Green's Cliff 2/9/08

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

campsite

Reaction score
Julie, Fran, Fred, Keith and I followed the Sawyer River trail for a short while before turning right on a snomo trail and following that for a few minutes until we crossed a bridge. Heading on a 75 degree bearing through wide open woods, we eventually came up to the steep SW slope of Green's Cliff. Traveling to the NW for a short while, we soon found a way up to the ridge which we then followed through mostly open woods until reaching the SW corner of the summit ridge crest. Turning to the NE, we walked through wide open woods until encountering a thick/scratchy section for about 10 minutes before reaching the summit register. Initially unable to open the bottle, Keith used a lighter to melt the ice under the cap. The contents dated back to the late nineties. A new bottle, with notepad, (along with the contents of the old bottle) was hung up. The old bottle was left hanging.
BW conditions were close to ideal: 8-10" fluffy snow on a a consolidated base. Much better than last week's granular snow.

If you're going to replace the container, it just seems like littering to leave the empty jar hanging there, too. Is there any particular reason you leave the old ones? I noticed that this is at least the second time you have mentioned doing this... Let's try and keep these summit register sites as unobtrusive as possible, shall we?

I was looking at that last week while exploring bogs in the area. I decided I didn't have enough time to enjoy the adventure. Did you make it to the ledges? Nice views? Any pics?

happy trails :)

campsite said:
A new bottle, with notepad, (along with the contents of the old bottle) was hung up. The old bottle was left hanging.

Nice job guy's! :)

I always leave "historical artifacts" behind. I've replaced many jars in Maine. The broken ones lay where they fall, the ones with rusted caps still hang. I never disrespect bushwhack karma by messing' with relics of the past... although the summit of Rump with it's 3 (or 4?) jars and multiple yards of bright orange ribbon does have the look of a Christmas day gone bad :eek: :D :D

Thanks for sharing your fine report on Green's Cliff. I've been wanting to visit it. You've given me an idea for a good approach. Judgeing from other's reports weather on Saturday was not condusive to good views, but 1Happyhiker has a marvelous picture he took on his webwshots albums features a very fine view of Carrigain Notch.