Gremlins Party on Katahdin celebrating Pinpin’s 1st trip ever outside Dacks in winter

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oncoman

Reaction score
Had been trying to organize a oneday trip to Baxter for over 2 yrs now. I knew this was going to be quite a challenge to find partners crazy enough to join me for a 20+ miles winter trip to Katahdin/Hamlin from Abol Bridge, or even worst a 30+ m. one to N. Brother/Fort, let aside the weather problems. But 2008 was going to be my year!

On Sat. morning the 15th of March, at 03h50, Carl and his brother Graig pulled in the Abol Bridge parking lot where Réjean & Alain had slept in their cars, as well as I. As for Gabriel, the youngster of the group in his early twenties who had rided with me, I had kicked him outside my car – no room. No preblomo for him. In less than 30 min. he was nicely settled in for the night in his self-made Quinzee!

The plan was to summit Katahdin via the Abol slide and weather permitting, to attempt crossing the ridge to Hamlin.

At 04h20 our party of 6 was off on the Abol Stream trail under light snow flurries. Countless deer tracks could be seen crossing the trail. I took the lead, setting a pace that I hoped wasn’t too brisk. No one seemed to complain; though after the first ½ mile some decided to take off an underlayer or two. By 06h00 we were at the Abol Slide trailhead. The campground seemed totally deserted.

After a 15-20 min. rest we marched on, our headlamps now stored away. Sky very grey with persistent snow flurries. Visibility limited to about 50 yards. Near base of slide Craig & Carl decided to put their crampons on. The others kept their snowshoes on but you had to be extremely careful as the snow layer was quite crusty and often icy. The climb was laborious and for some requiring frequent rest stops. But we eventually all made it up the slide. The landscape was arctic looking, totally deserted of any living creature. Due to minimal winds the silence was impressive with whiteout surrounding us on all sides. WOW!

We tried to follow the cairns but lost them at least temporarily but with the help of our compasses quickly came back on course. By 10h20 we were all dancing in joy on Maine’s roof top, whose winter beauty left me totally speechless.

A photo session then followed but to make this a memorable one for Alain, we all pulled out from our packs a surprise companion to cheer up Pinpin III, who seemed somewhat uneasy and insecure, being for the first time outside the Adirondacks in winter. So all our bunnies rapidly cheered him up and after a very short while it was quite a Gremlins party up there.

Pinpin III ‘s confidence now recovered and with his legendary ability to sniff out the cairns and trails even under 12’ of snow & ice, we had no hesitation whatsoever to descent in the total whiteout towards Hamlin. But after a few minor skiddings we all decided to put our crampons on, which we would keep on until the bottom of the slide on our way back.

Our progress on the ridge was slow due to frequent bearing taking but this was quite a strong group and shortly after 12h00 we were all on Hamlin for a 2nd party. Just can’t stop those Gremlins!

The ridge walk in the clouds was amazingly enjoyable, with no winds and very warm temps. Who needs visibility when you can see all the beauties your imagination wants to offer you right there in the white skies. When Carl pulled out his sunglasses and strolled along California dreaming style we were all green of envy.

To avoid having to go again over Katahdin we took the cutoff route. Halfway down the slide we meet another party of 6 but who had turned back near the top of the slide I gather. Too bad. Thereafter the skies cleared up with a timid sun poking through allowing superb views for the rest of the descent. Thank you mother nature! By 16h00 we were all back to the Abol Slide campground and by 18h00 to our cars, tired but very content.

All together a most memorable hike with a great fun gang. Would choose to hike again with all of you anyday. Until then happy and safe hiking.

Pics to follow shortly.

Pierre

Last edited:
I can't tell you how disappointed I am to hear that Pin-Pin didn't wear snowshoes for the whole hike. I hope you didn't put a bunch of holes on the tableland! :rolleyes: :D :p :) ;)

But seriously folks, nice report and congratulations.

Thanks Pierre for having organized that hike and it was fun hiking
with all of you (Oncoman,Pin Pin,Gabriel,Craig,Karl).

I am ready to return.....

Totally Amazing weekend!!! Unfortunate your VFTT were "limited" :eek:

Thanks for sharing your Adventure and pictures!!!

Some guys will go to grrreeeaaat lengths to meet Wickedly Wild Wonderous Women ;)

Con-grat-ule-ate-shuns :) :D :p