GPS for summit finding

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna

Reaction score
I might get a GPS for hiking at Christmas. I'm not sure if I want one, but if I do, what should I get? Or should I just practice using my compass?

I'd appreciate advise and comments. And, just so you all know, I don't have the best "sense of direction" and I want to bag some bushwhack NEHH.

Thanks.

Still need Coe, eh? :D If you go up the Slide, you really can't miss the summit! :)

P.S. you'll still need compass skills...

Jay

A GPS can also be helpful for finding unmarked trailheads as well as summits... :)

The first decision would be mapping or non-mapping.

A mapping unit:
* displays your current location, track, and nearby waypoints on top of a map,
* Locations easily transferred between map and GPS by inspection.
* Has a simple basemap, you have to buy topo and/or road maps and install them from a computer
* Can transfer waypoints, routes, and tracks to/from a computer.
* Get a color display. Much easier to read.
* You will need to purchase Garmin digital maps to load onto the GPS. (Which can also be viewed on your computer.)
* Top of the line Garmin 60CSx can be purchased for about US$300. (There are cheaper units with fewer features.) Topo USA 2008 for ~US$80. A 2GB micro-SD memory card <US$20.

A non-mapping unit:
* displays your current location, track, and nearby waypoints on a blank background.
* Locations transferred between map and GPS by numerical coordinates.
* Cannot load or display maps. (You can put in some waypoints for goals/orientation.)
* Can transfer waypoints, routes, and tracks to/from a computer.
* B&W display ok.
* I suggest you get digital maps (viewable only on the computer). You can transfer waypoints, routes, and tracks to/from the GPS.
* Garmin eTrex H can be purchased for ~US$90

General:
* Get a "high-sensitivity" unit. Don't even consider a non-high sensitivity unit.

IMO, The mapping is very worthwhile. The GPS is much easier to use.

This topic has come up many times. http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26163 gives some additional info, but it focuses on basic non-mapping GPSes. Another is http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?p=217412 (which contains more links). To search for others, you will need to use Google advanced search--the search engine on this BBS does not index the acronym "GPS" (or any other 3-letter words).

In the Garmin line (I'm not up on the details of other manufacturers lines), I'd consider the following:
* Non-mapping: eTrex H https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144&pID=8705
* Mapping: 60CSx, 76CSx, 60Cx, 76Cx, eTrex Legend HCx, eTrex Vista HCx https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145

Route planning is essentially the same whether you use a GPS and/or M&C to execute the route in the field.

Doug

I haven't checked all the other threads on this topic, so I could be redundant here...But I just wanted to point out that the GPS isn't always 100% accurate when it comes to the summit, especially on the less "popular" peaks (the trail-less ones mainly). My GPS helped me find the summit of Esther when two climbing parties missed it before me, but it also wasted 20 minutes of my time trying to find the "real" summit of Street, after I had already passed it. So as with most technology, please take it with a grain of salt. It's another tool, but not a bomber solution to finding all the true summits.

I haven't checked all the other threads on this topic, so I could be redundant here...But I just wanted to point out that the GPS isn't always 100% accurate when it comes to the summit, especially on the less "popular" peaks (the trail-less ones mainly). My GPS helped me find the summit of Esther when two climbing parties missed it before me, but it also wasted 20 minutes of my time trying to find the "real" summit of Street, after I had already passed it. So as with most technology, please take it with a grain of salt. It's another tool, but not a bomber solution to finding all the true summits.
Actually, this is more likely that the map doesn't tell you exactly where the summit is located. A consumer GPS is accurate to ~10 meters under good receiving conditions (summits tend to have good receiving conditions...).

A GPS can get you pretty close to where you tell it you want to go, but if you tell it the wrong location, it will just as happily direct you there too.

Doug

Actually, this is more likely that the map doesn't tell you exactly where the summit is located. A consumer GPS is accurate to ~10 meters under good receiving conditions (summits tend to have good receiving conditions...).

A GPS can get you pretty close to where you tell it you want to go, but if you tell it the wrong location, it will just as happily direct you there too.

Doug

Ohh, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks. I did download the most up-to-date version of the map, so I imagined it would be more accurate.

Just bought a "SanDisk 2GB MicroSD/TransFlash Card with SD Adapter" via Amazon for $5.99, which included tax and shipping (none charged).
Even better.

I saw a ~$10 price recently but I wasn't sure if it was a special sale so I figured <20 was a safe statement. They were ~$30 when I bought mine...

Doug

Even better.

I saw a ~$10 price recently but I wasn't sure if it was a special sale so I figured <20 was a safe statement. They were ~$30 when I bought mine...

Doug

The prices are amazingly low. I bought the 2GB chip and adaptor, plus a 1GB chip for less than $10. It took a bit of searching to avoid shipping, but only about 5 minutes. Larger capacity versions are also inexpensive, but I seem to recall a post you made that the Garmin's are reliable only up to 2GB.

I'm impressed how many "maps" I can download to the 60CSx even with the comparatively small factory chip.

I might get a GPS for hiking at Christmas.
If I spent the money on a GPS Donna I would use it more than just Christmas, but if you get rid of it after send me a PM.:cool:

The prices are amazingly low.
Today is one of the biggest E-shopping days of the year. People are looking for what they couldn't find over the Black Friday weekend or think to themselves, "I wonder if I could find that online cheaper". With that retailers get competitive, so it's the right time to go looking for a deal online, just like Black Friday is for "walk in store" type of sale deals.

I just purchased the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSX, literally just purchased, I have it two weeks. With some help from friends that have them, and reading the book, and using it, it is really easy to use, easy to load maps, tracks, routes and download your tracks and routes when you get home. I am not really using it for route finding, but for things like tracking distance and elevation while hiking, looking at the maps to see where I am during the hike, just getting comfortable with it and its features. Will I use it for route finding, sure, after I figure it all out. :) My first goal is to become comfortable with map and compass navigation first, have this as a backup. I got it from Amazon for 299.00 free shipping, that was the cheapest price I could find three weeks ago. I also purchased the mapsource topo for the us and nat'l geo topo for NY/NJ and I am happy with both of those as well. I am using the NG topo to do routes and waypoints, then load the route to my gps.

Cindy

The prices are amazingly low. I bought the 2GB chip and adaptor, plus a 1GB chip for less than $10. It took a bit of searching to avoid shipping, but only about 5 minutes. Larger capacity versions are also inexpensive, but I seem to recall a post you made that the Garmin's are reliable only up to 2GB.
Depends on the GPS model--2GB is the limit for the 60/76Cx. I believe the limit is higher for the Colorado and Oregon.

I'm impressed how many "maps" I can download to the 60CSx even with the comparatively small factory chip.
There is a 2025 map segment limit for the 60CSx. I reached this limit before size limit (I think I have ~1.3GB of data). Map segment size varies with the map segment and with the map product. The topo 2008 segments are fairly small. (I believe the map segment limit is also higher in the Colorado and Oregon.)

Doug

Today is one of the biggest E-shopping days of the year. People are looking for what they couldn't find over the Black Friday weekend or think to themselves, "I wonder if I could find that online cheaper". With that retailers get competitive, so it's the right time to go looking for a deal online, just like Black Friday is for "walk in store" type of sale deals.
Haven't checked the net today ("Cyber Monday"), but I did a quick check over the weekend and found a low for the 60CSx just below US$300. REI has a bundle of the 60CSx, US Topo 2008, and a case for 389.99 which is a rather good price. (However, this only lasts a few more hours--until 12/1/08 11:59pm Pacific time.)

Doug

Still need Coe, eh? :D If you go up the Slide, you really can't miss the summit! :)

Very funny JayH!

"If I spent the money on a GPS Donna I would use it more than just Christmas, but if you get rid of it after send me a PM."

Very funny ColdRiverRun!

Hey all, thanks for all your help. I really want to learn to use my compass and map...what? no volunteers to help me learn?

I think my son is going to buy a GPS for me anyway.

I don't have the best "sense of direction" and I want to bag some bushwhack NEHH.
I really want to learn to use my compass and map...what? no volunteers to help me learn?
DougPaul could probably help you find those peaks with an abacus ;)