Great Gulf Trail in Early May

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuco

Reaction score
I searched but didn't find any trail reports on the Great Gulf Trail in early May so I'll ask here- has anybody been up the GG Headwall in early May and if so, please share the conditions.

I realize the variability from year to year but wondering the safety level of heading up that way at that time.

Thanks for any feedback.

A lot of folks ski the classic upper Great Gulf gullies from the top in May (i.e., they approach by skinning up the Jewell Trail until the Auto Road opens, which is commonly used thereafter).

I've been up it in late May and was close to the point of needing both snowshoes and Deet (doh!). In early May you can leave the Deet at home but might still need snowshoes. Due to the winds, the GG doesn't get quite near the amount of snow as Tuckermans, but being on the North side, it doesn't get the sun either...

Thanks both of you. We'll see how the weather plays out; I wasn't sure if ice and the steep trail made it a rough go up the headwall.

When I went up it last September, it was kind of challenging to find the trail which is marked with fading old yellow blazes and small cairns. I understand that winter avalanches often carry away the cairns and they have to be rebuilt. Good luck.

One thing I would be careful of the water levels. The Peabody River drains the entire basin, so it can flood quickly. I've been caught on the wrong side of that in early June after a day of rain. Getting across almost killed me and my dog. If you have lots of warm weather and some rain before, be advised.