Grafton Loop Trail (GLT) Backpack Trip - LONG

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great Tr and loved the pics...those walkways were sweet. I felt like I was on a cat-walk when I was on them. It felt really funny being on a summit and picking your walkway for views....I also checked them all out!
That must of involved lots of work to make those!!!

The new section is really sweet, we had the campground all to ourselves when we were there and the sites are small but at least separated by space and the bear boxes are nice to have use of.

Doc McPeak said:
Great report! Sounds like my kind of backpacking trip. I'm headed for GN in late summer, but only have time for a pair of day hikes. What do you recommend? Initial plans were for Goose Eye and Baldpate, but Puzzle sounds awesome.

Puzzle is obviously cool, but I can't argue against Goose Eye or Baldpate either. The entire area of Maine is just amazing. I think that the view from Puzzle might be slightly better than the view from Baltpate, tho, since you get to look right up into Grafton Notch. But I can't go as far to say you should do Puzzle over Baldpate. :)

Play it by ear - if you are feeling social and want the opportunity to run into a thru-hiker or two, hike up Baldpate. If you're feeling more up for a solitude hike, hike Puzzle. Or, if you are looking to save gas, hike Puzzle and Baltpate so you don't have to drive around to Goose Eye. :) Lot of help I am...

Great report. I had to cancel my plans for hiking Glt last week but your report
really makes me want to reschedule.

chomp said:
Comments are welcome.. even the unwelcome ones. :)
Caution: captions may be hilarious :cool:

"If the AT could make a video about itself titled "I am awesome", this would be the first photo."

"View from the Eyebrow. Wow. Don't miss this. If you do, make sure you look at the road when you get back to your car."

"I'm a computer geek - we love three letter acronyms. Wait a sec... TLA's. Awesome"

"This historic marker has been here since 1988. Imagine, the person that installed this marker probably voted for Michael Dukakis. Dukakis!! Just imagine..."

"Who doesn't love rebar? The AMC would have put an escalator in here."

Doc McPeak said:
Where's the best place for a good map of these new trails?

There's probably something better that's out (if not hopefully soon), but the MATC site has a word document download with a map and mileages on the Grafton Loop portion of their site.

http://www.matc.org/glt1.htm