Gray, Skylight and Marcy, June 23

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gail

Reaction score
Gray, Skylight and Marcy
Mimi, Danny and I started up at 9am from the ADK Loj trailhead.
The sky was a beautiful blue with a few clouds here and there and cool temperatures, a perfect hiking day, but then, aren’t they all!!
The trail was quite wet and muddy, more like a steam in some places than a trail!
Near the Opalescent River, the beaver dam had apparently broken in the autumn and there was a lot of flooding on the trail; Mimi had already warned us about this from reading other trail reports. When we got to the dam area, we were surprised at the amount of water everywhere! We skirted to the left of the trail in two places and found our way back to the trail each time with no problem. We had maybe gone about 20 to 30 feet from the trail to avoid the flooding. It was kind of fun ducking in and out of the trees and bushes looking for dry ground! And apparently we weren’t the only ones; we could where others had been before us.
Well, we ate lunch at Lake Tear of the Clouds. I can’t think of a nicer place to go to for lunch. Imagine, we often joke about flying to Paris for lunch; but the three of us at lunch at Lake Tear of the Clouds, now that to me is much more impressive! What a great name for such a beautiful little lake nestled high up in the Adirondacks.
Gray was waiting for us; we took in the view, a few pictures and headed down. Gray was a fun hike up with all the rock to climb and the view was terrific.
Skylight was next. Skylight is something else. I remember the first time I did this hike it felt like we were walking up to a temple at the top of a mountain. Well, now I know why. This mountain is nothing short of spectacular. The summit is stunning, no words can do it justice, you just have to be there and see it, and if you have, you know what I mean.
We forgot all our aches and pains and suddenly felt so full of energy. Every time we meet people up there they seem to feel the same way. There just seems to be something magical about this mountain.
The hike up Marcy was great as well. When we were up there I stood on the highest point for a while, and I thought, I am at the highest altitude of anyone in New York State at this time! (My brother kindly reminded me unless you are flying of course) Well; feet on the ground, is what I meant. Kind of a neat thought, it made me smile, then it was Danny’s turn for a while!
On our way down we met a nice young guy who was coming up to watch the sunset with his dog. We would have loved to stay but had to get back to Montreal; maybe another day!
The three of us needed this hike; too much stress at home, at work, in the city! Funny how such extreme exercise as a hike can rejuvenate you, help you solve a lot of troubles and send you back home feeling new and free of the pressures of every day life.
Danny said that there is nothing you could do to make this a more perfect day! I guess I have to agree! A great hike and great friends to enjoy it with! Thanks to you both for another great day!

Gail said:
Gray, Skylight and Marcy
Near the Opalescent River, the beaver dam had apparently broken in the autumn and there was a lot of flooding on the trail; Mimi had already warned us about this from reading other trail reports. When we got to the dam area, we were surprised at the amount of water everywhere! We skirted to the left of the trail in two places and found our way back to the trail each time with no problem. We had maybe gone about 20 to 30 feet from the trail to avoid the flooding. It was kind of fun ducking in and out of the trees and bushes looking for dry ground! And apparently we weren’t the only ones; we could where others had been before us.

We were there just before you Gail. We were there almost at the same time. We left South Meadows early saturday morning up by Lake Arnold and return by the same path. As discussed with MiMi, we left Skylight at 1.30h. So when we passed in front of Gray herd path, you were on your way down. Next time.