Green Mountain Club names new executive director

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really liked Ben Rose, but I'm sure Will will be pretty great. I'm very interested to see how Will's presence effects things at the Club and on the trail. Change is exciting!

The GMC seems to be following the AMC maybe 30 years behind, there was a time when AMC bigwigs were former hutmen or similar staff but now they just seem to come from the generic nonprofit world.

Ben Rose was actually on his 2nd stint and knew the Long Trail and GMC very well, it would have been very hard to match that. But I'm sure many applicants were current or former GMC staffers and end-to-enders, it's telling that instead they hired an occasional hiker who doesn't even live in VT but is expert at getting government grants.

It's going to be hard to fill Ben's shoes.

Let's give the new guy a chance and see how things go.

The GMC seems to be following the AMC maybe 30 years behind, there was a time when AMC bigwigs were former hutmen or similar staff but now they just seem to come from the generic nonprofit world.

Ben Rose was actually on his 2nd stint and knew the Long Trail and GMC very well, it would have been very hard to match that. But I'm sure many applicants were current or former GMC staffers and end-to-enders, it's telling that instead they hired an occasional hiker who doesn't even live in VT but is expert at getting government grants.

My sentiments exactly.

I have many reservations about the selection which I will not detail. However, I do know some of the directors and trust them with their decision.

At this point, only time will tell.

I have many reservations about the selection which I will not detail. However, I do know some of the directors and trust them with their decision.

Do tell. I appreciate your not wanting this to become a gossip fest, but I'm curious. I don't see anything the GMC does as leading toward opening a Highland Center, or anything like that. And the sense I got from Ben was not a hiker in disguise as a businessman. He was very much a professional who also happened to be a hiker. If hiring someone from "the generic non-profit world" means the club will raise more money for protecting the trail and doing work on it, I'm all for it.

Do tell. I appreciate your not wanting this to become a gossip fest, but I'm curious. I don't see anything the GMC does as leading toward opening a Highland Center, or anything like that. And the sense I got from Ben was not a hiker in disguise as a businessman. He was very much a professional who also happened to be a hiker. If hiring someone from "the generic non-profit world" means the club will raise more money for protecting the trail and doing work on it, I'm all for it.

Again, I agree. However, Mr. Wiquist isn't from the "generic non-profit world"; he's been a press secretary for three-and-a-half years with the federal government.

His experience would demonstrate that there are few who can broadcast the GMC's message more clearly, to a large and perhaps newer audience, and by way of not only the traditional media sources, but the newest and quickest social media as well.

All positives from my perspective. I will stick to the positive.

New GMC guy

As VP for Trails and Shelters in the CT Section of the GMC, I say let's give the person a shot. I'd like a bit more outdoor experience but his organization and fund raising experiences are great.

Within the GMC, the word seems to be positive.