GPS Altitude Readings

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have been using cheaper GPS units similar to many of those mentioned above, like the Garmin Etrex, for geological mapping on Baffin Island up to 70+ degrees north with accuracies within 2 to 3 meters for lat/long, but usually no better than 5 to 10 m for altitude. We usually have lots of opportunities to reset our barometric altimeters as we are near the ocean, so we trust those more for altitude measurements. So, northern Labrador should be no problem for GPS navigation.

After teaching land navigation in the Army and being in charge of a scout squad for a couple of years that patrolled the Czechoslovakian border at night in the late wooly '70's. And teaching orienteering and doing ROGAINES and bushwacking for years you will never get my compass away from me. I always have it when I go into the woods. Always.

Saying that. I have used gps's for many years. Starting with a Magellan Meridian (piece of crap). Then using a Garmin GPS45 and GPS 12XL and now with a Garmin Vista C. I still like bushwacking and other types of navigation with just a map and compass but the GPS is fun. Especially for things like Geocaches.

I don't always take my gps into the woods. I do always take my compass. I have had the gps system turn off once while I was out in the woods because of a programming error on the sats. Also don't forget you can loose signals because of too much foliage, sats in bad orientation or the DOD just turns off the system. Use the GPS system, enjoy your GPS system, just don't trust it 100%.

I also use it for Search and Rescue as well as tracking things. To make sure the system for tracking objects is always working I have it attached to my truck. If you want to see where my truck is by GPS coordinates then look here.

Wheres my Truck?

This is all done automatically by radio using something called APRS Automatic Packet reporting system. While having this attached to my truck might be mildly amusing. Having it attached to searchers or search dogs has a real practical use. It also has lots of uses in other ways. This may be a little OT but I thought that at least some of you might find it interesting. :D

Regards,
Keith

Where's my truck?

Be nice to us or we send the URL to your wife!

I used my GPS quite a bit when I rented a bike in Amsterdam. I saved the waypoint when I parked it so I could find the darn thing among the million others and the mental debilitation I experienced while there;). I also felt quite comfortable riding through the countryside without a decent map. I always knew which way was home.

For the altitude thing, the reduced accuracy in heaight versus horizontal is due to simple geometry. You usually have satelites all around you horizontally, but they only above you for altitude determination. Thus, the extrapolation they have to do to determine height is much greater. If the gps could see the satellites on the other side of the Earth, it would be much different.

Tony

Last edited:
Garmin 60CS altitude accuracy and Cabot

We just did Cabot Sun. and even in the tree cover on top of Cabot my 60CS gave a altitude reading of 4183 which is 13ft. off. I'm 6' 2" and the antenna is on top of my pack so deduct 6ft. and it is only off by 7ft.

Not bad. I did have it on since leaving the trailhead almost 3hrs. before.

If I stayed there longer or had a better view of the sky it might have honed in better. Who knows.

Just thought I'd post it so anyone who wonders about the accuracy of these units.

Just to go there and turn it on I don't think you'll get that reading.

My Garmin legend gets good readings. I wear the GPS in a holster clipped to the top of my shoulder strap of my pack. Once the unit gets a good reading it continues most of the time. I lose the signal sometimes in ravines or heavy tree cover, but it usually picks up again within a couple minutes. When I used to wear it around my neck, besides being annoying, it never got a good signal.