainier but not sure if that was on the DC...

Jay

I have Grivel Air Tech Lights with the New Classic (not step-in) binding. I broke a back tooth on Kaaterskill High Peak (the same hike the 'bot fell off that you found for me) and they need to be sharpened after every outing. I did the Lafayette, Lincoln loop yesterday and they were dulled and I was slipping coming down Falling Waters (which is now Frozen Waters). This has been a tough winter for crampons with so little base. I would not do a multi-day with these unless you knew there was sufficient base that the dulling points wouldn't be a prob. They are light, but the trade off is durability.
I prefer the non step-in bindings, as these crampons can be used on any boot.

Chip said:
I have Grivel Air Tech Lights with the New Classic (not step-in) binding. I broke a back tooth on Kaaterskill High Peak (the same hike the 'bot fell off that you found for me) and they need to be sharpened after every outing. I did the Lafayette, Lincoln loop yesterday and they were dulled and I was slipping coming down Falling Waters (which is now Frozen Waters). This has been a tough winter for crampons with so little base. I would not do a multi-day with these unless you knew there was sufficient base that the dulling points wouldn't be a prob. They are light, but the trade off is durability.
I hiked up to Greenleaf hut and down via the Bridal path yesterday. My steel crampon points hardly noticed the wear and tear.

BTW, some crampons are made out of harder steels than others. My old rigid ice climbing crampons would most likely have shown some wear.

Doug

Petzl Irvis Flexlocks

Love my Petzl Irvis Flexlocks - they are a bit sharper/pointier thand Grivels - attach in the same way. They work fine with Sorel COnquests (size 11). One downer is the flex bar that comes with them is quite small - I think if your feet are larger than size 8 (M) you need the extender bar - and I need to go to the last holes to fit my Sorels...they hold great on snow and ice.
Available at Hilton's in Boston...a little over $100.

I found $100 bucks stashed away in an old book last night. I'll be heading to Campmor this week! :D
Something to definately consider is the type of boot you have and the type of boot you might use in the future. I only bring this up because my pair of Merrell Wilderness are about 15 years old - in great shape - but they've got a lotta miles on 'em.
Thoughts?