Grafton Trail Loop - Dog Friendly?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fluffy

Reaction score
We're planning a hike of the Grafton Trail Loop in the Mahoosics this coming weekend. One trip report we read spoke of some metal rungs installed on a vertical piece of ledge. Friends who have hiked the trail before do not remember such a ladder. We would like to bring our dog, who is perfectly capable of doing the distance, but could not of course negotiate a vertical ladder, and he's too big for us to haul him up or down it.
Does anybody know whether or not that ladder is a part of the trail? Is the trail otherwise dog-friendly? Our dog has done the Pemi loop 3 times with us, and has no problems there. He'd be much happier hiking with us than being locked in a kennel for the weekend, but we don't want to get out on the trail and find an impossible obstacle for him.

any help out there???
thanks,
fluffy:confused:

Terra did just fine on the Grafton Loop (both west and east sides) just a few weeks ago. You can read more in our Trip Report.

On the east side while descending off Baldpate there is indeed an iron rung ladder (click for larger view). I don't recall if Terra came down the rock or did a go-around in the scrub, but I'm certain she had no problem there.

There are also wooden ladders on the west side ascending Stowe, but they're just like stairs and T went right up them. There's plenty of room for a dog to go up the side here, too.

("ascent" and "descent" are based on our clockwise loop)

Thanks, exactly what I needed to know

Hi Mike,
Great trip report... let's me know what we're in for, and most especially that
it looks like Tucker will have no issues. We're doing the whole loop fast packing, in one day, so would hate to get 3/4 of the way around and have to turn around and go back! If Tierra was able to manage the area with the metal rungs, then Tucker can find a way. Here he is on a rather steep pitch doing just fine.
PemiLoop

Thanks so much for the info.. we look forward to seeing the trail. Or at least, SOME of it sounds great....
happy hiking!
fluffy (deb)

The only issue I remember when doing a counter-clockwise loop from the road up to Puzzle Mountain was no water source. This was just after the trail opened. I doubt it will be a problem with the monsoons of this summer.

There was a very nice brook between Rte 26 and Puzzle where we got water. I might be able to pull a GPS point, but if you look at the trail map there are two major zig-zags, and it's a little ways up from where it finally starts going east for good.

There's water at Stewart campsite, a trickle at the "water" sign but keep following the blue-blaze and you'll come to a very nice ravine with terrific water.

There's water between Puzzle and Long, but it's adjacent to clearcuts, heavy on the tannins, and the trail notes online say "of questionable quality". There could be pesticides, too.

We did not investigate the water source for Town Line campsite, but Knoll and Lane campsites are adjacent to a beautiful brook which the trail follows and crosses numerous times.

East Baldpate campsite has a great ravine behind it with really good water. I believe you cross it on the trail itself just south of the campsite.

There are rivulet water sources at the West Baldpate Shelter on the AT and one or two along the AT, hard to tell since it was post-rain what was a stream and what was runoff.

On the west side, the trail down at the south end follows a brook for a while and has good water a considerable distance until the climb gets going up Bald Mountain. Then I don't remember anything (except a wallow, which I wouldn't use as a water source) until after Stowe Mtn, following along the contour and crossing tiny streams or rivulets here and there. One such is the source for Slide Mtn campsite, while Sargent Brook's source is a short distance along the spur trail. I'm not sure I remember any other water, even in Miles Notch, and definitely not on the home stretch to the top of Old Speck.

I just did the loop this past weekend (going to post a trip report sooner or later), and if I remember right I think none of it is too unfriendly for dogs, even that section of rebar ladder.

As for water sources, there is no shortage whatsoever. On friday, the trail itself on the north side of Puzzle Mountain was a great water source... running like a river :)